Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: KerryKool Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 04:12 AM
I wasn't sure were to put this post so if its in the wrong section the mods could move it to the correct one.

Well, as the post says, what should I get? They both are going to cost about the same and both seem equally important. I am leaning toward the tint more cause of where I live (it gets very hot during the summer) and I'd get good use out of it. On the other hand if I get exhaust work done, I could get a few extra HP and a nice tone.

I need some opinions, what do you guys suggest. Thanks.

Posted By: ZeroHour Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 04:48 AM
Tint = black windows. Black = hotter car. I don't understand your reasoning on that one.

Tint = pretty, Exhaust = Pretty, shiney, and performance.

I would go exhaust before tint. Unless you have something worth hiding inside the car, then go for tint.
Posted By: muntus Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 04:52 AM
That sounds like some expensive tint if you are debating between the two. What do you want to do, look like you go fast or go fast?
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 04:54 AM
Originally posted by ZeroHour:
Tint = black windows. Black = hotter car. I don't understand your reasoning on that one.

No. Tint actually is designed to keep heat out of the car. Works rather well too. Not a big issue in PA, but here in Florida, the difference is considerable (assuming you get a good quality tint).

Why not get both exhaust & tint. You should be able to pick up a used SVT exhaust system for under $100. Hang on to it until you get the install money.

Posted By: KerryKool Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 05:04 AM
Originally posted by TourDeForce:

No. Tint actually is designed to keep heat out of the car. Works rather well too. Not a big issue in PA, but here in Florida, the difference is considerable (assuming you get a good quality tint).

Why not get both exhaust & tint. You should be able to pick up a used SVT exhaust system for under $100. Hang on to it until you get the install money.

If I can find an SVT exhaust thats what I'll do. And your right about the tint, it reduces heat inside the cabin. Think of it like shade under a tree.

I expect to pay about $200 for a good tinting and about $250 to $300 for exhaust work. But if I get lucky, Ill find an SVT exhaust cheap and install later w/ magnaflow res.

My friends suggest tint also but I'd like to see some more suggestions.
Posted By: Reebs Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:
You should be able to pick up a used SVT exhaust system for under $100. Hang on to it until you get the install money.

If I can find an SVT exhaust thats what I'll do.

I expect to pay about $200 for a good tinting and about $250 to $300 for exhaust work.

You definently can get SVT exhaust's for cheap! I got mine for $75 dollars in practically mint condition. It looks cool and you can actually feel a bit more power. I didn't have the time or patience to install it myself so I took it to a local exhaust shop and they put it on with the hanger for $30 bucks.

SVT exhuast is a great mod for non SVT's !!!
Posted By: Tourige Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 07:26 AM
Originally posted by muntus:
That sounds like some expensive tint if you are debating between the two. What do you want to do, look like you go fast or go fast?

not like exhaust is going to make you fast.

Its more or less, look fast, or sound fast(and great)
Posted By: muntus Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Tourige:

not like exhaust is going to make you fast.

Its more or less, look fast, or sound fast(and great)

"Go fast" as a metaphor for performance upgrade/asthetic vs. purely asthetic upgrade(look fast).

Of course being unfamiliar with the Zetec exhaust potential, maybe you're right.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 12:27 PM

I'm not saying tint doesn't keep the heat out... but check this out...

In Kuwait, barely anything has tint. You see anything over a super stripper Gov't fleet special Suburban in the states, it probly has nearly blacked out rear windows.

None of that over there! Only tinted windows I saw was cars brought from the States, or armored cars!
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

I'm not saying tint doesn't keep the heat out... but check this out...

In Kuwait, barely anything has tint. You see anything over a super stripper Gov't fleet special Suburban in the states, it probly has nearly blacked out rear windows.

None of that over there! Only tinted windows I saw was cars brought from the States, or armored cars!

Have you considered that their laws may forbid tint?
Posted By: GetBooby151�© Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 04:02 PM
To me depends on what you want. Looks first, or performance. I went with performance first, only becuz I had 5% on just the back windows. Then I eventually had my new tint put on.
Posted By: hotrod90019 Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 04:31 PM
I agree. You should ask yourself "what do I want to do first performance, looks, or sound." Sure an SVT exhaust will give you a nice upgrade. If i was in your shoes I would get the exhaust first. But that just me. Good luck!
Posted By: muntus Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 06:07 PM
Based on his sig, I think he has a Zetec.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 11:26 PM
a great tint will deflect heat. Maybe why you dont see any in Kuwait is the laws, could be too hot for any apreciable gains through tinting, or it may draw too much attention to the vehicle (as in Iraq they have stopped tinting some vehicles cause they marked them as "targets of interest" to terrorists.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/02/06 11:42 PM
Originally posted by loggerbomb:
a great tint will deflect heat. Maybe why you dont see any in Kuwait is the laws, could be too hot for any apreciable gains through tinting, or it may draw too much attention to the vehicle (as in Iraq they have stopped tinting some vehicles cause they marked them as "targets of interest" to terrorists.

Kuwait is very safe... and I don't think it's illegal since there are some cars with tint there. Like permanent party that brought their cars over. So if it was illegal, they would be breaking the law.

