Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: rkneeshaw Can someone help identify this part - 06/11/05 09:20 PM
Maybe someone who works at a dealership or something can help me out:

I've been swapping out my rear drivers side door that was damaged on my 96 SE and installing a rear door from a 2000 model. One thing that is different between the doors (besides the illuminated door handle and wiring) is that there is no support bracket below the interior door pull handle on the newer door. In order to install it from my old door, I need two plastic "plugs" that will allow me to fasten this suppport with screws. Here are two comparison pics:

Old door:

New door:

I cannot remove these things from the old door without damaging them to the point that they are unusable.

Anyone have a way to find out what part number these things are?
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/11/05 09:46 PM
It is a square hole, so you should be able to go to a local hardware store and rummage through their stuff for some plastic pieces that resemble those. Any Auto Parts store should have something too. And since they are plastic, thread pitch won't matter since a self ttapping screw will thread itself.
Posted By: stickyjazz Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/12/05 03:26 AM
I know Canadian Tire has those things up here. Don't know equivzlent store in US, though.
Autozone carries those in their rack full of trim parts.
Posted By: Woodencross Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/12/05 04:22 AM
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Autozone carries those in their rack full of trim parts.

That's what I would suggest. Rip one out of the old door, go to Autozone and start comparing and pick up the part you need. Or, take the pictures into a Ford Dealership and show them exactly what you are talking about. They should be able to search for it in their computers easily enough...
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/21/05 06:04 PM
No luck. Dealer doesn't know where to get these either.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/21/05 06:07 PM
Did you go to AZ? Or Billybob Zone up there?
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/21/05 06:25 PM
lol, ya, went to the local carquest. Also stopped into an Advance Auto and called Bill Jenkins assistant mike, and he wasn't able to find a part # or even the little grommet I'm looking for at all.

Closest thing I've found is here:

http://www.mrgusa.com/pdfs/24-27grmet.pdf

Its just that the grommets in the old door look so much more heavy duty than these.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/21/05 06:28 PM
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:

Its just that the grommets in the old door look so much more heavy duty than these.

As long as they work. Might be hard to tell since those are illustrations.
Posted By: BK4293_dup1 Re: Can someone help identify this part - 06/21/05 06:49 PM
Junkyard.....Or maybe even the HELP! section at PepBoobs
Originally posted by Bk4293:
Junkyard.....Or maybe even the HELP! section at PepBoobs

PepBoobs???????
Posted By: Bill @ SigLM Re: Can someone help identify this part - 07/01/05 05:56 PM
Here are photos to look. I can not seem to find them.

Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Can someone help identify this part - 07/01/05 06:05 PM
Bill, this is the part I need

Posted By: Rishodi Re: Can someone help identify this part - 07/01/05 06:39 PM
You can find those at any local hardware or auto shop. It doesn't really matter what grommet you use, as long as you find one that fits snugly into the door. I recently removed the piece that fits along the underside of the car up against the front bumper, which is attached using several similar plastic grommets (and 4 metal clips on the front side of the wheels). I found that one of them was missing, though surprisingly the screw was still there, so I popped in another one before putting the piece back in place - it looked nothing like the rest of them, but it works fine. So don't worry about it's appearance, just get one that fits well so it can do it's job. Also, I don't know why you couldn't just remove them from the old door. Usually, there are two tabs on the inserted side which you have to depress in order to allow it to back out of the hole.
Posted By: rkneeshaw Re: Can someone help identify this part - 07/01/05 06:43 PM
Well I normally wouldn't be this picky about it. But the grommets I need here are for a support bracket that the door's pull handle bolts too, so it needs to hold well. These stock grommets hold to the door like guerilla's, plus they're a lot deeper than what I'm seeing at autoparts stores so more of the screw's thread is in contact with the grommet.
© CEG Archives