Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 03/31/03 11:25 PM
I have a company that is willing to make a carbon fibre engine cover(or valve cover, whichever you decide to call it). This piece will be an exact replice with the exception of the duratec lettering and the two vent holes by the hose will be smoothed out.

Colors are optional and will cost more. The only color that is a problem right now is the silver. The manufacturer is having problems with the dye and they are currently working on a solution.

The colors they have are blue, silver, green, orange, red and regular carbon fibre. I will see about getting some pictures of the colors and some of the different weaves they have as well.

The price will be $200 with colors being $50 more. I have not discussed the cost of shipping yet and won't do that until we get enough people on board to continue with this.

I saw some of their work and while I admittedly don't know jack about carbon fibre, I do know something about bodywork and their stuff was very nice indeed.

We need 15 people to do this. It will take about two weeks for them to make the mold and start production.

Let's get this going. We might be able to get them on board to do other things as well when we come through on this.

Any questions, please PM me, e-mail me or post here.

Mike
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 12:53 AM
$200 is alot for that little cover...
Posted By: 97CS Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 01:05 AM
Yeaaah, I think that's a smidge much.
Posted By: onosway Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 01:10 AM
It may be a lot - but the fact that this will probably be the only run they ever make it's worth it. We're too much of a small niche, prices for all our stuff will always be high. Otherwise it's not worth it because companies know they can't make hundreds of them like they can for other cars.
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 01:12 AM
$200? That's some coin for just one cover. I'm interested, but that price is pretty high. Have you talked to them about a lower price if we could get even more people to commit? If you expand past just the CEG on this GB, I bet you could find a lot more people in on it.

I'm getting a CF hood, so I am very interested to keep that going on in the engine bay.....but that price..........ouch
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Swazo:
$200? That's some coin for just one cover. I'm interested, but that price is pretty high. Have you talked to them about a lower price if we could get even more people to commit? If you expand past just the CEG on this GB, I bet you could find a lot more people in on it.

I'm getting a CF hood, so I am very interested to keep that going on in the engine bay.....but that price..........ouch

ditto. Might want to ask the cougar guys if they want in as well.
Posted By: 96BlackSE Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 02:00 AM
Whats the company thats going to be making these?
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 02:20 AM
$200 is a good price I feel. Gimme some info on the company but regardless I'm probably in.

That's for the IMRC box cover, right? WAY different than the valve covers which I'm also looking at getting in CF.
Posted By: bmxcontour Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 03:05 AM
there is NO WAY that is worth more than $50....i could make one if i really wanted to but i would just rather paint it for a fraction of the cost.

Ben
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 03:10 AM
Originally posted by bmxcontour:
there is NO WAY that is worth more than $50....i could make one if i really wanted to but i would just rather paint it for a fraction of the cost.

Ben

Yeah, if you're willing to buy sh!t CF... If the stuff is good I'll pay the right price. I think it's worth $200 and if I want to pay it that's up to me.
Posted By: m!key Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 03:13 AM
naw, it is a rip off big time. the entire CF hood goes for 450 for petes sake. are you saying that the hoods are cheap CF?
Posted By: 97CS Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 03:13 AM
Even if it is a good "price." It won't matter because there probably won't be enough people wanting it.
Posted By: SVTnKC_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 06:00 AM
Originally posted by chknhwk:
$200 is a good price I feel. Gimme some info on the company but regardless I'm probably in.

That's for the IMRC box cover, right? WAY different than the valve covers which I'm also looking at getting in CF.

ONce again~ A GB WHORE!~~~ HEHE Oh and i think i'm in on this one~ I would like to see a pic though!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 09:06 AM

Yeah, if you're willing to buy sh!t CF... If the stuff is good I'll pay the right price. I think it's worth $200 and if I want to pay it that's up to me.

That's what I'm sayin! It's a limited run, and aslong as it's done right.......it should be worth it. If you don't want it, then don't buy it. If it's out of your price range, then don't squander! I'll sport my spendy CF cover with a smile!
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 10:45 AM
I can vouch for at least myself and Importkllr. $200 to clean up our ugly ass engine bay, are you kidding? i'm all over this and i'm willing to help in whatever it takes to get this group buy off the ground.
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 10:57 AM
Also I'm definitely in on a UIM cover as well, gotta have it...
Posted By: SVTweeter_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 06:20 PM
Can ya'll post a pic of exactly what it going to be carbon fibred up so I can make this decision.

