Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: auiotour Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/17/04 02:35 PM
As many of you know, I have posted on my LED web site about doing a kit for our cars. If I do this things in the GB will be a little different then normal. First off, LEDs won't ship till the GB is over. the GB will be open for 1 month to allow everyone who can't afford it this week to still get in next week. The GB Will begin begining of may if I do it. and will end the end of may. The Kit will include everything you will need in order to do your car. I will have several kits avaible. With many different colors.

Things that will be included.
3mm & 5mm LEDs
Foot Well/HVAC/Head Light Control Switch Wedge Base LEDs
Gauge Wedge Base LEDs
Trunk/Dome LED Based Lights

Map, and Hood Lights will not be included as I am not sure of the size needed.

This GB will be offered also at FCO, and at FordMondeo.org Through Staurt.

Since, I will be ordering several lights items for these kits from Superbrightleds.com in order to get a discount, we will need a 20 order minimium for the kits. The Trunk and Dome LED Based Lights, will not be able to be discounted unless we get 50+ people as there are only two needed. For those who have a mystique, I do not know the bulb the for back dome light. I have the bulb here with me, and I am not quite sure what size it is. If anyone could tell me that would be awsome.

The Kits will be priced from $30-$50.00 depending on how many people are in the GB. The more the cheaper per person.
pollstart][polltitle=Just to Gauge a little interests:]
[polloption=I am interested in the Kits for $30-$50 each.]
[polloption=I am interested in the Kits but, not at the above price.]
[polloption=I am not interested at this time, due to the price.]
[polloption=I am not interested at this time, due to lack of interests.]
[polloption=I am not interested at this time, due to other reasons.]

[pollstop]

for those who want to see the tutorial that is still in work. http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds/tutorial/index.html

I have made a post in the Asthetics Forum with some pictures of a possibility of a new option for those with dremels and higher skills. Check it out. Here is a preview of what you will see.

Gauge Interest
Interested for $30-50 each
Interested, but not for above price
Not interested, due to price
Not interested, due to lack of interest
Not interested, other reasons

how hard is this to do? I am terrible with electrical...
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

ditto
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/18/04 02:38 PM
ditto, as you know auiotour, but I have a fellow SVT'er(DragonflySVT) who's an electrician and should be able to really help me out if I need it.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/18/04 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Disturbedpunk289:

ditto

It sounds complicated, the hardest part is not burning yourself with the soddering pencil/pen. It really quite easy. Once you do two or three of them, and I suggest doing the back door switches first. As it is slightly harder to do some of the switches and buttons such as, the drivers door, defrost, and dimmer switches. The Clock is fairly straight forward, and so is the contour/mystique plate. The hvac and gauges, is very simple. I have detail instructions on how to remove the pieces. and get to the bulbs, which are pain to remove, I just broke mine and pulled them out. Other said twist them back and forth then pull them out. I will try it sometime. As for the hvac if you have ever installed a stereo you know the hvac is behind the stereo bezel. Remove the bezel, simple snaps off on pre98 models and unscrewed by four screws on the bottom of the post97 models. then snapped off, then un screw the two screws that hold that hvac on, also the dimmer, pop the dimmer open, and make a few small cuts, and then for the hvac the bulbs, just unplug, and the new ones plug directly in. It really seems hard, but its not, its time consuming.
One last question...does my dimmer still work?
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/18/04 07:08 PM
If you redo your gauges/hvac, the dimmer will have little affect on the lights actually dimming.
So in basic terms...it doesn't work.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/18/04 10:11 PM
With the dimmer switch it reduces the amps to the 12v bulbs they can be dimmer, the LEDs require hardly any amps in order to work. The dimmer switch barely dims the LEDs, it is noticable but if you have a head ache at night having blue LEDs isn't going to help your drive home. The Dimmer Switch Will still work.
I'm sure it will be fine, I love the VW look!
Posted By: thejms Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/19/04 01:14 AM
I am down. I want a kit now Are you going to make a kit just for switches? That is all I really want right now.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/19/04 01:53 AM
Well, now that you mention it, I am not sure. I was thinking a kit for the entire car. But, I could do a kit for the entire car. I just got down taking all the picture for all the switches except the master switch. Gonna try to get those wrote up in the next few days.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/19/04 02:02 AM
Okay, so the replacment bulbs for the mystiques will be $4.99 for 12 LED, and $6.99 for 19 LED replacements. that is for bulb number 5008 which is the back light, the replacement is 1156. I did a search online to see if I could find good prices, the cheapest was 12.49. the next price up was $24.99 so super bright leds.com has my biz for those. I will continue to look for the best deals for the other LEDs (except 3mm and 5mm leds.) which I supply
Do you have a list of all teh lights that the kit will replace? Also, any idea how long it will be till the order is placed. I would liek a kit now. I really love how the gauges look with different lihgts behind them. I have been wanting to do that for a while but didn;t know what could be done with it.

