Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: JonnySVT Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/19/03 07:01 AM
i was having misfiring and CELs from when I got my car until when I put my magnecors and autolite double plats in about a month ago. since i put the wires and plugs in, there has been no problems. the wires did not fit to my satisfaction but they're on. today, a CEL clicks on. So I figure it might be a fluke and reset the ecu. i drive to work and it's fine. then i start it up after about a half hour, and the CEL is back. There is a small, barely noticeable exhaust pufft at about 1250 rpm after startup when it is lowering down to idle. it sounds like it doesnt run exactly right from the "tailpipe listening test", but i can't be too sure. i checked the wires thinking one was off, but they are all on. what else could it be? i read the zetec post about autolites not being right, the motorcrafts are required maybe. but i thought they were the same. anybody have any input or diagnoses on my problem? thanx.
I would pull the plugs and check the gap, Autolites are quality plugs, so you shopuldn't have any probs. When was the last time you:

1) Cleaned the MAF?
2) Cleaned the Throttle Body and EGR passages?
3) Cleaned the IAC?
4) Checked the IMRC linkage?

All of these (and others) could contribute to rough idling....And, all of these "fixes" can be found in the FAQ's ands by using the Search function here.....Good luck my friend!
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/19/03 10:45 PM
ok, i took the car to goodyear by where i work. they say the code is telling them that it is the camshaft positioning sensor on bank 1 IIRC. they say 100 for part, 130 for labor, and 60 to clear the light. i asked them to write the code down and i got home and it was not there. i will go back on monday because i'm cool with one of the guys and just get them to get the code again, no problem. the part that bugs me is the 60 to clear the light, are you kidding me. thats just as bad as telling me my headlight fluid is low. sensor is believable and makes sense that it would cause a little hesitation or misfiring. but i will get the code and post it monday. also, i just gapped and install the plugs less than a month ago, cleaned maf and iac about 2 months ago, and have not fiddled with the egr or imrc yet. how hard would it be to replace the sensor myself? any ideas, i'll search too, just asking. thanx.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/19/03 11:07 PM
i was looking at the wrong slip, the code is P0340. also i need a new serpentine belt and they want 70 for the belt and 88 for labor.
Posted By: dbird_dup1 Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/20/03 01:57 AM
You can get a good belt for about $20 and do it yourself and save the money..... 70 and 80, wow... those guys want to get rich quick?????
WOW! .. If I were you I would replace the sensor myself as well. That sensor is only held in by one 10MM bolt. It takes about 10 minutes at most to replace and isn't even close to worth the $ that they are asking. I agree on the belt as well, that is also something that you can do. The belt is a little harder than the sensor but with a few minutes and some patients it can also be done.

-Nate
98.5 SVT
3L w/juice
Posted By: BiggsvT28 Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/20/03 07:21 AM
They are trying to arse rape you. All you have to do for the serpentine belt is relieve the tension with a wrench and slide the belt off, installation is the reverse and is nearly as easy. 10 min job.

I can't believe they want to charge you 60 just for pulling the ground, just ridiculous. If i were you i would go back and laugh in their faces.

Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/20/03 09:08 AM
i searched and some have replaced the sensor to success and some still don't work, but i have gathered plenty of info. first, the part is 14 bux on fordpartsonline.com as opposed to 100 from goodyear, then i hear it is a one bolt, ten minute job, as opposed to 130 bux from goodyear. they are really pissing me off, i wonder how many old people they screw over everyday. i used to never trust them, but i figured why not after 2 years, just try them out, yeah.....that was a big flop. well, i guess i'll just try to get the part on monday from a dealer and try it out. hopefully it will work because i'm afraid to drive my car. it almost dies when i rev it hard at a stop, like the tb is letting in too much air or something; it dips rpms from 700 to about 450 them jumps up and my headlights even dimmed, then the whole stuttering thing....i hope it works. thanks for all the help guys. it's ok, to drive til monday though, right? not over 3500......
As long as you don't drive it hard or far you'll be ok till Monday. As for Goodyear, I have no trust in them at all. I do all my own work however, unfortunatly I had to replace wheel bearings in the front last yr and being that it requires a bearing press to do I had no choice but to take it in. When I got the car back they lost 2 of my lug nuts, chiped my rim, and bent the caliper bracket. I had to take the car to a rim shop to have the rim repaired, at their expence, then wait a week to get matching lugs in from Ford, then ended up fixing the caliper bracket on my own. In short, I'll never trust them again.The sensor is really easy to install though, and the belt is about the same. Both are not even close to worth what they are trying to nail you for.

-Nate
98.5 SVT
3L w/juice
From service manual

Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor

Removal

1. Disconnect the camshaft position sensor electrical connector.

2. Remove the camshaft position sensor.

Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Sensor is held in place with one bolt. Sounds like 15 minutes labor (including lifting/lowering hood, locating sensor). Sensor list price is $17.44 (www.fordpartsonline.com). CEL reset 5 minutes.

Perhaps they were just joking with you. If not, suggest you switch repair shops, immediately.

Edit:
p.s. Sorry, composed off-line and posted without seeing your 5:08 am post.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/20/03 06:43 PM
i was wondering since i am doing this myself, can somebody tell me exactly where it is located? i like to do stuff on my own too, but i'm good at messing stuff up also. i always seem to find a way, but i guess i learn each time huh. i should get a manual for my car, but have not yet. it's usually the first thing i get, i just keep slackin. thanx a lot guys.
The Crankshaft sensor is located on the front side of the timing cover about 3/4 of the way down. Just above the Crank Dampener and next to the AC compressor. bolts into the timing chain cover.