Thanks
Jared
Posted By: Qwk98svt Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/01/03 10:36 PM
I am most definatly in just for the plain crbon fiber one... no color for me! But I am in. So keep me posted! good GB!

-Jeff-
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/02/03 12:24 AM
I'm in.........I'm in........I just wish we could knock the price down a bit if possible (expand GB?). But it would finish off my engine bay just right, so I'm in.

Are they going to be clear coated? (For $200 I hope so )
Posted By: ssmumich00_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/02/03 12:33 AM
I'm game, we need high quality CF to withstand those engine temps, so I can EASILY understand it being about half as much as the CF hood. . .let me know details.

Suneil
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/02/03 01:42 AM
I coupd probably swing the $200. Please ask over on the cougar forums though...if we get a plain CF they could use it as well.
i'm assuming no pics yet huh?
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/02/03 02:50 AM
Ok, sorry guys and gals about taking so long to get back to you. I don't have any pics of one because nothing has been made yet. If you take a look below, it will be similar to the Cougar Eliminator.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=picsvids&Number=234245&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1

I know that $200 is a lot for that little thing, but that is going with the assumption that we get 15 people. I am sure that if we get more, the price will be lower.

I wanted to see what kind of interest people actually have in this thing here, before I went over to any of the Coug forums and fordmondeo.org to let them know.

As it turns out, this is the same company that Brent Hattan, who worked at APC, tried to get a carbon fibre hood by them before he died.

I will present this to the Coug forum for them to chew on, but if someone that is there a bit more than me can mention it, that would be good to. It might be better coming from someone that is there all the time.

Hellahydro, I'll get in touch with you later this week. TIA for your help.

Mike
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 12:11 AM
I called the company today to inquire about a reduced price. I asked that if we could get 50 orders(which is totally feasible IMHO), would he do them for ~$100, as of this post I have not heard back from them. I will keep after them until I get the police called on me or an answer.

So far we've got 5 people interested in this. I will stay after this. Please people, don't let this thing die.

Mike
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 02:19 AM
Have you looked at expanding the GB to include the FCO guys??
Posted By: SVTdad Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 03:37 AM
i could possibly be interested. need pics and final prices. thanx
Posted By: TGO Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 04:01 AM
I posted over at fastcougar.com and FCO. Hopefully we will get more interested.
Posted By: POWERAGE Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 05:28 AM
Well just saw the post over at the neco boards. I'm definatly in if they go for $100.00 but for $200.00 i'm gonna have to give it some thought. C'mon guys let's get these made. I need my fugly engine bay cleaned up a little.
Posted By: SVTweeter_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 04:22 PM
I'm definately in now that I know what its for ... thanks for the example pics ... count me in!

Jared
Posted By: FlechaAutoSports Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 05:49 PM
definately for $100, maybe for 200.

Eric
Posted By: SVTnKC_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 05:57 PM
Yea let us know EXACT costs... and I'll be able to tell you if i'm in~ THANKS
Posted By: drerok_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 08:17 PM
If it's gonna look somthing like this...I'll pay at least $100-200 for it. This one here is $125.95 and it is made by ABD for the 99+ VR6 VolksWagons...

Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 08:42 PM

i like the look, we need to do wat we can to get this off the ground!
i'm down!
Posted By: m!key Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 08:44 PM
yeah it is way way too pricey for me. i like the look of it but not $200 worth.
Posted By: Brake-buster Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:02 PM
is THIS the sort of thing u are lookin for, it cost £60 UK, and is made for our mk3 mondeo V6, 2001 onwards, and its genuine ford, or this
BB
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Brake-buster:
is THIS the sort of thing u are lookin for, it cost £60 UK, and is made for our mk3 mondeo V6, 2001 onwards, and its genuine ford, or this
BB

I like the look of an exposed UIM personally. That VW cover looked good on that respect, but the UK fords look like a laptop with a ford emblem on it.....
Posted By: Qwk98svt Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:33 PM

I'm still in for one... Keep me inf'd, later

-Jeff-
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:39 PM
drerok, if you look back on page three there is a link to some pics of the Cougar Eliminator. It will be similar to that one.

