Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: sylin_dup1 My cat dumped her jacket - 08/20/02 02:23 AM
Hi there,

After 5-3/4 years the cat-converter felt enough to be in the same jacket, so it dumped it - the entire bottom heat shield fell, as its surround where the shield meets the rim of the cat was all rusted. Can someone tell if it's okay to let the cat be naked that way? The top shield is fine, BTW. Thanks for any input!
Posted By: 2redtours_dup1 Re: My cat dumped her jacket - 08/20/02 02:44 AM
Originally posted by sylin:
Hi there,

After 5-3/4 years the cat-converter felt enough to be in the same jacket, so it dumped it - the entire bottom heat shield fell, as its surround where the shield meets the rim of the cat was all rusted. Can someone tell if it's okay to let the cat be naked that way? The top shield is fine, BTW. Thanks for any input!

We aren't allowed to talk about naked cats here, this is a family forum.

I drove my Miata with no lower cat shield for ages. Then the top one came loose and started rattling, so I snipped the rest of that off too. I never did notice any difference, but then the previous owner had put some sort of thermal foil under the carpet anyway.

Just don't park over grass or anything flammable and you'll be OK.
Posted By: 99blacksesport_dup1 Re: My cat dumped her jacket - 08/20/02 03:00 AM
I believe you might have a problem with it heating up the oil pan, and the oil that might be in said pan. Isnt that why people were looking into making a heatshield for the catless Sho-shop Y-pipes??? -Nick
Posted By: PA 3L SVT_dup1 Re: My cat dumped her jacket - 08/20/02 04:23 AM
Originally posted by 99blacksesport:
I believe you might have a problem with it heating up the oil pan, and the oil that might be in said pan. Isnt that why people were looking into making a heatshield for the catless Sho-shop Y-pipes??? -Nick

No, that was for any aftermarket Y pipe (catless or not, any brand), as the heatshielding material in the stock Y pipe is not retained at the oil pan. Different heatshield than what is being talked about here.
Posted By: Paul Kienitz_dup1 Re: My cat dumped her jacket - 08/20/02 05:17 AM
Your cat is shedding, eh?

Watch out for hairballs.
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: My cat dumped her jacket - 08/21/02 08:05 PM
My '92 Mustang lost top and bottom sheilds for the RF cat about five years ago, no problem so far. Car is driven daily.
© CEG Archives