Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: CSVT#49 Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 03:54 AM
I just got around to installing my triple gauge pod to see how everything would look. I want to install the Faze oil pressure gauge, but I'm not sure of the best spot to install the sensor? Has anyone done this before and if so where did you install the sensor?

Thanks.
Posted By: J3SVT Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 04:35 AM
mechanical or electrical?
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 07:43 AM
The "correct" spot to install is right behind the AC Compressor but many including myself have installed it in the cylinder head under the throttle body for the ease of installation.
Posted By: CSVT#49 Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 04:07 PM
Originally posted by hot3dog3lucky3:
mechanical or electrical?

Electrical. I have a sensor that I'm trying to install.

Originally posted by 00_HO_Contour:
The "correct" spot to install is right behind the AC Compressor

Right behind the A/C compressor eh? Is there a pre-exisiting port that is being used there?

Originally posted by 00_HO_Contour:
in the cylinder head under the throttle body

Any pictures? I'm trying to see where exactly your talking about as I have the same question above, is there a pre-existing port you guys are using?

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 07:27 PM
There are 2 allen head plugs on the back of each head. Waist of time even doing this, all you will have is a gauge that tells you nothing worth knowing.

There is the oil pressure sensor that's right by the A/C compressor, and an allen head plug that is just to the side of the OEM sensor. You can either use a brass "t" fitting and sample the oil pressure from the same location as the OEM sensor, or if you can get to the allen head plug you can use that.

I ditched my A/C because of my turbo system, so I don't know if the plug in the block is accssable with the compressor inplace.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TC'd Swazo:
There are 2 allen head plugs on the back of each head. Waist of time even doing this, all you will have is a gauge that tells you nothing worth knowing.

Are you saying oil pressure isn't worth knowing? It's what some others (demon,etc.) said should be the first gauge to get.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 08:08 PM
No, getting your pressure from the back of the head isn't worth knowing. It'll make your gauge work, but the data you get is worthless.

The only way to go is from one of the two options for the block I listed.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 10:25 PM
well I think another option would be to put the gage on a remote filter as i believe that the oil filter is the first stop after the oil pump
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/14/06 10:36 PM
I have my electric plumbed to the remote oil filter, the readings still appear to be low, but I think thats just because its not mechanical. Im pretty sure todras is seeing accurate number with his mechanical gauge from the filter
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/15/06 01:08 AM
No, getting your pressure from the back of the head isn't worth knowing. It'll make your gauge work, but the data you get is worthless.

The only way to go is from one of the two options for the block I listed.

Ok my bad.

Warmonger and maybe others said that having it in the head could possibly show a pressure drop sooner...
Posted By: Pole120 Re: Oil pressure gauge... - 05/15/06 02:49 AM
I don't know if the plug in the block is accssable with the compressor inplace.

The location Swazo is talking about is the best spot i'm aware of and it is where my gauge is plumbed into. Unbolt the AC compressor(3 bolts IIRC) and behind it is the allen head plug he is talking about. You'll need a reducing fitting to tap into this location, they're easy to come by. The line runs without a problem behind the AC compressor when it's bolted back into place.

~Josh
© CEG Archives