Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: starjammir My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:28 AM
Well I installed these HID's over the weekend. I believe they are 7k or 8k I dont remember off the top of my head. Also, Rawburt and I installed some Proburner fogs and found out one of my stock fogs had a big bubble in the lens (scary). On with the pics now. Sorry if they are blury, I am only using a 3meg camera.

First is just the fogs.

Next is the HID's

HID's and fogs

How I see it,
HID's and fogs

Just the fogs,

Just the HID's
Posted By: Tourige Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:30 AM
To blue. Prepare for Goonz to yell at you.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:57 AM
Nice....they look like 7k.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Loco4G63:
Nice....they look like 7k.

yes they do, 7000K - 12000K FTL!

nice fogs
Posted By: m!key Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 03:05 AM
wow! i bet you are blinding all kinds of people with the HIDs not being used with projectors. scatter that light!
Posted By: Tourige Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 03:30 AM
Originally posted by m!key:
wow! i bet you are blinding all kinds of people with the HIDs not being used with projectors. scatter that light!

"Blinded by the light, revd up like a duece..."
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 04:28 AM
Lookin good.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 11:25 AM
STOP ENCOURAGING HALF-ASSED HID INSTALLS!!!

sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. installed bulbs and balasts do not an HID make. put some proper projectors in there or take the kit out. period.

~Andrew
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:

sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. installed bulbs and balasts do not an HID make. put some proper projectors in there or take the kit out. period.

~Andrew

personally I see nothing wrong with it... the headlights look great, serve their purpose at being wicked bright, and so I hear Bill got an excellent deal on the whole package.
Posted By: starjammir Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 12:06 PM

~Andrew

You can buy HID's for reflectors you know Just because I dont want to go the projector route doesnt mean that I cant have em. I think it sounds like some people want to donate some money to me. If this is the case, PM me otherwise STFU.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Tourige:

Blinded by the light
Wrapped up like a deuce
Another runner in the night
Posted By: RawBurt Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 12:16 PM
Originally posted by starjammir:

~Andrew

You can buy HID's for reflectors you know Just because I dont want to go the projector route doesnt mean that I cant have em. I think it sounds like some people want to donate some money to me. If this is the case, PM me otherwise STFU.

Seriously... HID's are a personal preference. Not everyone wants to drop a grand on projector head lights that leak. As nice as they are, its a freaking waste of money. I swear to god I'm going to buy 12,000k just so I can see a 10 page thread with a bunch of [censored] little sissy girls crying. Its the same people every single time that bash these threads when they are posted (and no, I dont mean just you goonzy).

Also a pet peeve of mine is people who drive v dubs and think they are cool on CEG...

Rant off...

On a lighter note. Bill, they look alot better at night then they do in the day... Thats for sure.

And LOL @ todd for calling out the canadian.
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:05 PM
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I swear to god I'm going to buy 12,000k just so I can see a 10 page thread with a bunch of [censored] little sissy girls crying.

DO IT!!!

I agree about the projectors though. They are too damn expensive and too much work. Not worth the difference IMO. D2R bulbs and proper aiming will not blind any drivers so save it mikey and Pimpalicious.

My HIDs without projectors are WAY more than enough for what I need.

Think about how many cars came with HIDs from the factory and no projectors. They must of been blinding drivers also then right? I bet someone paid off the DOT to get these things on the road.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:05 PM

Seriously... HID's are a personal preference. Not everyone wants to drop a grand on projector head lights that leak. As nice as they are, its a freaking waste of money. I swear to god I'm going to buy 12,000k just so I can see a 10 page thread with a bunch of [censored] little sissy girls crying. Its the same people every single time that bash these threads when they are posted (and no, I dont mean just you goonzy).

