Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Z Contour Tuner 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 07:55 AM
What can a Zetec with mild mods(Exhaust,CAI,UDP)expect to get in 1/4 mile and 0-60 times?

And how about a more highly modded Zetec(Header,Exhaust,CAI,Chip,UDP,P&P intake,and Cam,etc).
Posted By: RandyCSVT Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 05:25 PM
mildly modified: really slow

heavily modified: kinda slow

just messing with you. Search the forums. There was a supercharged zetec that was not so slow
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 05:53 PM
Alright. I have what you would call a mildly modded Zetec ATX, except with stock exhaust. I ran an 18.4. With a manual, 17's would be much easier.
Lesee... I've got

-My own CAI
-NGK Laser Platinums

That's about it.

Stock iginition wires and coil. No exhaust, just stock.
Posted By: Frosty Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 06:14 PM
I have a Drop-In K&N and 2.25" SVT exhaust from the flexpipe back. I ran a best 18.1 at 76.6mph
Posted By: mbb41_dup1 Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 07:41 PM
Times are in my sig. Mods were a cold air intake.
Posted By: Z Contour Tuner Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 08:10 PM
Most of the Honda's and other imports run high 14's to low 15's in the 1/4 at my local track and I'm wondering if the 4cyl Zetec Contours can keep up with that.

My current car is a 95 Taurus 3.0L with a tranny going bad and there is no aftermarket for it and the best I can do is low 16's in the 1/4.I'm looking for a Zetec Contour to mod and hopefully I can do better times than the Taurus.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 08:22 PM
Dude...Take the 3.0L outta the Taurus, put it in the Contour, then go down to the 3.0L Area. Trust me, 14s and 15s are very normal for V6 Contours. The Contour is just a bit too heavy to be using a 4-cylinder and getting any performance from it...
Posted By: 99SEsport2K4 Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/05/05 09:03 PM
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Dude...Take the 3.0L outta the Taurus, put it in the Contour, then go down to the 3.0L Area. Trust me, 14s and 15s are very normal for V6 Contours. The Contour is just a bit too heavy to be using a 4-cylinder and getting any performance from it...

Would a 95 3.0 really be worth it? I was under the impression that people on here used 99+ 3.0's due to a better design...?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/06/05 03:42 AM
16.3 at 7psi, stock engine, stock auto trans.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/06/05 05:07 PM
Originally posted by 99SEsport2004:
Originally posted by MadMerc97:

Would a 95 3.0 really be worth it? I was under the impression that people on here used 99+ 3.0's due to a better design...?

I think he was kinda kidding (I hope). Don't bother with the 3L in a 4 banger 'cause you'd have to change the PCM, engine bay wiring harness & bunches of other stuff too. You'd be better off buying a fast car, or if you really want to do sup'm to the Contour, have a pro design & install a turbo. Darn few of those have been done to the Zetec. Either way, you're talkin' $$$ and lots of time.
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/06/05 06:31 PM
I don't think he was kidding, just generally clueless. Maybe a bit of both. But hey, what do I know, I drive a ford.
Posted By: obicanobi0_dup1 Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/07/05 02:44 AM
ya a 95 wouldn't bolt up to the tranny, and I bet its a vulcan
Posted By: Z Contour Tuner Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/07/05 05:57 AM
Yeah,its a Vulcan 3.0L so I don't think it'll work.I don't want to do anything that major anyways, just bolt on mods including :

Headers and 2 1/4" exhaust w/no rez and Magnaflow
Cold or warm air intake
UDP
Chip
Better Throttle Body
Better upper intake manifold or PP it

I'm just wondering what I can expect with this-I'd like to get into the high 15's in the 1/4 mile and would be using a 5spd instead of the ATX(I think it seems like the ATX will not get anywhere near high 15's).
Posted By: jtour Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/07/05 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Z Contour Tuner:
Most of the Honda's and other imports run high 14's to low 15's in the 1/4 at my local track and I'm wondering if the 4cyl Zetec Contours can keep up with that.

My current car is a 95 Taurus 3.0L with a tranny going bad and there is no aftermarket for it and the best I can do is low 16's in the 1/4.I'm looking for a Zetec Contour to mod and hopefully I can do better times than the Taurus.

