Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Okay....

For a recap, my car at the 1000 mile break-in put down a best of 206 whp and 192 lb/ft of torque at the SHOshops Dynojet. The Superchip that SCA had gotten for me made no extra hp or tq. The SHOshop dyno session was with all the mods listed in my sig, minus the Proflow. The car also had SHOshops y-pipe with a hollowed cat.

I got to Street Flight Sunday morning, and Chris (Keyser) immediately tells me to put my car on the dyno rollers. He tells me I'll do the "driving" and he'll work the dyno, so that is cool, because I've only watched my car dyno'ed, I've never been part of the "operations". Anyways, as Chris sets up, I pull out my old Superchip, so we can get a quick baseline on the stock computer. Chris gives me a quick run-down on dyno etiquette (do's and don'ts), and we make the first pull. My car puts down a "staggering" 187 whp and is missing like I'm turning my car off and on every 2000 rpm's. The dyno didn't record the tq figures, so we do a second run, 189.92 whp and 173.06 max tq. We make a couple of more runs, and Chris is thinking that SHOshop's dyno is a little more optimistic than it should, because we're 16 whp down. I just then realize that sometime last year, I swapped out the SHOshop y-pipe for the MSDS y-pipe and put on the factory cat. Chris agrees that the factory cat is a huge restriction, and it could be accountable for at least 5 whp.

Chris then decides it's time to start playing. He removes my S&B Powerstack, we gain some hp. A few more pulls, we're still somewhere around the 192 whp range. Chris then pulls a trick, and get's out what the Rev. Po-Jay calls the "whiz-bang". The "whiz-bang" is an 18-22" long, 3.5" round ABS pipe which Chris used to simulate a larger air filter that will help straighten out the air coming in. He also points out that my stock computer is pulling timing out at the bottom end (which Vadim also noted last year), so he adds timing down low as well. We've now had like 10 pulls or so, and on the 11th pull, we hit 197.94 whp and 187.55 max tq. A few more tweeks on the chip by Chris and by the 13th pull, we're at 200.00 whp exactly, and 187.70 max tq. Keep in mind, the car just got done with a five hour drive, and maybe a 30 minute cool down while waiting for Chris. We also made most of these pulls back-to-back with the car only being shut-down for about 5-10 minutes at a time.

The 14th and 15th pull yield no more hp, and only a slight gain in torque.

A few more chip tweeks and the car is at 200.45 whp and 187.95 max. tq by the 17th pull.

The 18th pull gets us to 200.84 whp and 189.41 max tq.

Pulls 20 and 21 get us 200 whp and 190 max tq. These pulls are with some 108 race gas mixed with the crappy 91 that we get out here. Chris threw more timing at the car, but it didn't really work out, probably because of exhaust restriction. We used a flip-chip for this side of testing, but I forgot if Chris left that state of tune in the chip or not. I do know I have a flip program to go.

The final pull is number 23, with my S&B Powerstack back on for my drive back home. The filter is so restrictive that I'm back down to 196 whp and 185 max tq.

The peak numbers aren't telling the whole story here. I laid down the very first pull from the SHOshop over the number 20 pull from Street Flight on the Dynojet RunViewer. I'm making more torque and more hp everywhere from 2000 rpm up to 4600 rpms. I'm making as little as 3.5 lb/ft tq. more to almost 13lb/ft of tq. below 3500 rpms. I'm making less top-end power because my factory cat is still in place. Chris was even going to pull my factory cat out just for "5H!t's and giggles" to see how much my cat was obstructing, but it turned out to be a pain in the ass because of the bolts I had used to put it back in. So we never got to pull the cat out. The drivability of my car is also much better, and since it's more torquey, I'm finding myself downshift less.

I'm planning on pulling out my MSDS y-pipe and factory cat and putting in my "ultra high-flow" SHOshop cat, replacing my resonator with a Magnaflow one, and getting a new, larger air filter to allow more air in. I think that Demon has the filter that I need to get, and I was hinting to Chris and Jason to ask Keith to produce a true, fender draw CAI. Chris told me he thinks my car will probably put down close to 215 whp once I get the right filter and get my "ultra high-flow" cat back on.

