Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: the real MEANSVT 98 mercury mystique (mods) - 07/14/05 01:46 AM
my wife has a mystique and it's paid off well instead of trading it in with only 70,000 on it i want to keep it and mod it. So my question is what's out there? id like to lower it about 1.75 inches i was also wondering if SVTF wheels will fit i know the bolt pattern's the same but how about offset. also has anyone ran a supercharger on an automatic zetec like say jackson racing or something. id also like a lip for the front any suggestions? and the the head lights are turning yellow on me so id like to change them out. Any help/info you guys have would be great i read the mods section but it wasn't to much help.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: 98 mercury mystique (mods) - 07/14/05 02:12 AM
your answers are out there on the forum, read up and have some fun with mods
Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: 98 mercury mystique (mods) - 07/14/05 02:17 AM
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=aesthetics&Number=843249&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

This post has a dealer who offers a good deal on Contour headlights. You have a Mystique (like me), might be worth a call and see if there is a deal for Mystique lights. They are still not cheap. On e-bay there are aftermarket ones, but they may not fit right. I wetsanded and polished mine in stages, they need a rebuff and wax monthly. Lots of work, many have done it. There still will be a haze in the top, but not yellow.
Posted By: paul martin_dup1 Re: 98 mercury mystique (mods) - 07/14/05 02:35 AM
welcome to the site buddy, i hope you'll have fun modding your stique.
Posted By: MazTour Re: 98 mercury mystique (mods) - 07/14/05 05:22 AM
yes,FSVT wheels will fit. I run a base model Contour with CSVT rims. I used to have a '98 Mystique 4 cyl auto. Mechanically left it stock as I thought it was a terrible car and not worth modifying,so all I did was add a stereo system,and modify the body and interior.

But yeah,there's a guy on here running around with a supercharged 4 cyl,putting about around 160hp,up from 125 stock. There's all sorts of lowering kits available and pretty much anything else you want. ALMOST anything that is made for a Contour will work on a Mystique.

Check out www.ctamotorsports.com for an idea of what kind of stuff is available for our cars. It's a Canadian site,but also has prices in USD.

Good luck. Mystique's are nice cars,but if you really want performance,your best bet is to trade up to a V6 model like I did. I actually went to the local Ford dealer and traded in my Mystique for a '95 Contour V6 5 speed. I've never made a better choice in my life.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: 98 mercury mystique (mods) - 07/15/05 10:42 PM
Yeah that's LocoSCZ. He's got the Jackson kit I believe. It's nice to see another Mystique out there. A little difference goes a long way....
Posted By: 99Mystique ATX Re: 98 mercury mystique (mods) - 07/16/05 02:20 AM
There are quite a few mods avaliable for these cars. If you are looking for visual things, you can recontent some of the pre/early 98 things. For example you can recontent the dash clock if your 98 is a late 98 car. Also, you can pick up a pre-98 antenna base which look pretty nice, better than the post 98 one IMO.

Here's a pic of my modded Pre-98 clock. It was modded to light up white.

Here's a shot of the Pre-98 ant. base
© CEG Archives