I see you are faily new, but why would you just get an CSVT. Trust me as you surf this site more and more. you will want a CSVT. Nothing against the 4 bangers but. Just do it right and get a CSVT.

Posted By: sk8token Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/07/05 09:52 PM
I have to agree with the others here about buying a quick car from the start, if your most important goal is to get low 0-60's and low E.T.'s. If the numbers are that important to you, might want to get a CSVT or even a Mustang or something.

With that said, the little zetec in my 96 w/ MTX is quite peppy. The cool thing about it is that it feels like its well suited for cruising through the gears. It's actually torquey for a 4 cylinder. What I mean is that in normal to spirited driving situations, it will put a smile on your face each time you grab for that next gear. When completely floored and shifting at higher rpms, it also performs well, but this is where you will wish you had a lot more. The engine winds up and theres not much more excitment than what you find at part throttle cruising through the gears. Make no mistake, there is plenty there for passing and getting somewhere in a hurry, but if you are going to put it up against a timer, I don't think it's going to have what you're looking for.

I think the Hondas and others that you are seeing laying down the 14 and 15 sec 1/4 miles are probably similar displacement engines, but in very much lighter cars.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/08/05 12:13 AM
I ran a 16.9 in my mom's Corolla
Posted By: Z Contour Tuner Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/09/05 01:08 AM
Quote:

I see you are faily new, but why would you just get an CSVT. Trust me as you surf this site more and more. you will want a CSVT. Nothing against the 4 bangers but. Just do it right and get a CSVT

Oh, I'd love to have a CSVT!But the one's for sale in my area are $12,000!Way too much for me.The regular 4cyl models are about $2000.

I really just want to mod a different type of car, and having had a V8(Z28)and a 6cyl,I just want to try a 4cyl and the Zetec seems like a good 4 banger.I really want to find a 5spd though,as it seems the ATX robs the car of quite a bit of power.
Posted By: Wulfen Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/09/05 02:53 AM
Better go by another contour MTX than swap de trans.
Posted By: SVTatGT Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/09/05 04:48 PM
12 grand is over twice as much as CSVTs are worth
Posted By: FFE_dup1 Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/09/05 07:57 PM
ok my 96 mystique atx, ran a 18.1 as its best run. I don't have the slips with me to see what my other times were

I would have to say a mildly moded zetec would be a 17.5 range
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/09/05 09:15 PM
My mods;
UDP
cat-back exhaust
cam gears timed at 0,0
optimized TB
chip, with semi-custom burn
CTA intake

With;
stock 15" rims
215/55/15 Kumho 711 tires
35 psi all around
stock suspension
stock transmission
wheel hop

I ran a best of 16.3
I haven't ran since the new suspension, lightened flywheel and Quaife. I might be able to pull a 16 flat.

Another Zetec, 4bangs5spd or something like that, ran a 15.9 with intake, fidanza flywheel, and cat-back exhaust.
Posted By: Z Contour Tuner Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/11/05 08:59 AM
Quote:

Another Zetec, 4bangs5spd or something like that, ran a 15.9 with intake, fidanza flywheel, and cat-back exhaust.

Thats what I like to see.Low 15's should be atainable with a few more mods on an MTX Zetec then.
Posted By: KyleH Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/12/05 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Z Contour Tuner:
Quote:

I see you are faily new, but why would you just get an CSVT. Trust me as you surf this site more and more. you will want a CSVT. Nothing against the 4 bangers but. Just do it right and get a CSVT

Oh, I'd love to have a CSVT!But the one's for sale in my area are $12,000!Way too much for me.The regular 4cyl models are about $2000.

I really just want to mod a different type of car, and having had a V8(Z28)and a 6cyl,I just want to try a 4cyl and the Zetec seems like a good 4 banger.I really want to find a 5spd though,as it seems the ATX robs the car of quite a bit of power.

If you want a Zetec then get a ZX2 or ZX3. If you want a Contour, get a Duratec.

And always get a MTX
Posted By: SleeperZ Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 12/13/05 05:49 PM
Originally posted by KyleH:

If you want a Zetec then get a ZX2 or ZX3. If you want a Contour, get a Duratec.

