Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: path914 Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 12:19 AM
I'm planning on removing the hoodliner from my car to promote more air circulation and cooling, so I was wondering if anyone knows if I can do this in a way that allows me to put it back on should I decide I don't like the result.

Path914
Posted By: louisw_dup1 Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 12:57 AM
the hoodliner is held on by the tree-type push fasteners. If you are careful taking them out, they can be reused. Replacements can be found at any auto parts store.
Posted By: 2deep2_dup1 Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 01:01 AM
Yes, you can take it off and put it back on.

It's held on with push pins.

Use a pull tool and take your time and the push pins are reusable. If you destroy them you can get like 10 or 20 for like $8 at a Ford dealer.
Posted By: path914 Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 01:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

Path914
Posted By: TGO Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 02:27 AM
mine was held on by about 5,000 push thingys!!! Every last one broke into 6000 pieces and it was a major PITA. You can put it back on easily provided you don't destroy the clips, or buy new ones.
Posted By: whitegt Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 09:11 AM
Won't the paint get fugged up on the hood if you remove it? The pad is protection from engine heat.
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 11:47 AM
Mine's been out now for 2 months...no paint damage to speak of. I also trimmed the hood seal at the back of the hood/firewall down to just a narrow 1' section in front of the cabin air intake ala Bnoon's suggestion. Works great...I figure another 10hp right there! (that's 20hp with the door guards!)
Posted By: DanCanuck_dup1 Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 04:06 PM
I think there are either 16 or 18 of those plastic things...
just use caution when pulling out, that they don't go
flying and end up somewhere in your engine bay....
Posted By: Contouraholic_dup1 Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 04:17 PM
Originally posted by whitelx:
Won't the paint get fugged up on the hood if you remove it? The pad is protection from engine heat.

More for noise....my 99 doesn't have one (decontent from factory)

Most cars don't have it. It shouldn't get hot enough to damage paint.
Posted By: Cathode Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 04:56 PM
Just be careful with the torching, oh...and cutting through some of those welds can be tricky.
Posted By: DemonSVT_dup1 Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/29/02 08:36 PM

No. The hood liner is to keep engine noise levels down. Many car did not even come with one.

I took mine off a few months after I bought my SVT (~2.5 years & 25k ago) as all it was doing was acting as a heat blanket for the engine since it basically rests on top of it. Underhood temps dropped noticeably with it removed.
Posted By: GR8SVT_dup1 Re: Hood Liner Removal - 08/30/02 06:37 PM

next time it gets real hot down there in Houston, park your car in the sun for about 20 minutes.

then, take your right hand - place it flat on the hood.

The third degree burns you receive will indicate that the hood liner can't really do too much for blocking heat....as it's getting torched from the sun to begin with. haha

only kidding.

like others have said - its there more for the noise.
© CEG Archives