Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: jmccann81 new instustoment cluster - 04/21/06 01:04 PM
I plan to make a trip to a salvage yard and get the speed gauge cluster with tach for the 99 ford contour se I4 and replace my non tach with it. it should be a plug and play fit.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: new instustoment cluster - 04/21/06 01:08 PM
as long as you get one from the same year it should be plug and play
Posted By: 337 Re: new instrument cluster - 07/03/06 02:08 PM
Does it matter if the gauge with the tach comes from a car with an automatic tranny going into a car with a manual?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: new instrument cluster - 07/03/06 02:19 PM
Originally posted by 337:
Does it matter if the gauge with the tach comes from a car with an automatic tranny going into a car with a manual?

Nope, doesn't matter.

If you're doing this mod, it should be noted that some of the cars without tach have no tach signal wire in the connector. You'll have to run a new wire from the connector to the signal wire under the dash in the harness, or under the hood near the PCM. Not difficult to fix. I just thought you should know so you don't freak out if your new tach doesn't work...

Posted By: 337 Re: new instrument cluster - 07/03/06 02:32 PM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

Nope, doesn't matter.

If you're doing this mod, it should be noted that some of the cars without tach have no tach signal wire in the connector. You'll have to run a new wire from the connector to the signal wire under the dash in the harness, or under the hood near the PCM. Not difficult to fix. I just thought you should know so you don't freak out if your new tach doesn't work...

Thanks a million!
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: new instrument cluster - 07/03/06 05:13 PM
One last thing. The 95 clusters are different from all others. They have a cable driven speedo and can only work in other 95 Contiques.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: new instrument cluster - 07/04/06 12:44 AM
One last thing. The 95 clusters are different from all others. They have a cable driven speedo and can only work in other 95 Contiques.

Not all...I have pulled clusters out of 95s with no cable.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: new instrument cluster - 07/04/06 05:25 AM
Originally posted by EVOLUTION VIII:

Not all...I have pulled clusters out of 95s with no cable.

Same here, mines electric.
Posted By: rouar Re: new instrument cluster - 07/04/06 06:27 PM
The cable-driven speedo on early 95s is consistent with a few aesthetic changes to the gauge: the last digit on the trip is yellow, and the trip reset is located under "10" instead of under "130" MPH. (Additionally, the center console ashtray door covers the cigarette lighter.)
© CEG Archives