Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Okay here is what happend I was trying to do the foglight mod with parking light mod and while trying to reconnect the wires I noticed that my headlights when turned on, didnt turn off using the headlight switch switch,

I tinkered with the high beam lever/turn signal and found that IT turned the lights off not the switch for DRLs (so that must mean my DRL relay was fused).

Being at this for hours, I decided hey I can live with this but, as I was trying to insulate the whole thing up again using tape when I slipped and the ORANGE/BLACK wire touched the left metal siding... in which then sparks FLEW and then the wire stuck to the metal piece, so trying to just ightly touch the metal piece to see if any sparks were made, none, with any of the wires Orange or ORANGE/BLACK, so my headlight wiring is fused, what do I do about it? What can I do to fix it? If it's not a DIY, who do I have to take it to to have it fixed and up and running before night time?

Please any help would be appreciated
Did I just cause a really expensive repair? The parking lights still come on, but the fogs and headlights don't come on anymore. I'm desperately waiting for some of you guys to comment on this so I can get everything rewired up.
I have no idea what your post means. The more I read it, the more confused I got.
I tried to do THIS mod http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=7

I got to step 5, but then I tried rewiring EVERYTHING and said hey [censored] this mod I don't need to do it I might screw up. So in trying to reattached and reinsulate the wires back to their original state, I tested the lights to see if they still turned on, they didn't so I thought hrm... and that's when I discovered the headlight switch didn't control the lighting turning on and off anymore, it was the turn signal lever. When I put the high beams on the headlamps turned off, they turned on and stayed on when I had the highbeams off. I said eh, you know what I can live with this, but the funny thing was, my hand slipped in insulating the wires and the uninsulated wires made contact with the metal on the left side of the footwell. Now EVERYTHING is fused and the light's won't turn on regardless. I think I fused the wires because touching the metal part on the foot well with the uninsulated wires NOW doesn't produce any sparks when before it did.
Anyone have any idea? Is the whole thing fused? Or what happens now?
Cross feed and fuses. Go through all the wires to make sure that none is wired wrongly. In addition, check fuses to make sure all is fine.
I've checked the fuses but there is no way to know if it's fine or not. I want so badly to have this working, what I've done is now that I'm trying to touch the wires together like I did before to at least see the light from my headlights on, yes they were controlled by the highbeam switch but at least they came on. Now touching those wires together will not turn the lights on, nothing will... I don't know if the fuses are blown or not because there is no way to test for that, I want ot just basically give up and go to a mechanic that does electrical work to fix this. Or basically fix my screw up.
Originally posted by m4gician:
I've checked the fuses but there is no way to know if it's fine or not. ...

Autoshops sell those fuse check thingys for $5. Put the fuse in, if it works, it lights up. In addition, you can use an ammeter to test for continuity. Or use a wire, flash light bulb, battery and connect the fuse inline. If the bulb lights up, the fuse works.

Fuses under dash and left of steering column for Passenger Compartment Fuse box and in Power Distribution Box next to the battery.
Oh man am I way in over my head, ... I have to check fuses 8 9 and 1? in the fuse box under the hood? What else? Also is there a way of maybe removing DRL capabilities from my car so that I can at least get my headlights working so I can drive at night maybe? This may be an expensive repair if I bring it to a mechanic which I don't want to do all because my hand slipped... any ideas tony? Btw the ORANGE/BLACK wire the uninsulated end touched the metal and I fused that wire... any ideas on where to go from there?
Okay hrm, what fuses are the Orange, and Orange/black wire connected to because I'll go to the store or the yard and pick them up right now. If anyone knows, please just let me know.
CJB fuse box under dash F-26 F-23 with DRL

BJB fuse next to battery F15,16,17,18 Relays K37,K36 which shows R 9,10 on the lid. DRL relay shows a R 1

Also blocking diodes which wiring layout says located "behind dash panel left hand side. very informative

that orange wire shows up it many places and with those blocking diodes that's scarey! Sorry it's been many years since I did mine and I don't have DRL's!