We still have to follow host country laws

...and that sucks! Means no alcohol in Kuwait (it's illegal). Was told down in UAE they get 6 beers a week

------------

Searching, I found this:

Quote:

Regarding tint, I read somewhere that Saudi Arabia is giving drivers a year to remove all tint to prevent terrorist attacks, as they have found many heavily tinted Suburbans and other SUVs carrying weapons and explosives. Lol, that sucks for such a hot country. Who knows, that law may spread elsewhere soon.

Linky Link

This is about Pakistan, but anyway

Soo... maybe it's not legal to offer it from the factory or something? I dunno... but I do know there are some!
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/03/06 02:15 AM
Okay, so,

More people perfer the exhaust over the tinting of windows. The only problem is that I want to find an SVT exhaust and I'd have to be very lucky to get one cause I have searched the classifieds and nothing turned up. And my car is pretty old and I'm not sure how much longer it will last, so I'm still not sure what to choose. Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming.

P.S. I won't be going to Kuwait anytime soon, so don't worry about that.
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/03/06 02:39 AM
Take it from someone who has had both tinted and untinted windows in the scorching Texas heat. Get the tint, it WILL make a difference. Both in the comfort level in your car, and in the lifespan of your interior. Tint not only blocks the heat, it reduces the UV that enters the interior. Less UV = less damage to plastics and cloth.

I wish I had the money currently to tint my windows. Another summer is fast approaching, and 130�º temps inside are not uncommon.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/03/06 02:43 AM
You only have 83k miles right? If you're taking care of it, it should have plenty of life left in it.

I do tint and exhaust.

Tint $115
Exhaust $85 from flex pipe back + cost of muffler

I don't really like the dual exhaust on cars that don't have the svt bumper with the dual exhaust cutouts.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/03/06 03:15 AM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:
You only have 83k miles right? If you're taking care of it, it should have plenty of life left in it.

I do tint and exhaust.

Tint $115
Exhaust $85 from flex pipe back + cost of muffler

I don't really like the dual exhaust on cars that don't have the svt bumper with the dual exhaust cutouts.

Yep, the car only has 83k, but apparently the wiring harness was never replaced by the previous owner, and the safety recall suppossedly expired for my car Jan. 06. That's why I'm worried that my car won't last, other than the car is perfect.

I want to do both so I'll see what the local window tint shops and exhaust shops quote me and go from there.

BTW, does that included the increased size pipe (2.25" is what I'd ask for.) And what is the product number for the Magnaflow resonator that fits? I'm thinking of doing the res replacement and delete the muffler setup, I hope it sounds good (not common honda ricer sound.)

Thanks for all the help.
Posted By: Reebs Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/03/06 04:26 AM
Based on his sig, I think he has a Zetec.

True, but a SVT exhaust will still work on a Zetec... just needs an exhaust shop to add a short pipe, and of course the passenger side hanger.
Posted By: muntus Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/03/06 04:58 AM
Originally posted by JReebs96sport:
True, but a SVT exhaust will still work on a Zetec... just needs an exhaust shop to add a short pipe, and of course the passenger side hanger.

I hadn't realized. That's awesome.
Posted By: SVT3391 Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/04/06 02:07 PM
I have a stock SVT exhaust in great condition for sale. Just taken off last Saturday. The two friends who helped me with the exhaust install agreed it's in very good condition. They doubt this car has ever seen snow.

I am located in central MD.
Posted By: loggerbomb Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/04/06 04:32 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:
Take it from someone who has had both tinted and untinted windows in the scorching Texas heat. Get the tint, it WILL make a difference. Both in the comfort level in your car, and in the lifespan of your interior. Tint not only blocks the heat, it reduces the UV that enters the interior. Less UV = less damage to plastics and cloth.

I wish I had the money currently to tint my windows. Another summer is fast approaching, and 130�º temps inside are not uncommon.

but make sure you get a tint that CAN block UV light. Some of the cheapo stuff wont really do the job.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/04/06 09:59 PM
I got a quote from a tinting shop nearby for $98. Thats just for labor and the basic tint. I'm sure it would be about 120-150 dollars with quality tint after I pick it out. I e-mailed another tint shop that does exhaust as well and they haven't replied yet.

As the exhaust goes, I don't think duals on my car would look that good, so I'm going to stick w/ a single exit. I'm going to see what the shop quotes me for the exhaust and go from there.

Thanks for all the suggestions CEGers.

-KJ
Posted By: KerryKool Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/05/06 12:38 AM
Sorry to double post but I need to see the different % of tinting. The one place that offered the lowest price so far says they only do the legal limit (28% in FL).

Does anyone have pics of there car w/ 25% or/and 28% tinting. I know it isn't much of a difference but I haven't seen the difference. If possible I'd like to see some pics of some rides that has 25% or/and 28%. Or even better link me to a site that has pics already that show the difference(s). Thanks again.
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/05/06 05:01 AM
go to auto safe and sound on hilssborough ave to get your car tinted. I am going there tomorrow. I have heard great things about them. Whatever you do stay away from buzz-off on dale mabry. Those guys are stuck up pricks who think they are hot poo.
Posted By: Tour_Racer00 Re: Window Tint or Exhaust - 04/05/06 03:57 PM
20% all the way around

© CEG Archives