-Nate
98.5 SVT
3L w/juice
SHUT UP, BEND OVER, & SPREAD YOUR CHEEKS!!
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/21/03 02:34 AM
yup, she's runnin like a champ again. 12.99 @ autozone w/3 month warranty. 10 minutes of painstaking labor....right. thanx for the help guys and nate it was the cam sensor not crank senor, but i found it, thanx.
Cool man.. glad to see it worked out.

-Nate
Originally posted by wontgrowup:
I would pull the plugs and check the gap, Autolites are quality plugs, so you shopuldn't have any probs. Good luck my friend!

Agreed, they are 'quality plugs', but they aren't the 'correct plugs'. The Motorcrafts are a (dealer quote) "fine wire-low resistance plug". I tell ya man, I about pulled my hair out over this. I was seriously going to trade the Tour in. I'm not sure if the V-6 is the same as the I-4, but I'd bet it is. A call to your dealer and a KNOWLEDGEABLE parts guy can't hurt. If he tells you that your motor requires a fine wire low resistance plug, you know what's wrong.
Originally posted by newguysvt:
ok, i took the car to goodyear by where i work. they say the code is telling them that it is the camshaft positioning sensor on bank 1 IIRC. they say 100 for part, 130 for labor, and 60 to clear the light. i asked them to write the code down and i got home and it was not there. i will go back on monday because i'm cool with one of the guys and just get them to get the code again, no problem. the part that bugs me is the 60 to clear the light, are you kidding me. thats just as bad as telling me my headlight fluid is low. sensor is believable and makes sense that it would cause a little hesitation or misfiring. but i will get the code and post it monday. also, i just gapped and install the plugs less than a month ago, cleaned maf and iac about 2 months ago, and have not fiddled with the egr or imrc yet. how hard would it be to replace the sensor myself? any ideas, i'll search too, just asking. thanx.

Do you know Autozone will check and clear a CEL for free ? (once the CEL displays to the diagnostic it clears, but unless you repair the problem the CEL will reappear)
Posted By: TourDeForce Word of advice .... - 07/23/03 08:52 PM
Stay away from Pep Boys too!! I used to go there for tires only, now I won't even do that since they cross threaded a COUPLE of lugs on a tire I had them repair.

Just two days ago, my mother-in-law takes her van in for some service. They tell her your overheat problem is your cooling fan. You'll need a new fan assembly installed for $400. I went to her house, replaced a 25 amp fuse & the thing is working fine.

Learn to do it yourself is my advice.
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Word of advice .... - 07/24/03 12:37 AM
Thanx for all the advice Kennard but my problem was already fixed by the cam position sensor as mentioned above and Autozones in CA do not check at all. I stay clear of any mechanic/tire store and do mostly all of the work myself, I just did not have a code reader so i payed 68 to have it read and diagnosed. Pep Boys charges like 80 for the same thing though....
Originally posted by Kennard:
Originally posted by wontgrowup:
I would pull the plugs and check the gap, Autolites are quality plugs, so you shopuldn't have any probs. Good luck my friend!

Agreed, they are 'quality plugs', but they aren't the 'correct plugs'. The Motorcrafts are a (dealer quote) "fine wire-low resistance plug". I tell ya man, I about pulled my hair out over this. I was seriously going to trade the Tour in. I'm not sure if the V-6 is the same as the I-4, but I'd bet it is. A call to your dealer and a KNOWLEDGEABLE parts guy can't hurt. If he tells you that your motor requires a fine wire low resistance plug, you know what's wrong.

yeah, i went to autozone to buy spark plugs, and the dude was like "damn" when he saw my plugs. the only plugs their computer said i could have were the motorcraft triple platnum for $4.50/each. i was used to paying like $0.99 for them......
68 Bucks?!?!? You DEFINITELY got screwed on that one!!! You could go to any Autozone and have it read for free!!! Also, if you want to "clear' the CEL after you replaced the defective part, just reset the computer by pulling the negative lead on your battery for 20 minutes. 20/20 did an expose' on those Goodyear shops a few years ago with a hidden camera and it was scary!!! they caught these jerks on camera pulling fuses and relays and then telling the "customer" that the repairs would be in the hundreds of dollars!! Stay as far away from those jerks as possible....Which is kinda hard to do since you actually work at that one! Geez, you work there and they still tried to screw you....time to find another job
Posted By: dbird_dup1 Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/24/03 01:22 PM
I was used to paying $.99 for them, how many times did you change them???? i got a 96 and the plugs never where changed and the car runs well and no thought of changing them soon, only got 25000 miles and going strong.....
Posted By: Ed98.5SVT Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/24/03 03:36 PM
Originally posted by newguysvt:
i was looking at the wrong slip, the code is P0340. also i need a new serpentine belt and they want 70 for the belt and 88 for labor.

I bought the belt at a Ford Dealer for $26.00???????
Posted By: JonnySVT Re: Definitely need some help over here!! - 07/24/03 09:23 PM
WTF?! what are you guys reading? i already stated that Autozones in CA do not check your CEL for free, no place does in CA for free. my plugs are just fine. I don't work at Goodyear and I know they are scheisty. I know I can reset my computer by either pulling the cable or the 2 fuses, I have done it several times. I do not have a code reader as stated above so I just needed my code read. I know 68 is a lot but it is the cheapest around here that I can find. What's going on here? The problem was fixed like 3-4 days ago and I am still getting posts on it that have nothing to do with anything. Thanx for trying to help though...
Forget I said anything....
© CEG Archives