-Greg
Originally posted by idioticslacker:
Do you have a list of all teh lights that the kit will replace? Also, any idea how long it will be till the order is placed. I would liek a kit now. I really love how the gauges look with different lihgts behind them. I have been wanting to do that for a while but didn;t know what could be done with it.

-Greg

What he said. I have been meaning to send you an email regarding buying some LED's but I like this option better.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/19/04 01:59 PM
I will take my laptop with me to work and work on a list of replacement lights, but for now, its the entire interior (all lights) Gonna check on the map lights tonight, someone please post what the mystique has if possible. and then, trunk, and hood lights, and tail lights if anyone would be interested, as super bright has replacements for those along with turn signal lights.
I would be game for the reverse ligths, if that is what you are speaking of, but license plate. NO, got rolled for blue bulbs once....
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/20/04 12:44 AM
I would be game for the reverse ligths, if that is what you are speaking of, but license plate. NO, got rolled for blue bulbs once....

ohh yes, liscense plate bulbs, and reverse lights will be offered too!
Posted By: tjbugs1 Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/20/04 10:41 AM
I am so so so in on this.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/20/04 01:50 PM
I am going to begin putting prices up for everything later tonight, just so you guys know what kinda prices exactly. They will be based on number of people needed to get a discount. Since I will be ordering larger items shipping will be extra. less then $5.00.
Count me in
Originally posted by auiotour:
I am going to begin putting prices up for everything later tonight, just so you guys know what kinda prices exactly. They will be based on number of people needed to get a discount. Since I will be ordering larger items shipping will be extra. less then $5.00.

And you will ship to Canada?
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/20/04 08:53 PM
So excited about this kit, I can see every CEG'er at least doing some sort of buy for this, I know not too many people like the dead green of the stock interior. I feel as if it takes away from the rest of the "quality" feel of the car. A nice red or white/blue combo would really enhance the look and feel. You know I'm in.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/21/04 01:07 AM
Originally posted by mbb41:

And you will ship to Canada?

slightly more expensive but yes. I will have the prices of most the stuff up in a few hours. I had a very stressful day at work, and am gonna rest for a bit. Then I will begin posting prices with pictures.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/21/04 02:09 AM
here is a link to what bulbs are being used, prices still have not been added in. I will do that soon.
click me
And for people that have recontented things like the rear dome light and the door lights to their Contours?
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/21/04 03:11 AM
Well, I recontented my hood light, and will be doing a rear dome light from a stique, I got them both from pre98 models, on a contour the other a stique, so I guess, find what car you took it out from and look on the chart to see what you will need to order. As for the all the locations not listed, those will use a 3mm or 5mm LED.
I'm becoming VERY interested
I want a kit, but I want it now!
Posted By: ABeeSVT Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/22/04 05:29 PM
I am so down for a kit for my CSVT. The green is just not.... my color.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/23/04 01:52 PM
Since every contour/mystique has different sets of lights, the items will all be posted on my web site for ordering. Everyone will pay the full price, and I will keep everyone posted on how many orders, along with who has ordered. If you see a mistake add your name to the list. Once the Group buy is over. I will begin figuring out the prices of each item, and start refunding people part of their money for the items ordered that we recieve the discount on from superbrightleds.com. I will begin posting prices tomorrow. As tonight, I am working late at work. I hope this will still work out for everyone. You are looking at a max of $5.00 more upfront, but will get it back. Since this Group buy will be also ordering from superbrightleds.com, I will require a 3% fee to cover those of you who pay by paypal USING CREDIT CARD. Those who do not use the credit card method, do not need to pay the extra 3%. I normally cover this, but since, I will be making almost nothing on the superbrightled items. I must ask for the 3%. Thanks everyone. And if you have more questions feel free to shoot me an email at auiotour@comcast.net or post it here, if you think its a global question that others might want to know also.
Here is a question. Would it be possible to get some LEDs to make the back red stip on teh trunk lid to light up when the parking lights are on? I was think that would be a nice looking mod to do on the car, and was jsut curious what would be good LEDs to use and how to give that teh right resisters.