I spoke directly to the guy just a little while ago about doing it for ~$100.00 if we get 50 orders in. They are going to mull over it and get back with me today. He said that it shouldn't be a problem, but had to run it by the boss to make sure.

The cost of shipping(shipped via UPS) will be based on the final destination, weight and size of the box. Figure on ~ $20 or less.

Mike

LIST OF FOR SURE:
Swazo
HellaHydro
Chknhwk
Qwk98svt
SSmumich00
SVTweeter

LIST OF INTERESTED AND WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS:
SVTnKC
TheGreatOne
SVTdad
Powerage
FlechAutoSports
Posted By: hydro Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:40 PM
i hate the look of an exposed UIM. we need to have a piece developed that covers the UIM all the way down to where the engine cover is on the Cougar Elimator. not just one little piece like the one on that mondeo or on the cougar eliminator. i need you to think bigger people!!
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:40 PM
Originally posted by imprtKLLR:

I'm still in for something like this.......
Posted By: BDR Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:52 PM
i'm in!!
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/03/03 09:59 PM
Hella, if someone can come up with a design with a way to attach it to the engine, they might be able to make one. That's the problem I think came up with the European one that was mentioned by BB. I showed the guy a picture of that one as well when I was down there Monday and he said he could do it too if he had something to go off of.

Mike

**UPDATED**

Sorry IMPRTkllr

LIST OF FOR SURE:
69Boss302(me)
Swazo
HellaHydro
Chknhwk
Qwk98svt
SSmumich00
SVTweeter
IMPRTkllr

LIST OF INTERESTED AND WAITING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS:
SVTnKC
TheGreatOne
SVTdad
Powerage
FlechAutoSports
Posted By: SVTnKC_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/04/03 06:14 AM
You can count me in for 100$, but i'm tellin ya, i SERIOUSLY doubt you're going to get 50 people! Even WITH the Cougar guys... But more power to you if you do! I sure hope we do~ Cause i love this thing ! Just keep me updated! THANKS
Posted By: NVMYSVT Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/04/03 12:04 PM
you get that price to 100 smacks or a bit above it I am in 100% -- I would want the regular CF, no colors unless the red would be amazing as hell..
Posted By: thepakrat Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/04/03 12:45 PM
I'll be in if the price is around $100.
Posted By: tekken4 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/04/03 12:45 PM
Im in for a $100.00
Posted By: path914 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/04/03 01:01 PM
I'd probably be in for $100
Posted By: Denn Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/04/03 06:53 PM
Im from NECO and Im in for the cover up to $150........how many people do you have now?
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/05/03 01:59 AM
I have good news and bad news regarding this GB.

The bad news is that as of right now, the company has yet to get back to me regarding the lower price. Maybe they were to busy or something came up or anything could be the reason why, but still I haven't heard anything.

The good news is that I have been approached by someone that apparently has been working on something like this prior to me for quite some time. I have seen their progress and have been informed about the prices.

What I suggest is to sit back and wait, because that is what I will be doing myself. The price that will come from them is better than what will more than likely come from this GB. On top of that, they have been working on this longer than I and will offer a better price anyway.

Thanks for the interest, sorry for getting any hopes up and something will be out soon.

Mike
Posted By: Rance Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/05/03 04:46 AM
Definitely in if the price is between 100.00 and 150.00
Posted By: neco01blkcat Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/06/03 02:10 AM
I'm in if the price is between 100-150, maybe if it's 150+
Add me to the list. Thank you.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/07/03 03:49 AM
All,
I will keep a list of everyone interested in this GB. However, for now this is going to put on hold for the time being. Please read my last post regarding this matter.

Again, thanks for the interest and keep your eyes open for new information in the coming weeks.

Mike
Posted By: NorCalCoug_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/07/03 02:50 PM
Originally posted by 69Boss302:
I have good news and bad news regarding this GB.

The bad news is that as of right now, the company has yet to get back to me regarding the lower price. Maybe they were to busy or something came up or anything could be the reason why, but still I haven't heard anything.