Also a pet peeve of mine is people who drive v dubs and think they are cool on CEG...

i bolded all the false statements and italisized all statements that make you sound like a douche.

now, onto my post...

how many OEM manufacturers put HID's in halogen housings? go ahead, go look up that number and let me know.

i'll save you some work...NONE. HID's belong in HID projector housings and nothing else. bottom line. end of story. there is no rebutal to that statement as it is a FACT. you can't bend it, twist it, spin it around, nothing. if you put HID's in a halogen housing, you are a moron and will be treated as such by people that know what the [censored] they are talking about. is it my problem you are a poor mother [censored] and can't afford to do it the right way? not at all. get a better job or don't do it at all.

oh, and somehow owning a VW makes me appear cool on CEG. not sure how that little jump in logic works, but glad i can be cool

~Andrew
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:09 PM

i'll save you some work...NONE. HID's belong in HID projector housings and nothing else. bottom line. end of story. there is no rebutal to that statement as it is a FACT. you can't bend it, twist it, spin it around, nothing. if you put HID's in a halogen housing, you are a moron and will be treated as such by people that know what the [censored] they are talking about. is it my problem you are a poor mother [censored] and can't afford to do it the right way? not at all. get a better job or don't do it at all.

oh, and somehow owning a VW makes me appear cool on CEG. not sure how that little jump in logic works, but glad i can be cool

~Andrew

Gotta agree with pimp on these. I would have thrown in some Silverstars and put the rest of the $ toward something else like rims.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:22 PM
if you put HID's in a halogen housing, you are a moron and will be treated as such by people that know what the [censored] they are talking about.

I can't even believe I'm arguing with you. I dont even have HID's. Its the fact that you are trying to turn your opinions into facts... And its annoying. Maybe, just maybe, people like the look over an HID conversion kit compared to the projector look. I personally dont like how with projectors, when they bounce there is a color change. It looks pretty stupid.

is it my problem you are a poor mother [censored] and can't afford to do it the right way? not at all. get a better job or don't do it at all.

Poor... STFU, it has nothing to do with being poor.

It was a joke, lighten up
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:22 PM
Umm, HIDs do come in non projector form from the factory!! I can go take pics of our Infinity if you dont believe me. And honestly, my moms Saab as a crystal clear cut off line (with halogens), but its from a reflector based housing! I will take pics tonight if you dont believe me.

Projectors and HIDs do not go hand in hand. Ill be happy to back this up with pics, however you wont see much until tonight.
Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:28 PM
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
Umm, HIDs do come in non projector form from the factory!! I can go take pics of our Infinity if you dont believe me. And honestly, my moms Saab as a crystal clear cut off line (with halogens), but its from a reflector based housing! I will take pics tonight if you dont believe me.

Projectors and HIDs do not go hand in hand. Ill be happy to back this up with pics, however you wont see much until tonight.

i promise, PROMISE, your headlights were designed with HID's in mind, not halogen bulbs. therein lies the difference. sticking HIDs into a housing designed and enginered for halogen bulbs is ridiculous, and as i stated before, half assed.

so take all the pictures you want (no one ever got killed for whoring their ride ), but it won't help in the arguement.

~Andrew
Posted By: KingpinSVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:39 PM
I agree that the Infinity was most likely designed for the HIDs. The Saab, however, Im not sure about. From the same model year and up (2005), all the HID Saabs I see are projectors, so I dont know that you could get them from the factory in the reflector housing. This housing does have the cleanest cutoff Ive ever seen for a reflector, regardless of its intended use.

In any case, I just posted that because I was getting the impression that it seemed as though HIDs must be in projectors, and nothing else. Just clearing that up. . . . continue!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/15/06 01:39 PM
Originally posted by CSVT1214:

Think about how many cars came with HIDs from the factory and no projectors. They must of been blinding drivers also then right? I bet someone paid off the DOT to get these things on the road.

all those factory reflectors were made for HID's..
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 12:41 AM
The lights are perfectly fine, so stop complaining. He paid about a tenth of what someone might pay for projects with virtually the same results. Unless you are driving against him, and are so unbeliveably blinded you need to flash you lights, stop talking about something you don't know anything about.
Posted By: MapOfTaziFoSho Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 01:09 AM
After driving an s2000 a couple days ago, I have to agree with pimp and goonz. Basically 4300k is the only way to go and HID's belong in OEM projector housings.

