Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Hdbngr8 belt harness bar - 08/30/05 09:24 PM
I've been doing a bit of searching but am unable to find a pre-made seat belt harness bar for the Contour. Anyone know where I might find one, or will I need to fabricate one?
Posted By: Pole120 Re: belt harness bar - 08/30/05 09:32 PM
one person Dion has had a WRX bar modified to fit his contour.

After completion of the strut brace i have out at quote right now, i'll be starting on my harness abr design.

Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 08/30/05 09:33 PM
Do you have an estimate on when you may have a bar designed?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: belt harness bar - 08/30/05 09:42 PM
Originally posted by pole120:
one person Dion has had a WRX bar modified to fit his contour.

After completion of the strut brace i have out at quote right now, i'll be starting on my harness abr design.

You'd better make me one!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: belt harness bar - 08/30/05 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Hdbngr8:
Do you have an estimate on when you may have a bar designed?

month, proboly closer to 2

Josh

Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 08/31/05 02:15 AM
Here's my bar!

Like Josh said, it's a modified WRX bar by www.rallyinnovations.com . Technically, it's a one-off, but John at Rally Innovations would be willing to make another. Or you can wait for Josh to design his jig so he can produce several!
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: belt harness bar - 08/31/05 02:16 AM
just get some angle iron, weld it to the b-pillar and you're good to go!
Posted By: Pole120 Re: belt harness bar - 08/31/05 02:24 AM
dion...does john have a price on one?

of the price is right theres no reason for me to make my own...tho i'ld have him leave the end plates off and i'ld do something diferent there.
Posted By: R_G Re: belt harness bar - 08/31/05 11:03 PM
GB?
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: belt harness bar - 09/01/05 04:46 PM
Originally posted by R_G:
GB?

Gb.....GB.....
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: belt harness bar - 09/01/05 05:10 PM
Originally posted by WestCoastAjax:
GB?

Gb.....GB.....

gravity bong??
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 09/01/05 05:15 PM
Originally posted by JeSuS:
gravity bong??

Posted By: ToTalXS Re: belt harness bar - 09/02/05 05:10 AM
gravity bong??

Posted By: JB1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/02/05 05:25 AM
Originally posted by ToTalXS:
gravity bong??

just make sure to include an emergency shut off valve so you don't waste any beer unnecessarily.
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/03/05 08:06 PM

of the price is right theres no reason for me to make my own...tho i'ld have him leave the end plates off and i'ld do something diferent there.

You'd have to call John and ask him about it. He mentioned that he could possibly make them, on an "as needed/wanted" basis.

I assume you'd do a heim joint or something like that, correct?
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/03/05 08:07 PM
GB?

From rally innovations or from Josh (pole120)?
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/08/05 04:46 PM
IIRC, I remember seeing an add in a magazine for Sparco harness bars. I never checked myself if they made one for Contiques because I was sure they didn't.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 09/08/05 05:04 PM
The only Ford listing I saw in their catalog is for the Mustang
Posted By: Pole120 Re: belt harness bar - 09/08/05 05:27 PM
Originally posted by dion:

You'd have to call John and ask him about it. He mentioned that he could possibly make them, on an "as needed/wanted" basis.

No, i'ld do the plates so that the b-pillar trim could be placed over it, it may require a bit more bend on the bar than he has on your piece tho.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: belt harness bar - 09/08/05 08:15 PM
The only Ford listing I saw in their catalog is for the Mustang

what'd you expect.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 09/09/05 03:05 PM
Didn't really expect a Contour bar - was just hoping.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: My 3 point harness - 09/09/05 05:31 PM
Here's mine for a 3 point Sparco harness. Great for guys that aren't hardcore like Dion.

Can be removed in seconds for rear passenger seating. Made with some heavy gauge U channel and 2 L brackets that bolt into the stock location. The eyelets come with the harness and 2 holes are drilled in order for them to be secured. There is aleady a spot in the rear sill for mounting the Y point. Just need to drill through the "carpet/covering".
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/10/05 12:37 AM
Originally posted by dion:

No, i'ld do the plates so that the b-pillar trim could be placed over it, it may require a bit more bend on the bar than he has on your piece tho.

Do you mean like this?

Posted By: 111R Re: belt harness bar - 09/10/05 05:16 AM
dion: i want that harness bar so bad .

are the existing belts still on? with that said i am asking because i thought i heard you say something about it comming out in a few minutes and i would get one like that so you can take the bar out and use existing belts when you want to carry passengers/stuff.

also would make a mighty fine camera mount

-a
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/10/05 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 111R:
dion: i want that harness bar so bad .

are the existing belts still on? with that said i am asking because i thought i heard you say something about it comming out in a few minutes and i would get one like that so you can take the bar out and use existing belts when you want to carry passengers/stuff.

also would make a mighty fine camera mount

-a

The stock seatbelts are in place. John at rally innovations told me he would consider making another bar, but these won't necessarily go into production because of lack of interest and the Contour being such an old platform.