The good news is that I have been approached by someone that apparently has been working on something like this prior to me for quite some time. I have seen their progress and have been informed about the prices.

What I suggest is to sit back and wait, because that is what I will be doing myself. The price that will come from them is better than what will more than likely come from this GB. On top of that, they have been working on this longer than I and will offer a better price anyway.

Thanks for the interest, sorry for getting any hopes up and something will be out soon.

Mike

Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/08/03 01:00 AM
The 95 Mystiques have a plain front valve cover cover. From Ford Parts Online it's $17.66. Looks like this:

Might not be as cool as CF, but it's less than 20 bucks if you buy it from Ford and it's blank, rather than having the raised silver letters. Just an observation, that's all.
Posted By: BSVT_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/08/03 01:37 AM
count me in !
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/08/03 08:12 AM
NorCalCoug, you're not supposed to be happy at the demise of my efforts. JK

Posted By: hmouta_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/09/03 01:40 AM
the vw one is HOT. gotta show off the uim at least somewhat, well, for the svt's anyway. since this doesn't seem like it'll happen soon, i'd be interested in the full vw style, otherwise like the smaller eliminator one) down the road but only for around $100. cant do 200.
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/09/03 11:03 AM
Mr. 302, you might want to move me from definite to just interested. I bought something big, yellow and expensive and it's not a school bus.
Posted By: 69Boss302_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/09/03 05:43 PM
Mr. Hawk, I was wondering what your secret was. Might you be sharing it anytime?

You are now on the interested list.

Mike
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/09/03 05:45 PM
Mr. Hawk, I was wondering what your secret was. Might you be sharing it anytime?

You are now on the interested list.

Mike

Thank you and no.

Not until American Iron Shootout...
Posted By: Swazo Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/09/03 06:17 PM
Dirty....DIRTY TEASE!!!
Posted By: Lee_dup2 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/09/03 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ChattavegasSE:
The 95 Mystiques have a plain front valve cover cover. From Ford Parts Online it's $17.66. Looks like this:

Might not be as cool as CF, but it's less than 20 bucks if you buy it from Ford and it's blank, rather than having the raised silver letters. Just an observation, that's all.

Eric, If your remember we tried putting the 95 cover on your 98 and it will not fit. The cover was made for the Vaccum IMRC, not electric.
Posted By: Rychie620 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/13/03 03:21 AM
im thinkin it over if its gonna be 100$ or nearabouts. i was also thinking...how about a UIM cover that fits the outline of the UIM like a glove? have the same shape, but in CF or color? still thinkin about it.......
Posted By: SVTnKC_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/17/03 04:13 PM
Any updates on this ... sorry not trying to be pushy. . .
Posted By: Swazo Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/17/03 04:39 PM
Originally posted by SVTnKC:

All,
I will keep a list of everyone interested in this GB. However, for now this is going to put on hold for the time being. Please read my last post regarding this matter.

Again, thanks for the interest and keep your eyes open for new information in the coming weeks.

Mike

Posted By: ChattavegasSE_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/18/03 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Lee:
Eric, If your remember we tried putting the 95 cover on your 98 and it will not fit. The cover was made for the Vaccum IMRC, not electric.

Oh yeah! Eric=own3d by old timers'!
Posted By: SVTnKC_dup1 Re: Carbon fibre engine covers - V6 - 04/18/03 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Swazo:
Originally posted by SVTnKC:

All,

Mike

Nice, i tend not to use my brain sometimes!! HAHA
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/19/03 02:19 AM
Mr. 302, you might want to move me from definite to just interested. I bought something big, yellow and expensive and it's not a school bus.

maybe he bought one of those contours from that racing school that was selling them for 11,000, that would be sweet
Posted By: Swazo Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/19/03 04:17 AM

Is it Anna Nicole Smith in a uni-tard??
Posted By: chknhwk_dup1 Re: NEW INFO ** PLEASE READ ** - 04/19/03 02:42 PM
LMAO!! No, I got a Yellow Cobra. A friend of mine from up here in Pennsy did a spy shot for me. Isn't she nice?
Seriously, no pictures yet b/c it's been driven about a thousand miles in the rain already and I just bought it.
© CEG Archives