Car looks good, but ya you guys rock at arguing this stuff...
Posted By: Klasse Act Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 01:15 AM
Bill, your car is coming along nicely Maybe you'll be the one to carry the flag for the SEMI CEG now, good luck. BTW, try and make it over here so I can check it out in person and we can talk detailing while your at A tour of "The Compound" will be a part of the visit
Posted By: Pudmunkie Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 01:53 AM

Quote:

They are too damn expensive and too much work. Not worth the difference

BOOOO to false information! Not worth the difference? Hes got the same output, just a different color. Silverstars will do that for you.
IMO

Projectors put the light where it needs to be. Reflectors put light where they can. Most of it gets aimed in one direction, but there are still stray beams that get away! I really dont care if people just shove HID bulbs into reflector housings, sometimes it looks pretty slick. In fact, my car had them like that when I bought it. Which is also what prompted me to get into projectors. What no one realizes is that reflectors and bulbs are all designed with a geometry in mind. A halgoen bulb puts out different light in different places, changing how deep the bulb sits, the angle, etc etc alters the geometry of everything. rebased bulbs are designed to click into place, but not necessarily be 'correct'. If you must have HID's w/out projectors then D2r bulbs are the best choice, however if you have the means then projectors are the #1 choice.

Originally posted by rawburt:
Not everyone wants to drop a grand on projector head lights that leak.

I can build you a set that wont leak, its pretty easy, alot of the problems with leaking are/were due to cutting housings, excessive cutting of the housings for projectors, and materials used for sealing.

Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Matt R:
The lights are perfectly fine, so stop complaining. .

they arent fine!! I went through the same! I had HID's in stock headlights, I was really happy with mine but I still knew in the back of my mind that I was blinding people in certain angles. Plus with our reflector housing, the HID light just scattered around everywhere and there really wasnt a smooth beam put down on the road. Im basically saying that you want HID's, then fine its ok to have them if you dont have projectors, but please take into consideration other drivers who maybe in front of you, aim them low and etc..thats all

you cant beat this..

against this..

Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 01:56 AM
Night and day difference between Silverstars and my 6000k HID kit I had on my tour.
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 02:01 AM

Posted By: RawBurt Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 02:38 AM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:

It was a joke... I didn't really mean it
Posted By: jitb Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 03:58 AM
i dont know what u all are talkin about, escalade, and bmw hid's blind me just as much as aftermarket hid kits do. im sorry spending 1200$+ on projectors for the svt isnt bright to me, but they do look good, and i wish i could afford some. what abotu putting projectors ina a housing not designed for it? i thinkt hats halfassed...lol

silverstars on the left 6ks on the right

Posted By: Tourige Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 04:37 AM
Originally posted by jitb:
i dont know what u all are talkin about, escalade, and bmw hid's blind me just as much as aftermarket hid kits do. im sorry spending 1200$+ on projectors for the svt isnt bright to me, but they do look good, and i wish i could afford some. what abotu putting projectors ina a housing not designed for it? i thinkt hats halfassed...lol

Notice how on the bottom picture your even blinding the camera at that angle..
Posted By: IonNinja Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 10:46 AM
just to kind of add to the argument, if you shop right you can have a nice retrofit for under $400-$500. Not much more than the $200-$300 you are paying for your HID kit.

not much difference in price but a HUGE difference in light output, even if you don't mind putting an HID kit in a reflector housing there is no possible way that you can argue about the light output and beam pattern. it just doesn't compare period...

however if you could care less about other people on the road then carry on...
Posted By: jitb Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 12:07 PM

i know my patterns is like that.. but its not as bad as what i get back.. so im not worried about it.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 12:28 PM

i know my patterns is like that.. but its not as bad as what i get back.. so im not worried about it.

Of course you're not worried about it...

...it's the oncoming drivers that are worried about it!

Read this:

Daniel Stern Lighting
Posted By: Spyderman Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 02:41 PM
you're all flippin ricers... j/k I don't wanna get jumped.

OEM BULBS FO LIFE!
Posted By: RawBurt Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Spydermans Sig:
89.Dodge.Colt.4G63T

Just out of curiousity, is that your DD. Or is it modded?

Posted By: BigBEN_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 03:59 PM

probably one of the best songs ever created!
Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 09:52 PM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:

It was a joke... I didn't really mean it

Wait, I know I'm not cool, so I'm not offended after all!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/16/06 11:52 PM
If you aim you HIDs right you won't blind drivers.....not once did I get flashed with my HIDs.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/17/06 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Loco4G63:
If you aim you HIDs right you won't blind drivers.....not once did I get flashed with my HIDs.