What an awesome experience I had at Street Flight. Chris is absolutely great. I cannot believe that more people have not used him for tuning. I would gladly drive down there again to get more test and tune sessions. And special thanks to the Rev. Po-Jay for coming by for some moral support and praying! Watching Chris work his magic was something to be admired. It's amazing what he can do and tell you just by looking at numbers .

For an extra special send off, Chris took me for a quck ride in his SVT. My god what a quick car! I want to turbo my car later in it's life!

All the way home, I was playing with the throttle, it felt like a new car again!

I have no way of posting these dyno charts because my scanner doesn't work right, but I think that Chris can.
sounds like a grand ole time! i cant wait to have chris tune my car (once its running of course) and see what kind of numbers i can get!
me too. . .!
Originally posted by dion:
For a recap, my car at the 1000 mile break-in put down a best of 206 whp and 192 lb/ft of torque at the SHOshops Dynojet.

NOTHING garnered from SHOShop's overly inflated dyno means anything.

I remember seeing near bone stock SVT's pulling 180 off of it.
Their dyno is set up to be a ringer. No question about it. I trust NO DYNO INFORMATION that comes from their shop!!!

Take these new numbers (I.E. TRUE numbers) and work from there.

The large gain from tuning is a sure sign that Chris made the engine run a hell of a lot more efficiently and those earlier BULLSH~T numbers SOSLOP's dyno hacked out are nothing more then falsely inflated garbage.

Congrats on the real dyno numbers and the great improvement gained from the tuning session.
I can relate to Chris's tuning concern as he's been with me every step of the way throughout my fine tuning.......

Shoot, I've often thought of making the 3,000+ mile drive just to have him personally tune/drive the car.....Grand Canyon trip honey????

Congrats on the new found power Dion!
Jim, you're going to have such a good time with that turbo!

Suneil, better watch it, Chris may tune your car slightly different that his....LOL.

Demon, yes, I understand what you're saying. I'm just too excited about Chris' work. thanks for the congrats!

wavrdr, thanks for the congrats also. I'm so jealous of you guys with turbo's!
I just want to know if Chris' wife knows he's sticking his whiz bang on strange people's cars?!
Dion,
I know exactly how you felt. Been there and done it twice, and I wanna go again! (I've got some plans brewing ) Chris drives my car, though, cause I'm a wuss.

Chris, Keith, Jason, and Darrell all make one hell of a sarcastic bunch. It's a hoot just hanging out! Oh, and the SF "drag strip" is a riot, too! (You know, the 1/8 mile of road next to the shop where EVERYBODY tries out there new-found power? )

Congrats on the new-found hp and tq!
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Originally posted by dion:
For a recap, my car at the 1000 mile break-in put down a best of 206 whp and 192 lb/ft of torque at the SHOshops Dynojet.

NOTHING garnered from SHOShop's overly inflated dyno means anything.

I remember seeing near bone stock SVT's pulling 180 off of it.
Their dyno is set up to be a ringer. No question about it. I trust NO DYNO INFORMATION that comes from their shop!!!

Take these new numbers (I.E. TRUE numbers) and work from there.

The large gain from tuning is a sure sign that Chris made the engine run a hell of a lot more efficiently and those earlier BULLSH~T numbers SOSLOP's dyno hacked out are nothing more then falsely inflated garbage.

Congrats on the real dyno numbers and the great improvement gained from the tuning session.

I take it your a big fan of shoshop ehh
I have been there once, and everyone there was very nice but they did seem a little unorganized. That was over 2 years ago.
And a big congrats on your dyno day dion. thats awsome.
Newbie question: Where is StreetFlight located (city,state)?
Fenix, Arimazona
Congratulations! Its good to see that your efforts have paid off even if it has been a long time.

warmonger

BTW, Chris has been a godsend over the last two years in helping me outfit my car and get it to what it is today. If it weren't for him helping me out so much it might not be turbo'd right now and definitely not on its second system. He's also a really cool guy on a personal note too!
Chris if I haven't said it before publicly, then I'll say it now....You're [censored] awesome.
Quote:

Chris if I haven't said it before publicly, then I'll say it now....You're [censored] awesome.

True that!!
Chris makes every effort possible to help customers out.

I still owe him a round of golf for all his efforts!
© CEG Archives