Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: kjsol Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/18/02 03:55 PM
Ok ... so anyone know how to make the car thing the clutch pedal is depressed when it isn't?

The SVT will not start. It's doing exactly what it does when the clutch isn't depressed. I messed with the bolt on the back side of the clutch pedal trying to make it engage when it wasn't on the firewall.

TIA.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/18/02 04:23 PM
Switch provides ground, so connecting black/yellow wire, on switch side of 8 pin connector, to ground should do the job.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/18/02 04:27 PM
Why would you want to disable a safety device? The first time you start the car in gear and ram the bumper into another car you will understand why it is there. Seems like an expensive lesson though.
Posted By: kjsol Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/18/02 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info Jim. I know why it's there though (I'm not a total moron thank you). I used to have an auto-starter on my Honda Civic and have since left every MT car I've driven in N. I'll not be doing what you meantioned but thanks for looking out of me??

Horse. The switch that I am talking about is on the topside of the clutch and there is no black/yellow wire. There are 4 wires (two Orange/Blue, White, Black). The firewall switch is the offender in this case. I haven't been able to see the wire colors on it (there might well be a Black/yellow wire). The plunger will not go in all the way (and start the car) with the bolt in place (ie: take it out and it works fine).

Thanks,
KJ
There is a howto for this in the Mods section...

-Lance
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/18/02 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Why would you want to disable a safety device? The first time you start the car in gear and ram the bumper into another car you will understand why it is there. Seems like an expensive lesson though.

It's not a safety device, it's an idiot switch. European cars don't have them and they are predominantly manual. If people are dumb enough to bump the car in front in this manner, they shouldn't be driving.

Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/19/02 04:06 AM
Originally posted by MarkO:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

It's not a safety device, it's an idiot switch. European cars don't have them and they are predominantly manual. If people are dumb enough to bump the car in front in this manner, they shouldn't be driving.

Most safety devices are an attempt to make the product idiot proof.

Anyway, no insult intended if anyone took it as such. Just an attempt at a wake up call before disabling a safety device.
Posted By: horseydug_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/19/02 05:57 AM
8 pin connector I was referring to was above brake pedal not at the clutch switch, but I am referencing a '97 wiring manual and it shows only 2 wires to clutch switch.

Hope you get it started.
Posted By: CRZYDRVR_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/19/02 06:42 AM
In reply to:

If people are dumb enough to bump the car in front in this manner, they shouldn't be driving.

I agree, I drove a manual truck for 10 years, and of all the dumb things I did behind the wheel, I never did that.
Posted By: alex_96GL_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/19/02 01:26 PM
I would certainly consider the ability to roll my car off the intersection or an RR crossing w/ the engine dead to be a safety feature (for uninitiated: this is done by the starter if the switch is disabled), but then again I have ATX and MTX in the family so I either look for a clutch in ATX or try to start MTX w/o depressing the clutch first. I am a moron, what can I tell ya?
Instead of bypassing it completey, put in a push button switch (Real SUV's do this to start engine on hill while in gear)

Bypasses the safety when you want to, but won't let you forget and bump in gear.

Safe and useful....
Posted By: kjsol Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/19/02 02:47 PM
Thanks for the posts

Jim ... I took it personal (I shouldn't have I know but I did).

Horse ... I know the 2K has two plunger switches on it now. One is just above the pedal and the other on the firewall. It seems that in my playing around with the bolt (used to adjust the engagement point) I messed up the firewall switch. Now I have to take the bolt all the way off for the switch to be depressed far enough to start the car.

To me it's not a safty "feature" it's a hinderance since my car sat (albeit while I was in Canada) for a week while I toyed with the top switch not seeing the firewall one.
Posted By: F111D F_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/19/02 03:21 PM
I've been under the assumtion these safety switches on the MTX or the ATX stemmed from the Audi
law suits in the 70's? I've forgotten the time frame now.
Goes right alone with law suit safety clutch and blade stops on your lawn mowers.
Law suit idiot proofing.

Paul
Posted By: Stazi Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/19/02 04:37 PM
The quickest way to bypass it is to unplug it and then use a small staple to jump the connection in the plug. I did this, and then just slid the plug back down onto the switch again. It won't go all the way back down cos of the staple, but it has never come off or caused me any problems whatsoever.
Posted By: edorfox_dup1 Re: Bypassing the Clutch pedal switch - 08/22/02 12:40 AM
Hi,

My method of bypassing the clutch switch...Remove the switch, while the plunger is depressed drill a 1/16th" (.062")hole completely through the plunger and the guide tube for the plunger near the body of the switch. Then stick a suitable cotter pin (bend it ever so slightly) in the hole to retain the switch. Whenever you want simply reach up to the switch and pull out the pin and replace it just as easily. I always liked having the clutch released just to prevent any uneccessary wear on the crankshaft thrust bearing during startup. Silly, I know.

...Ed
© CEG Archives