Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
What class would this put me into!? Sorry for the noobie questions, but I've never been and well I don't wanna ask 10 questions once I get there.

So I would be in SM?!

What if I added a CF hood?!

Sorry for the 21 questions. I am searching, but should be studying.
Yep, SM, with or without CF hood. The Diff and suspension are okay in STX, but the flywheel puts you in DSP. The 3L and CF hood are SM mods. That should be a really fun SM car!
Hopefully!
Prepare to have your arse raped in SM. You'll still have fun though.
At least he has the 3L. Subframe connectors threw me into SM, and I dont have nearly as many goodies under the hood
This is the exact reason my sfc's are still sitting in my garage. I'm in no hurry to play in SM
SFC's are on my list.

Now would SM be the same class stazi is in!? WRXs and the like too!?
that would be the one...
SM is a class that allows some pretty crazy stuff. But, honestly, on normal street tires you'll be just about equally outgunned everywhere. Don't sweat classes unless you're going to be able to do well in one.
GS is probably the best Class for a Contour. but it has to be the way it came from Ford, no open filter or anything.

Then STS is a close second but obviously alot more is allowed in that class. In GS with some good tires a SVT contour can do very well, and Depending on mods in STS it can do well also.
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
But, honestly, on normal street tires you'll be just about equally outgunned everywhere. Don't sweat classes unless you're going to be able to do well in one.

Well, honestly I dont really care. I dont autox that often anyway. Im definitely not competitive. No biggie for me, but it would be nice when I do autox to be in a class I stand a chance in.
Originally posted by Decepticon:
GS is probably the best Class for a Contour. but it has to be the way it came from Ford, no open filter or anything.

Then STS is a close second but obviously alot more is allowed in that class. In GS with some good tires a SVT contour can do very well, and Depending on mods in STS it can do well also.

Depends... I was doing pretty good in GS until Coopers came along. I'm now in STS and fairly competetive... and against other cars that have many more mods than mine has.

Oh hell no. GS is terrible for a car that's pig heavy, pushy and soft with no camber in the front. Unless your tire budget is huge. Especially when you're cramming the meat onto a 6.5" wheel.
Wes is right. ST* allows you to fix the static camber issue, stiffen up the springs to make it transition faster (and more importantly keep the dynamic camber under control), balance the car with bars and said springs, and put on some real wheels. It has many other allowances, but just getting 225 or 245 tires on 7-8" wheels and keeping them flat is 90% of the improvement. In GS you're not only outgunned more severely, you're driving a car that's not working right: to go fast, you'll be riding around on the edges of big fat tires. That's expensive, and not that fun.
Quote:

GS is terrible for a car that's pig heavy, pushy and soft with no camber in the front

Agreed!
Posted By: jaged Re: Auto X with a 3L/quaife/fidanza/GC & Konis - 04/20/06 02:21 AM
SM is a fun place to be. I won my SM class last year, and in a atx coug at that. i got aonther coug for this season (3L, mtx, full race cage)but its still a SM car so it should be a lot of fun.
Back when I autox'd the cooper wasn't out. I don't pay to much attention to auto'x as doesn't really appeal to me anymore
I don't pay to much attention to auto'x as doesn't really appeal to me anymore

Holy Engrish, Batman!
Originally posted by Auto-X Fil:
Wes is right. ST* allows you to fix the static camber issue, stiffen up the springs to make it transition faster (and more importantly keep the dynamic camber under control), balance the car with bars and said springs, and put on some real wheels. It has many other allowances, but just getting 225 or 245 tires on 7-8" wheels and keeping them flat is 90% of the improvement. In GS you're not only outgunned more severely, you're driving a car that's not working right: to go fast, you'll be riding around on the edges of big fat tires. That's expensive, and not that fun.

At least in our region... 225 is the maximum tire width allowed in STS. STX is 245 and STU is 275. SM, well.. you know.
© CEG Archives