-Greg
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/25/04 01:03 AM
Here is a question. Would it be possible to get some LEDs to make the back red stip on teh trunk lid to light up when the parking lights are on? I was think that would be a nice looking mod to do on the car, and was jsut curious what would be good LEDs to use and how to give that teh right resisters.

-Greg

Well, i am actually looking for replacement leds for the rear back window bulbs. In order to make the 3rd brake light, light up when the parking lights were on, it would be on 24/7 unless you redid some of the wiring at the switch that would tell them to turn off when the car's lights are on. Not my sorta thing. But I can get you leds for it.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/25/04 01:04 AM
For those of you who wanted to know what to buy. I have compiled a list of what will be in each kit. I still need to find some of the bulb sizes. Which I will do this week, along with prices on each item, and what the discount will be. ANd the total price of the packages. It took me a long time to compile the list. so please everyone check it out.

http://coverstoryrock.com/auiotour/leds/lights.html

-Greg

Well, i am actually looking for replacement leds for the rear back window bulbs. In order to make the 3rd brake light, light up when the parking lights were on, it would be on 24/7 unless you redid some of the wiring at the switch that would tell them to turn off when the car's lights are on. Not my sorta thing. But I can get you leds for it.

Well i wanted to do the red plastic strip on the trunk lid between the two tail lights. I was thinking maybe like 10 leds would do the trick, not really sure. What i needed to know would be the about of resistance on the 12 volt to make that many light up. I am not good with that yet. I was thinking of making it jsut run with a relay hooked up to the parking light switch. If anyoen has doen this lete me know. I saw one on the parkway the other day and thought it looked awsome.

-Greg
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/26/04 03:56 AM
auiotour, the list is looking great, just throw some links in there, as well as quantities of each type of LED and such... well, come to think of it, u're probably doing all of this in the package setups. Still can't wait for that to come along.
Posted By: RobSVT-t Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/26/04 09:48 PM
I'm in for it, i just need to make some money, i seem to spend it before i get it.
Posted By: auiotour Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 04/30/04 09:55 PM
sorry that this thread started to die, my family recently lost someone pretty close. I will try to get some things posted in less then a week, as I would like to start the GB. It will be posted in another forum, with plenty of pictures. so if anyone has some pictures of their LEDs installed, I will give a discount on the LED that come straight from me, as I need as many pictures as I can to show everyone the possibilities and how great this stuff really looks. my email is auiotour@comcast.net
I'm defintely in for a blue kit.

:sad: Sorry to hear about your loss auiotour. I hope things will look up for you soon.
Posted By: PlatoSVT Re: Constique LED Kit. Whats your thoughts? - 05/01/04 07:32 AM
O.o.O Dionysus.. your all for it now? Who gets to have their's done first? hehe. Auiotour, my condolences, and take your time with your situation and the kit. Money can wait, but people are always first in line. Good luck with everything, and if you could help me devise a way to make that brake light mod using LED's/ EL lamp/foil I would definitely be up for posting up some pics and how to's to help your sales.
My condolences. Family comes first, so definitely take care of that.

Additionally, check you PM's.
© CEG Archives