And always get a MTX

If you want a 4 cylinder,
get the new Focus with the 4 cylinder Duratec.
Cosworth has some great power goodies for it.
And yes, always get a MTX.
Posted By: SmoothV Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 01/11/06 02:42 AM
Weird...with an intake and SVT rims, I ran a 16.4 with my Zetec, and that was without a tach. lol

That was a while ago, think i still got the ticket around here though.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 01/11/06 04:02 AM
With my modded auto zetec w/ some weight removal but on 17"s, I ran 11 flat in the 1/8. That should equal to a low 17 second 1/4 mile.
Posted By: PurpleMystique Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 01/11/06 05:41 AM
I agree with most of the people here. Do NOT buy a Zetec Contour to mod. It wouldn't make sense to want to spend less on the car and more on mods...just buy a better engine from the start...
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 01/12/06 01:26 AM
Nothing wrong with the zetec, but the aftermarket isn't as great as an imports, and the engine definitely isn't up for moving a heavy contour. If dead set on a contour, definitely get a duratec, actually get a svt, they're cheap enough.
Posted By: KerryKool Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 01/14/06 03:55 AM
I ran a 8.929 1/4 mile!....

In a 984HP Mine's Skyline GT-R R-34...

in Forza Motorsports on my Xbox.
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 01/14/06 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Kerry2Kool4U:
I ran a 8.929 1/4 mile!....

In a 984HP Mine's Skyline GT-R R-34...

in Forza Motorsports on my Xbox.

That game kicks it! I like the Dodge Challenger R/T myself. I've got a funny replay of me beating a hard-computer controlled Enzo with it on Road Atlanta. I block him off the whole race....
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 01/18/06 11:41 PM
Originally posted by PurpleMystique:
I agree with most of the people here. Do NOT buy a Zetec Contour to mod. It wouldn't make sense to want to spend less on the car and more on mods...just buy a better engine from the start...

Do not buy a Zetec to Go fast. Buy a Zetec to Feel fast.
Buy a SVT to turn fast, buy a Zetec to turn decent.
and Finally...
Buy a Zetec for Cost, buy a Duratec...just buy a Duratec

Note: All the above siuations are based on the presence of a MTX or Manual Transmission. If ATX is your option, you need not reply. The opinion expressed is solely that of a former MTX Zetec owner.
Posted By: BOSS122_dup1 Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 02/20/06 01:44 AM
Originally posted by SleeperZ:

If you want a 4 cylinder,
get the new Focus with the 4 cylinder Duratec.
Cosworth has some great power goodies for it.
And yes, always get a MTX.

Just be sure ot get a 2.3 liter Duratec and nto the 2.0 Duratec. Msot of the cossie goodies only work with the 2.3.
Posted By: in the shop Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 03/03/06 06:20 AM
19.339 1/4 mile
dead stock
slushbox
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 03/03/06 06:36 AM
Was it super slow car drag race night?
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 03/03/06 10:44 PM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:

What did you run?
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 03/04/06 12:06 AM
Hector, quit being stoopid. I was saying look at the time of the car in the other lane. They both ran 19s!!! When I ran my contour, I was THE slowest car at our drag strip that day. You usually don't see multiple slow cars on one day.

But anyways, I ran 11 flat in the 1/8.
Posted By: in the shop Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 03/04/06 07:39 PM
Originally posted by SVTfrog:

it was a honda civic in the other lane...
Posted By: Hydramatic Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 03/04/06 07:55 PM
I think the best I did with my Merc was 18.4 in the quarter. It wasn't going to go any faster without some more expensive work done to it.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: 1/4 Mile Zetec Times - 03/04/06 07:58 PM
if i was going down the 1/4 mile in a 19 second car id probably fall asleep!

i have no room to talk though cause i ran a 16.3 with a 3L hybrid and all the goodies, MTX, torsen, spec stage 3 and spec flywheel! ......about 3-4 days after i first started driving stick. nothing like stalling in the staging lanes multiple times, hitting the rev limiter 2-3 times going down the track, wheelhop so bad the bezel holding in the radio popped out, and no traction whatsoever!

ive since learned to drive alot better
© CEG Archives