Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 95ContourGL2.5 WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/07/03 04:12 PM
I was making a right turn, and noticed a wwuuuwwuuuu noise. This noise only happens when I turn right. My dad came over and double checked my brakes, and they were good, and he did a short inspection of my struts and he said they looked fine to. I talked to my in-laws, because one of them is a machanic, and he said it might be the drive axel. I drive a 1995 Ford Contour GL 2.5.
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/07/03 04:17 PM
Originally posted by 95ContourGL2.5:
I was making a right turn, and noticed a wwuuuwwuuuu noise. This noise only happens when I turn right. My dad came over and double checked my brakes, and they were good, and he did a short inspection of my struts and he said they looked fine to. I talked to my in-laws, because one of them is a machanic, and he said it might be the drive axel. I drive a 1995 Ford Contour GL 2.5.

A lot of people have experienced bearing failures when turning in one direction causes the noise to rise and turning in the other direction causes the noise to lessen.
Posted By: ElKy Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/07/03 04:17 PM
took the words outta my mouth..
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/07/03 04:19 PM
Originally posted by ElKy:
took the words outta my mouth..

Rather get a grill...
Posted By: docjames Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/08/03 02:57 AM
You should check the CV joints and boots.....
Posted By: crshnrun Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/08/03 03:36 AM
Most likely a front wheel bearing failure. Don't know which one, I've had both of mine replaced and I can't remember which way I turned that the noise got louder.

I would think that it wouldn't be a CV Joint, you would hear a clicking coming from one side or the other if it was a cv joint.

Hope it helps,
Mike
Posted By: 1BADTOUR Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/08/03 04:28 AM
Yeah sounds like a bearing to me. My friends was doing the same thing and thats what it was.
Posted By: Bounty Hunter_dup1 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/08/03 04:40 AM
OH yes the infamous wheel bearing problem that we all know about on a personal level
Posted By: 95ContourGL2.5 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/09/03 03:46 PM
Ok, thanks for the advise.

Next question:
Is it ok to drive on still? And is this going to happen to the other side, or is it just one side that goes bad?
Posted By: Mod-deth Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/09/03 03:49 PM
Originally posted by 95ContourGL2.5:
Ok, thanks for the advise.

Next question:
Is it ok to drive on still? And is this going to happen to the other side, or is it just one side that goes bad?

It'll get worse as you drive...and as all things..will begin to effect other parts. Its pressed in to place...and its a big *ss bearing. Seems like I remember about $80 from NAPA..and Ford charged me $180 to install. Its not that its hard, but you have to get at it in the knuckle to do it.
Posted By: 95ContourGL2.5 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/16/03 03:14 PM
Ok, the noise does not happen when "car guys" are in the car, but when I deliver I hear it all the time. Is there anyway that I can test the bearing without taking it apart?
Posted By: bentleywarren_dup1 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/16/03 05:08 PM
Jack up the front end, so that the wheels are free to spin and move. Shake the tires by hand, up and down, left and right. See if there is excessive movement in either wheel.
Posted By: Guest123 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/17/03 10:29 PM
i noticed that my girl friends contour lx has the same problem you can be going down a straight road and lightly jerk the wheel to the right and you will hear it. i am guessing that it is the dirvers side bearing because i crashed the car a year ago and everything on that side was replaced. any one know for sure. also does some on have a chilton's manual or know exactally how to go about replacing it. thanks
Posted By: bentleywarren_dup1 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/18/03 12:27 AM
Remove the wheel, caliper, rotor, hub, etc....The bearing is pressed into the hub. The standard recommendation is to have the old bearing removed, and the new bearing installed, with a hydraulic press. It is possible to remove the old bearing and install the new without a hydraulic press, by using a hammer and suitable sized driver to drive out the old and drive in the new. It is also very easy to mess up the new bearing while you are driving it back in. If you consider yourself handy with tools, you can do the job yourself, but I think a lot of people end up having the bearing replaced at a shop with a press.

Posted By: 95ContourGL2.5 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 01/21/03 06:34 PM
Well I took to driving my car again after a while of driving my wifes Maxima . I heard the noise again, but it only after hitting a bump. Then I heard it like normal again after that. I got out of the car, and pushed down on it from directly above the wheelwell, and it made the noise. Would I be correct in assuming that it would be the sturts making the noise? And everytime I turn right it loads the left side of the car hence making the noise?
Posted By: Guest123 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 05/03/03 05:36 AM
took the car to napa auto repair and the replaced the wheel bearing for $130. not to shabby

no more weird noises from that area
Posted By: PranQster_dup1 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 05/03/03 09:37 AM
Heh, I thought it was a whoo-whoooooooo noise at first... thought it was a post about whistle-tips.
Posted By: PranQster_dup1 Re: WWUUUU WUUUUUUU - 05/03/03 09:42 AM
This is probably old stuff but:
http://www.bubbrubb.com
The KRON news report clip is interesting a.k.a. the video that started it all.
© CEG Archives