Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Coupla months ago i picked up a 95 gl v6 w/a blown hed gasket real cheap. I found same car on ebay w/85k supposedly not running because of wiring harness. I had ford dealer fix the harness and as soon as it started up (after i replaced the plugs) Thick white smoke all over the place. When i changed the oil there seemed to be an excessive amount and it smelled really strongly of gasoline. Could there be any other causes for this than hed gsk? The idle was very high until i switched out intake/fuel component/sensor on the 2cars. Compression checked out fine on all cyl. The plugs still foul out very quickly even after oil and fuel component change. What i am wondering is if i am going to spend all the time and money of new hed gasket and shop work on heads only to find out there are more serious problems with the eng??????????Also should mention that i found no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Damn i feel ingnorant, I don't know wtf the practical thing to do with this vehicle is, can anyone help?
Are you getting any memory codes? Have you run the EEC-IV self test? Checked for spark at all the plugs?

I don't see how a blown head gasket would cause what appears to be a really bad misfire or an excessive rich fuel mixture.

haven't run the codes, but engine light is on. There is spark on all plugs. It runs really well despite all the smoking.
As upper and lower intake have been replaced along with all attatched components(fuel pressure reg, injectors, idle air control ect, plus coil packs/plugs/) anyone have any idea what could cause rich mixture or misfire?
I tried to run the codes but am not getting anything. I had a friend try to run them at local trade school with a proper scan tool and he had trouble too, although it could quite possibly be operator error on both parts as the cel does come on.
I'd suggest trying another scantool. A bad MAF could cause some strange fuel mixture problems.
k, so where/ what is an maf
also having trouble getting this thing started. It cranks fine and occaisionally tries to fire up but rarely comes to an idle.
I had the same issue before. The problem with mine was a injector that was always firing or not firing in time with the spark. Mine occured after I had the engine out and put it back in. The actual cause of the problem was a loose wiring harness. Basically the three wiring harnesses on the passenger side of the engine compartment were not "clicked" together. Un-plug those three harnesses and plug them together. If you do not hear the click when you put them together than they will not make proper contact. 2 of mine clicked and the third required a pair of channel locks to get it to click. Once I did that the misfire was gone and no more gas in the oil.
MAF is the sensor between the airfilter and the throttle body. It has 4 wires connected to it.
already changed over w/maf from my parts car(ran fine but blown hed gask)
Originally posted by rizomorph:
also having trouble getting this thing started. It cranks fine and occaisionally tries to fire up but rarely comes to an idle.

Do a fuel pressure test.
Low fuel pressure causes misfires and means your fuel pump is bad.
Do you have vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator?

Is there oil in the pleated intake tube?

How cold is it/does the ECT check out after wiring fix?

If the oil (white smoke) is not leaking internally (rings, valve seals) it is probably coming from the PCV system. Oil can get sucked in through the PCV valve, or blown through the fresh air hoses back to the intake. You can try removing the PCV valve and plugging both hoses as a test. Also check the PCV hoses for damage. If the engine has been overheated, burnt oil can plug the oil separator (under the upper intake) or the oil return galleries in the heads. this can cause oil to be sucked into the engine in large ammounts. Look for crud buildup on the heads, it may be visible through the oil filler cap.

Gas in the oil can be caused by leaky injectors, an ECT that reads too cold, high fuel pressure, bad O2s...
vacuum at the fuel pressure regulator-yes
oil in pleated intake tube-yes
car is heated in my garge/not sure what you mean by ect

I actually did get the car started last night and drove it about 3 miles. It ran alright with only a slight loss of power than what these normally have. I brought it home and parked it and tried to restart as soon as i shut it off and haven't been able to start it up since. One thing i noticed is that as soon as you turn the key it will read full temp guage. Correct me if I am wrong but that would not affect starting would it? I pulled the plugs this morn and they were pretty thick w/gas but i am sure they are getting spark. I picked up a new set of plugs anyways and i new pcv valve i will install shortly although i doubt this will make a difference
almost forgot-when you rev up the engine the batt light kicks on
The sending unit for the temperature guage is seperate. could be the sender or wiring.

If the ECT (engine coolant temp sender) reads too cold for conditions it will flood the engine.

Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the gas out, should fire back up.

The ALT. problem sounds like floating brushes.

Don't rule out further wiring faults.
Oh, BTW.

Originally posted by rizomorph:
oil in pleated intake tube-yes

This indicates a PCV problem or excessive blowby.

Disconnect the fresh air tube from the rear valve cover and plug both the hose and nipple. Then disconnect the front tube and plug the hose. Start the engine and put your thumb over the front valve cover nipple. If the PCV system is working, vacuum will build up in the crankcase and on your thumb. If the PCV system does not work, crankcase vapor will blow out. If it blows out hard, you have an internal problem. If oil spits out, you will have to remove the valve cover and investigate. Oil may be building up in the valve cover instead of draining back to the pan.
I put the new pcv valve/plugs in the car and after some hesitation it started up. I drove it about about a mile or two when accellerator cable popped off and it stalled out. It wouldn't start up again so I cleaned off the plugs,they were pretty oily and it started and drove home. Started it up today and drove it to get codes at auto zone about a half mile away but scan tool was broken so ive still got no codes. Haven't had a chance to do the test with the pcv sys yet as the car is firing and getting fuel but won't start up again, but now the plugs are clean????? I pulled the intake and it looked like it was blowing a little bit of oil/gas out around the gasket on the rear between the upper/lower intake. I guess I am going to dope the gasket up with some sealant and see if that doesn't fix it up. There was oil i could see in the tube the pcv sits in thoh-
also changed the coolant temp sensor and temp guage reads correctly now
once again I replaced the plugs w/new and it fired right up,I plugged up the pcv lines to check for vacuum/pressure at fron valve cover and oddly enough i got neither. I thought maybe i just wasn't feeling it so i place a cigarette over top to watch smoke, and nothing,no flow either way. I Decided to take the chance going 3-4 miles to a different auto zone(broken scan tool at closer one). Of course i got caught in traffic and stalled out and won't start again. luckily it died close to a friends house so I will go out tomorrow and my guess is after plugs once again it will fire up, hopefully i can get some codes then. Just like to toss out thanks to everybody who's participated in this. Beyond the codes though im not really sure what to do next.
oops maybe i should try to get this all in one post. oh well. When it stalled I did pull the plugs and popped in a new set. The ones on back were pretty black, ones on front looked alright. I didn't have a gapper so i just put in the new set w/out gapping first. Car tried to start after that and could tell it was firing but wouldn't come to an idle?????????????
anyone know where the fuel pump fuse is located?
Went back and car fired right up.My transportation needs are too urgent and i really can't play around with this any longer so i am selling both cars on ebay, I will post the address. The pcv system doesn't appear to be doing anything at all and isn't stopped up outside of the block (pulled it apart last night. in case any one would be interested my reserve will only be 200.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2458702040
© CEG Archives