I had John put on a threaded stub that will accept a camera mount..
Posted By: 111R Re: belt harness bar - 09/10/05 07:49 AM
dion: i guess my only other qestion would be depending on a seat that uses 4-point harness, will it matter what height the bar has to be to feed in the belts?

and if you can confirm that the kit could be removed i am going to buy one. it looks ridgid.

and that camera mount is excellent

-a
Posted By: dion_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/10/05 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 111R:
dion: i guess my only other qestion would be depending on a seat that uses 4-point harness, will it matter what height the bar has to be to feed in the belts?

and if you can confirm that the kit could be removed i am going to buy one. it looks ridgid.

and that camera mount is excellent

-a

I was told by John that the seatbelt pass through area should be "level" with the bar. That is ideal, according to John.

The bar can be removed at any time. Two bolts on the floor, and the two on either pillar, and the bar is out.
Posted By: timeless420_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/11/05 04:49 AM
If copies of this are ever made I would snap one up in a second.
Posted By: SVTFern_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 09/12/05 12:55 AM
I would buy one of these in a heartbeat.

Fern
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 04:16 PM
I'm going to bring this back up. I've e-mailed rallyinnovations and haven't received a reply. Maybe it never got to them, lost in the shuffle, whatever. Did anyone ever attempt to order one?

DION - Do you know if they would still be willing to make more?
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 04:20 PM
I sent an e-mail to Mirko Racing a couple months back and asked if they would be interested - Albert repied they would be provided someone produced some specifications for the bar. However, after doing a great deal of research I have concluded that a harness and harness bar are not good things to have UNLESS you have a roll cage (or at a minimum a roll bar). Therefore I will pass until I put a cage in the car. If anyone else is still interested contact Mirko Racing.
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 05:47 PM
However, after doing a great deal of research I have concluded that a harness and harness bar are not good things to have UNLESS you have a roll cage (or at a minimum a roll bar).

You mind expanding on that a bit? Ive never heard that. The only thing about harnesses that Ive heard is that airbags can hurt you if you use a harness, because they dont allow the forward travel that regular belts do and you end up just getting bish slapped by the airbag.
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 05:59 PM
To keep it short and sweet, the big concern is in the event of a rollover. The roof of the car is not designed to absorb impact loads without crushing the top of the car. If you look closely at how the factory belts work, you have the ability to tilt at the waist toward the center of the car. In a rollover, with the roof collapsing, your head has to go somewhere. With the factory belts you can pivot or tilt at the waist which allows your head to lower (with respect to the height of the car). In a secured harness and seat, the belt is designed to keep you rigid in your seat. If you roll over and the roof collapses the only part on your body that can pivot or tilt is your neck - i.e. broken neck. I have listed some websites that I gathered my information from. Ultimately it is up to you if you wish to do this (there are plenty of people who do this today).

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine

This is by no means a complete list of available information - just several that I thought were relevant. I have also spoken to a few people that are serious racers and have also advised against it.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 06:14 PM
my 4 points attach to the rear stock seatbelt holes and the stock belt mounts on the seats themselves...not perfect but works since that is what the belts were original attached to
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 06:17 PM
I assume you are using the Schroth setup? IIRC, that is similar to or the same way that they market their belts. If you are not you may want to visit their website and see how they advise the mounting.
Posted By: RTStabler51_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 06:23 PM
To keep it short and sweet, the big concern is in the event of a rollover. The roof of the car is not designed to absorb impact loads without crushing the top of the car. If you look closely at how the factory belts work, you have the ability to tilt at the waist toward the center of the car. In a rollover, with the roof collapsing, your head has to go somewhere. With the factory belts you can pivot or tilt at the waist which allows your head to lower (with respect to the height of the car). In a secured harness and seat, the belt is designed to keep you rigid in your seat. If you roll over and the roof collapses the only part on your body that can pivot or tilt is your neck - i.e. broken neck. I have listed some websites that I gathered my information from. Ultimately it is up to you if you wish to do this (there are plenty of people who do this today).

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine

This is by no means a complete list of available information - just several that I thought were relevant. I have also spoken to a few people that are serious racers and have also advised against it.

I haven't read referenced posts yet, but I'm assuming that it isn't the seat bar that is the problem then, it is the 4/5 point harness itself that would pose the problem?
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 11/16/05 06:32 PM
Well, I kept it short so as to highlight my major concerns, but there are other issues with the bar (which you have so astutely figured out). A hard rear end collision (either you get hit or back it into something) with a tightened harness can cause the seat to break away from it's mounts. This could result in the occupant hitting their head on the bar and causing cranial injury. If you get some time to look at some of the websites I posted I believe this discussion came up in there as well (about hitting your head). Believe me when I tell you that this subject appears to be a very gray area.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 11/18/05 08:58 PM
it seems like a risk still worthy of taking to me. Driving to work is probably a greater risk for me than rolling my car and breaking my neck. After all, if we never took risks, we wouldn't get anywhere in life.

So my question still remains, did anyone else contact them about making more?
Posted By: Hdbngr8 Re: belt harness bar - 11/18/05 09:03 PM
Like I said - it's a very gray area, and it's a decision you have to make. Contact Mirko Racing, I'm sure they would still be interested in making the bar for you.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: belt harness bar - 11/18/05 09:06 PM
Maybe Mirko, though they always seem to want to much of either people or money.
© CEG Archives