Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ZER0 Turn signal/high bean lever re & re on a 98 - 09/28/05 08:16 PM
My dads turn signal doesn't cancel automatically and i was wondering how difficult it was to remove this lever. I am only concerned because it is arround the steering column and the last thing I would want is for the air bags to blow up on me while I'm in there.
Any tips/pointers would be appreciated as well as an estimated time to remove.
Thanks,
Mike.
Remove the upper cover, undo the screw holding it in, slide up. Install is reverse.
You remove the covers from top and bottom of the steering column, couple screws on bottom, and iirc, like 2 on top...then, you disconnect the wiring harnesses, one had a hook on it iirc, so be careful, and the actual stalk snaps on to the column, so press in a tab that you see and pull it off....very painless removal maybe 20 minutes tops...
Originally posted by ZER0:
My dads turn signal doesn't cancel automatically and i was wondering how difficult it was to remove this lever. ...

The instructions from my 1996 Fac CD is disconnect battery negative terminal, remove two screws on upper steering column shroud, remove shroud, depress Multi Function Switch (aka turn signal lever) locking tab, slide MFS up and off the steering column, depress locking tabs for MFS electrical connectors and remove the MFS. (you may want to wait 15 minutes after disconnecting the battery as there is a "capacitor"? for the air bag that needs to have the electricity dissipated. Good luck.
I hope nobody posts on this thread anymore. Todd 1 line, amarv 4 lines, me 5 lines, the next one - a PhD dissertation (???)
LOL! I gave the super abbreviated version from memory. It's easy though.
Posted By: ZER0 Re: Turn signal/high bean lever re & re on a 98 - 09/28/05 08:59 PM
Wow Thanks for the quick and awesome responses very much appreciated.
Mike.
Originally posted by ZER0:
My dads turn signal doesn't cancel automatically and i was wondering how difficult it was to remove this lever. I am only concerned because it is arround the steering column and the last thing I would want is for the air bags to blow up on me while I'm in there.
Any tips/pointers would be appreciated as well as an estimated time to remove.
Thanks,
Mike.

Really easy. I just replaced my wiper stalk, and the turn signal is just as easy. There is a tab, so be careful, but it is a very easy replacement. Top 2 screws, bottom 2 screws, wiring harness and a tab... Easy.
Very easy. And you may want to do it soon. Mine burnt up literally.
© CEG Archives