Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Eli_dup1 newbie drag racers, do we need helmets? - 10/02/02 02:49 AM
cross post
Depends on the track. Generally, a drag strip will require a helmet for ETs under 14 sec and a roll cage under 12 sec. (I think those numbers are right out of the NHRA rules.) However, the two NJ tracks I have been to (Atco and Englishtown) have both required helmets of all competitors. Both had helments available for rent. Must be a NJ law or insurance thing. Those were the only two places I had to wear a helmet.

AFAIK, all AutoX require helemts (and for good reason). I would assume they have some loaners on hand for newbies to use, but I can't say for sure because all of my racing has been in a straight line.
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: newbie drag racers, do we need helmets? - 10/02/02 04:09 PM
Please wear a helmet. We like you.
Posted By: onosway Re: newbie drag racers, do we need helmets? - 10/02/02 04:33 PM
If you have really really really ridiculously cool looking hair like mine, don't wear a helmet

yeah, just follow the advise the others gave. But if you're drag racing, it is required you drive with a helmet if you car is faster than 12 seconds in the quarter.
Posted By: Eli_dup1 Re: newbie drag racers, do we need helmets? - 10/04/02 01:25 AM
what should we have for dial in times? ive got a SE, v6 mtx, hes got a v6 atx.
Posted By: onosway Re: newbie drag racers, do we need helmets? - 10/04/02 01:36 AM
I don't think you have to dial in till later that night. Bracket racing normally doesn't start till later so you should get some (atleast one) runs in then you can dial in.

You'll most likely be dialing in 15.9-16.9seconds.
Take your trial runs, use the time you are running most consistently, or your fastest time. If you ran during the day, and night has fallen and the air has cooled significantly, lop off maybe a half tenth (or more) from the time.

Remember, you can usually change your dial between rounds (ask an official). If you run hard all the way out and win, but are significantly slower (or faster if you are extra lucky) than your dial, change to the last run's time for the next round. Of course, ignore this if a mistake or early lift affected your last time.
the IHRA rule book states, passengers are allowed for all cars 14.00 seconds and slower, a Snell 85 or better helmet is required on all cars faster than 13.99 seconds. For cars faster than 11.99 you need a cage. Good luck and have fun!
© CEG Archives