Yep same here, and surprise surprise, the kit in the pics above was mine...
Posted By: jitb Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/17/06 03:29 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:

Read this:

Daniel Stern Lighting

i do care, but its not as bad as u all think. ive never been flashed ever. u want to talk about safety, talk to the guys with painted reflectors.. , and plus in that picture, the dam silverstar is blinding the camera. Tonite on my way home, i was blinded by an escalades hid's.. i started to pull him over and talk projector lenses with him. projectors are better of course we all know..
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/17/06 03:31 PM

Read this:

Daniel Stern Lighting

i do care, but its not as bad as u all think. ive never been flashed ever. u want to talk about safety, talk to the guys with painted reflectors.. , and plus in that picture, the dam silverstar is blinding the camera. Tonite on my way home, i was blinded by an escalades hid's.. i started to pull him over and talk projector lenses with him. projectors are better of course we all know..

You don't have to get flashed to blind other people... Ever accidentally left your high beams on and not get flashed? I have... I've also been flashed for my properly aimed low beams, so 'getting flashed' is a moot point. It's all in the perception of the oncoming driver.

The example with the Escalade, that's what happens when you put HIDs where they're not designed. Part of the problem was the height of the headlamps, but still...
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/17/06 04:52 PM

The example with the Escalade, that's what happens when you put HIDs where they're not designed. Part of the problem was the height of the headlamps, but still...

exacly, the headlight for the escalade was designed for HID, the light itself is soo high that it will blind anyone. I was in the Z06 last night and even cars with halogens were blinding from the back cause the car is soo low..It proves that the height of the lights do matter.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/17/06 05:02 PM

99-01 acura cl's ...were not all designed for the HID's...it was an option...ive seen both the halogen and HID up close.
Posted By: jitb Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/17/06 10:18 PM
Originally posted by JeSiZZle:

99-01 acura cl's ...were not all designed for the HID's...it was an option...ive seen both the halogen and HID up close.

there are tons of cars, that dont. if u aim them properly it will be good. all this it must be a projector is bs..
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/18/06 12:12 AM

there are tons of cars, that dont. if u aim them properly it will be good. all this it must be a projector is bs..

True, it does not have to be a projector, but if you actually read the article (I'll bet you didn't, since it's a different point of view than your own), you'll learn that HID and non-HID reflectors are NOT the same, even on a car that has optional HIDs.

You will also read that the only proper way to retrofit HIDs is to use the entire HID setup (lens/reflector/lamp)... Easy way of doing that is with a set of HID projectors.

Everything else is illegal and dangerous!

Quiz for those who think they know HIDs:

What was the first American car with standard HIDs? Hint, it's one generation after the first American car with "European style" composite headlights...
Posted By: jitb Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/18/06 03:38 AM

True, it does not have to be a projector, but if you actually read the article (I'll bet you didn't, since it's a different point of view than your own), you'll learn that HID and non-HID reflectors are NOT the same, even on a car that has optional HIDs.

You will also read that the only proper way to retrofit HIDs is to use the entire HID setup (lens/reflector/lamp)... Easy way of doing that is with a set of HID projectors.

Everything else is illegal and dangerous!

Quiz for those who think they know HIDs:

What was the first American car with standard HIDs? Hint, it's one generation after the first American car with "European style" composite headlights...

WE ALL KNOW THIS! BUT WE CHOSE NOT TO FOLLOW THE RULES.. every aftermarket hid is considered illegal, all the kits ive seen are for off road use only. doesnt say "must have projectors and proper reflectors"

it says:

" DOT/NHTSA prohibits the use of HID Retrofit system on highway or public road in USA."

so actually were all half assers..even the big money guys with the projectors.

Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/18/06 11:10 AM
I understand... I wish the Contour's headlights were better.

I wanted to get HIDs at one point also, but after reading about them decided to wait until I can afford a proper setup.

Not if you use projectors that were DOT approved for HIDs to begin with...
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/18/06 12:01 PM
I understand... I wish the Contour's headlights were better.

I wanted to get HIDs at one point also, but after reading about them decided to wait until I can afford a proper setup.

Not if you use projectors that were DOT approved for HIDs to begin with...

or ECE approved
Posted By: jitb Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/18/06 10:46 PM
uh huh...
Posted By: m!key Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/18/06 11:09 PM
i just bought HIDS!
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/18/06 11:18 PM
i just bought HIDS!

SWEET!!
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: My HID and Fog pics - 08/19/06 01:13 AM
i just bought HIDS!