Wiring diagrams are needed to properly troubleshoot. IMHO

Paul
This is the first mod I ever did and I had no idea what I was doing back then. Just followed the how to.
meh... I fused the wires by touching them with metal, that's why sparks flew therefore I blew the system, so now I need to A) Fix that by probably replacing the fuse

B) re-wire everything so that everything goes back to normal by the fog-light mod still works.

C) do it ASAP otherwise my car is grounded at 8PM
Originally posted by F111D F:

BJB fuse next to battery F15,16,17,18 Relays K37,K36 which shows R 9,10 on the lid. DRL relay shows a R 1

Also blocking diodes which wiring layout says located "behind dash panel left hand side. very informative

that orange wire shows up it many places and with those blocking diodes that's scarey! Sorry it's been many years since I did mine and I don't have DRL's!

Paul

HUH?! oh no im hopeless aren't I.
okay well I know one thing for sure, I have got to be able to get a current flowing through the Orange nad ORANGE/BLACK wires. That's my goal so that way I can rewire everything, now to get that current flowing I'm trying to dianose the proper fuse problem or something of that sort. Now i've tried replacing the fuses ACCORDING to the book because maybe it's different from what you've suggested, but I don't have a certain number of fuses on hand and now I'm at the mercy of the mechanic who will look at it. Anyways, i'm going to him 8am tomorrow morning to try to get this up and running.
UPDATE****

My DRLs work, I used them they come on when the car is on ACC and drive so no problem with DRLs. The problem is now the HEADLIGHTS don't come on, (neither do fogs), and the HIGH beams don't come on either. Also the BATTERY light is lit on the dash board, now I hope I didn't fry my alternator.... does anyone else have any ideas? Is this still a fuse problem? I just changed my alternator a little while back so come on... is that light related to that stupid FUSED ORANGE/BLACK wire? It sparked a lot, stuck to the metal on the side of the footwell, then it stopped and no current was flowing through the ORANGE or ORANGE/BLACK wire. Come on please someone help out with this....

Paul

CJB Central Junction Box aka passenger compartment fuse box under dash, left of steering wheel. I think he was replying to your question on what fuses orange color wires go to (F26, F23 with DRL).

BJB Battery Junction Box (aka Power Distribution Box next to the battery). Orange wires to F15,16,17,18 Relays K37,K36 which shows R 9,10 on the lid. DRL relay shows a R 1

Orange wires also go to blocking diodes (per wiring layout he has). And he rolls his eyes because the wiring is not informative because the description is too vague.

You really need a 1998 Ford CD with wiring diagrams.
PM todras to buy one.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=1049&Number=1282832&Board=trouble&what=showflat&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1
Originally posted by Tony2005:

Orange wires also go to blocking diodes (per wiring layout he has). And he rolls his eyes because the wiring is not informative because the description is too vague.

The only 4 wires I messed with were those detailed within the MOD. Secondly, the wire that I did "fry" was the ORANGE/BLACK wire, at least that's what it is refered to as in the FAQ HOW TO FOGLIGHT MOD. Now in relation to cutting the Orange wire, a lot of people have done it and have not had anything go wrong. My problems are I have no low beams, I have no high beams. They don't turn on with the switch, and while driving my Battery light is LIT meaning I either fried my alternator OR i fried the reader for that..

..while driving my Battery light is LIT meaning I either fried my alternator OR i fried the reader for that..

Check fuse 5 (fog lights) and check megafuse.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1133952&Forum=trouble&Words=fuse%205&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1117877&Search=true#Post1133952

Edit. This is what the megafuse looks like.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1273499&Forum=trouble&Words=megafuse&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=1273442&Search=true#Post1273499

Location of megafuse for the Duratec V6.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1098148&Forum=trouble&Words=here%20sign&Match=And&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1095791&Search=true#Post1098148

It appears that the Zetec I4 megafuse might be in the same location as the Duratec V6.

