Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Phil Rohtla_dup1 Left rear door hard to open - 08/26/02 05:10 PM
Hi again, figured I'd post while it crosses my mind....

My SVT has a left rear door that is hard to open and close. The latch et al works fine, but when pulling the door open or pushing it shut, there is a lot of resistance to movement. It also stays in the same position if you open it only partway. I have lubed everyhting I could find in the door to lube, but to no avail. Anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?
Posted By: ElKy Re: Left rear door hard to open - 08/26/02 05:19 PM
ussually if you lube it up that helps.
did you lube the flat guide rod that goes from the jamb to the door?
that always frees up my rear doors.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Left rear door hard to open - 08/26/02 05:21 PM
I have had same problem plus squeak on my '97. I guess it's the least used door on car and prone to resistance from corrosion. I sprayed the white Lithium grease on the hinges and "hill-holder" (my term) which stopped the sqeaking and loosened it a bit. It's still not as easy to open as the other doors.
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: Left rear door hard to open - 08/26/02 07:10 PM
Mine does this too. Not as bad as yours though. That door is used often on my car by the way. Lube does help a little.
Posted By: steener_dup1 Re: Left rear door hard to open - 08/26/02 07:14 PM
Which one is "left"? Is that the passenger side?

My passenger-side rear door has been sticky since the day I bought the car.

I even called the previous owner (a middle-aged, responsible sort of chap, who'd traded the car in on an SUV), who said he never opened the back doors more than two or three times, let alone inflict any damage on them.

I've tried all kinds of lubricants, and the Ford dealer's bodyshop fiddled with it for a day, but couldn't make it any better.

Funny. (Not funny ha-ha, but funny odd, you know?)
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Left rear door hard to open - 08/26/02 08:22 PM
Originally posted by steener:
Which one is "left"? Is that the passenger side?

By convention driver's side of car is the left side.
Posted By: GLChick'95_dup1 Re: Left rear door hard to open - 08/27/02 01:36 AM
Yep, I have had the same problem with my passenger door. It gets real rusty every 4 months. I have NO idea why, I just grease it. But it gets annoying, ya know. Funny how Ford can't fix that. Cheap parts strike again! mahwhahwahwhawh
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Left rear door hard to open - 08/27/02 03:18 AM
This must be a common problem. I have heard of several doors doing this. Mine does the same thing. I keep it lubed with whatever I have at the time and it has gotten a LITTLE better.
© CEG Archives