Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: SoopaCooga GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/17/04 06:04 PM
Anybody who has been around here awhile has heard of the legendary equal length, long tube, stainless headers by Sean Hyland Motorsports. Although no longer in production, SHM informed me that we could get them made if we had 15 buyers.

If I understand this correctly, long tube headers broaden the powerband by boosting torque at lower RPM; whereas, shorty headers simply help high RPM breathing.

Yes, I've heard from Andy W that installation is a PITA. I'd like to see this product made available again, if it is superior to the MSDS headers. Anybody have a dyno with SHM?

Pictures of the headers:

Pictures of the headers installed:

Posted By: SVT Doood Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/17/04 06:45 PM
Simply gorgeous....

I'm thinking around the $800 level...am I close?
Originally posted by SVT Doood:
Simply gorgeous....

nope, try $1200! they are a rip off, thus why they no longer produce them anymore. and iirc, we had a guy in MI who had them on his car. I cant remember his name. He sold the svt and bought a lightning instead. Anyways, im pretty sure he dynoed before and after and gained little to nothing..
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/17/04 07:59 PM
Originally posted by beyondloadedSE:
Originally posted by SVT Doood:
Simply gorgeous....

nope, try $1200! they are a rip off, thus why they no longer produce them anymore. and iirc, we had a guy in MI who had them on his car. I cant remember his name. He sold the svt and bought a lightning instead. Anyways, im pretty sure he dynoed before and after and gained little to nothing..

They're not THAT expensive if you consider the fact they are LONG tube headers. . .most long tube headers retail for that much, for the 'stang, it's like $1400 or more. . .

Ask ezsvt1, I forget his screen name, he had them, but sold his CSVT for something else, he drives a 600hp beast of a muscle car, like a camaro or something. . .
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/17/04 08:12 PM
Someone around here was making over 190whp with these headers and a few other mods on a 2.5, nothing major. That's pretty impressive. As for price and installation, well, you gotta pay a lot (money and time) for a fast car.
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/17/04 08:34 PM
The link to Andy W.'s install re: SHMs.

I had the MSDS and went to SHMs. Butt dyno says SHMs provide power throughout the power band.

Warning
On top of the $1200 or so price tag, I would send them off to be jet hot coated.

Here are pics of my SHMs after about a year:

They are probably much worse now, but will be removed and shipped to be Jet Hot coated.

IMHO, bang for the buck - no way. I think people are better off Jet Hot coating the MSDS at half the cost, and spending the remaining money on other mods.
Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/18/04 02:24 AM
since the pic is up, is that the rear motor mount in the last pic?
I think so. Directly above the upper Y pipe flange?
Posted By: Thinkmoto Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/18/04 10:29 AM
Stainless my azz...wow those babies rust fast.
Posted By: mr_froge_dup1 Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/18/04 09:44 PM
Don't expect much of an increase in performance without a major increase in the air intake to the car.. You can only exhaust what air comes into the intake and no more..

The second set of SHM pipe pictures shown were from my car.. .. They are not SS but did come with a ceramic coating. The pictures were taken last year when the install was 3 years old.

If you are interested in doing the best you can with a mod, then the long pipes are worth the money.. If you just want to do something to your car, then get one of the less expensive sets.
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/18/04 09:50 PM
I'm SURE there is more of a performance gain than the MSDS headers. . .the only guy that I know that dynoed his car with SHM headers was at 190 WITH tuning.

That's not that bad really.
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/18/04 10:26 PM
Originally posted by mr_froge:

If you are interested in doing the best you can with a mod, then the long pipes are worth the money.. If you just want to do something to your car, then get one of the less expensive sets.

Hmmmm. Sure. I should sell my $159, 15.5 lb wheels, then, and get some forged, 3-piece, custom built Fikses. Of course, I'll have to sell the car to be able to afford them, but what the hey. I want to do the best I can with every mod I do.

Posted By: Eddie Weber_dup1 Re: GB: SHM Headers (Interest Only) - 03/22/04 10:06 PM
I am ready to buy now, time is a factor, my car is at Terry Haynes for a conversion so I don"t have a lot of time. I live in Vienna so please give me a call. 703 938-9815

Thanks Eddie Weber
© CEG Archives