Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: HoosierContour_dup1 Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 04:35 AM
Mazda

A great opportunity to drive a Contourlike car on an autox course in someoneelse's car.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 02:49 PM
Yea for $40.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 06:00 PM
As I said in the other post, a bargain at that price, the same as an SCCA divisional solo, without the required annual club membership.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 06:05 PM
Quote:

For just $39, each Saturday or Sunday event gives you two sessions to compete on track and four separate opportunities for instruction (three hands-on car control clinics and a driver's Chalk Talk). There’s also a whole host of entertainment and auto expo activities included for competitive drivers and their guests.

Add to that the fun of test driving your choice of several new Mazda models – for free! -- and we think you'll agree, Mazda Rev It Up™ is an unbelievable deal.

Performance driving tips, timed competition, entertainment options galore -- how can you resist?

Posted By: HoosierContour_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 06:27 PM
SCCA Autocross costs $25 plus using your own vehicle.
This is worth the cost, to me.

PS Todras, you can afford it with all those $8 Ford CDS you burn.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 07:12 PM
Yea right. I make squat on those. I have to buy the envelopes, casing for CD, blank CD's and shipping. I make about $3-5 on each. That goes into fixing my Contour.
Posted By: Cartman Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 11:00 PM
I read on another forum that all the 6s were automatics.. Is that the case? If so, that really sucks!
Posted By: MFE_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 11:05 PM
No, but only 5% of them are scheduled to be built with a manual trans so they might as well all be automatics. Mazda makes great handling cars (a Protege I rented a while back was the best-handling, best-braking 4-door I've ever driven) but they lack power and saddling them with automatics while trying to be a sportscar guy's sedan is stupid.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 11:26 PM
Will everyone be driving the same kind of car?

Quote:

Everyone gets to compete in an all-new MAZDA6 sports sedan. All cars will be equipped with automatic transmissions, by the way, so you can concentrate on what you learned in the Skill Clinics and not worry about pesky distractions like gear changes.

Unfortunately, I think what you read on the other forum was correct.
Posted By: White6s Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/05/03 11:56 PM
i signed up both days 6-21 and 6-22. for chicago's event. group 16 if anyone wants to join me.
Posted By: Cartman Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/06/03 12:49 AM
Originally posted by EvlBill:
Will everyone be driving the same kind of car?

Quote:

Everyone gets to compete in an all-new MAZDA6 sports sedan. All cars will be equipped with automatic transmissions, by the way, so you can concentrate on what you learned in the Skill Clinics and not worry about pesky distractions like gear changes.

Unfortunately, I think what you read on the other forum was correct.

That's too bad, 'cause the automatic 6 is a dog.
Posted By: bigMoneyRacing_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/06/03 08:30 PM
Quote:

pesky distractions like gear changes.

If Mazda wants to compete in the sport sedan market they've got to learn that sport sedan buyers don't consider gear changes to be "pesky."
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/06/03 09:10 PM
True, but they are trying to attract people to Mazda who may have never autocrossed before...widest possible audience, and all that.

I would prefer to be able to "test drive" the stick, but oh well. Probably less chance of some goob shelling out a tranny, as well.
Posted By: Cartman Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/06/03 09:49 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
True, but they are trying to attract people to Mazda who may have never autocrossed before...widest possible audience, and all that.

I would prefer to be able to "test drive" the stick, but oh well. Probably less chance of some goob shelling out a tranny, as well.

No safer with automatics.. I did a similar event with the Lincoln LS a few years back, and some idiot was doing brake-stands all day, and eventually the tranny gave.
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/06/03 11:58 PM
Well, I can see why Mazda might want to have automatics there to draw in people that either don't know how or don't like to drive stick... Wait, maybe they could have both! All I know is I was seriously considering going to the one in DC until I read that. But now, I'm not sure what I will do.
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/07/03 01:46 PM
I think it's a bargain, even if BMW does the same thing for free

But I signed up anyway.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/08/03 06:36 AM
i just read about this on mazda's site. i didn't realize they were slushboxes. the rules state i cant pick the car u want. if its your turn, u take what they assing to u, likely an auto then. that blows. i'd do it for $39 too. beat up on someone else's car. hell yeah. atx. nevermind. they also said u can only do one day per weekend. u cant do both
Posted By: HoosierContour_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/09/03 05:03 PM
BTW, they charge your credit card right away for the $39.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/10/03 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Viss1:
I think it's a bargain, even if BMW does the same thing for free

I thought BMW's deal was only for owners.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/10/03 05:24 PM
for someone with NO AUTOX experience, is this a good opportunity??

THey have one in HOuston, but I'm wondering if it's worth my while because I drive an MTX. . .but then, I've never been on an AUTOX before!
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/10/03 05:35 PM
Uummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yes.

Even if you've done a few, what's attractive to me are the instructional opportunities.
Posted By: Viss1_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/10/03 05:45 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:
I thought BMW's deal was only for owners.

You're probably right. The one I participated in was through a friend, who had rec'd an invitation from BMW and couldn't make it. BMW didn't have any problem transferring the invitation over to me, though, so if you know anyone with a Bimmer...
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/11/03 03:13 AM
Quote:

what's attractive to me are the instructional opportunities.

hmm, thats a good point. still sux about atx.
Posted By: Alex T._dup1 Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/11/03 05:52 AM
What a deal, I wish this was happening in my area, sounds like a blast for $40.00
Posted By: JETNBYA Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/13/03 12:14 AM
The auto trans means nothing guys. In auto-x, you basically get into second and stay there, unless you are geared real low. I am going to the one in El Toro.

Jim
Posted By: EvlBill Re: Mazda Rev It Up - 03/13/03 02:13 AM
Oh really? I've never done any auto-x so I didn't know that. Hmm...
© CEG Archives