Originally posted by tiv:
... for me ('97 Zetec Contour) it was behind the engine in a longish rectangular black plastic box. Its an inline fuse, accessible from above.

Tiv

And if you haven't done so, download an Owners' Manual (free) www.fleet.ford.com
Thanks for jumping in and helping Tony2005, it's not the easiest thing to do if you haven't worked with this for awhile. I'm 60 and the ole "forgetter" works way too good! So I have to revist it all over again.

Why Viseton or Ford put that fuse where they did is beyond me?
Well I know but it still no excuse not to think of the technican at least a little. I cant believe that the 175 amp blew unless the engine was running the alternator had high output???
I'll go and look for the circuit and see how the light is wired to what?
I think Fuse F-26 is for the relay that supplies +12vdc to all the headlamps?

Paul

The other problem I have is the Ford CD wiring diagrams only shows small portions and the DRL is different diagram. I', still looking for the no charge light or Alt circuit????
"Thanks for jumping in and helping Tony2005"
You're most welcome. I always enjoy reading your posts. Very technical and to the point.

"I think Fuse F-26 is for the relay that supplies +12vdc to all the headlamps?"
Fuse 26 for headlamps, yes....

and you've already posted Relays 9 and 10 for the low and high beams.

Edit. Fuse List (Fuse Panel)
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=887004&Forum=trouble&Words=brake%20lights%20fuse&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=886893&Search=true#Post887004
Thanks Tony2005, know I have to really perform. I pulled F 26 CJB on my Mistake no headlights and pulled F-5 in the BJB, not sure what all that feeds but it does provide +12 to Alternator(probalbly the Field)because the output goes away and of course the ALT light comes on. AND it is on OG wire orange???? Sure be nice to have access to Mitchell's manual again they (I think had full wiring diagrams)to see for certain. I wondering if there are color dulpications ie: engine compartment wiring and cabin wiring???
Need to get yourself a VOM M4gician EH! and remove the battery negative ground this time (?)and check fuses for continuity.

By the way I do not always remove the battery ground when I work on the wiring. lazy Every now and then I damage something?

Paul
I'll try to keep a closer eye here, however the local Ham/weather net is up and possible 80 mph thunderstorms winds coming into the Mansfield Oh area.
..s and pulled F-5 in the BJB, not sure what all that feeds but it does provide +12 to Alternator(probalbly the Field)because the output goes away and of course the ALT light comes on. AND it is on OG wire orange???? ...

Yes, Fuse 5 is for the fog lights and the alternator "feed" does go through that, which is one item to check when there is an "alternator not charging battery" issue.
I'm so glad I'm not a Ford tech! Obviously there must be some secret info they get in training classes, how interupt Ford's wiring diagrams?

Tony have you ever seen Mitchell's diagrams of our cars?

Paul

..while driving my Battery light is LIT meaning I either fried my alternator OR i fried the reader for that..

Check fuse 5 (fog lights) and check megafuse.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1133952&Forum=trouble&Words=fuse%205&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1117877&Search=true#Post1133952

Edit. This is what the megafuse looks like.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1273499&Forum=trouble&Words=megafuse&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=1273442&Search=true#Post1273499

Location of megafuse for the Duratec V6.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1098148&Forum=trouble&Words=here%20sign&Match=And&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=1095791&Search=true#Post1098148

It appears that the Zetec I4 megafuse might be in the same location as the Duratec V6.

Originally posted by tiv:
... for me ('97 Zetec Contour) it was behind the engine in a longish rectangular black plastic box. Its an inline fuse, accessible from above.

Tiv

And if you haven't done so, download an Owners' Manual (free) www.fleet.ford.com

Tony You are a SAINT!! THank you, I replaced the fuse with the extra 7.5 I had avaiable and it worked WONDERS, thank you very very much and I appreciate you going through all the trouble, not just for me but the entire CEG community, you're great!
Just a note for further info F-5 has OG to ALT and OG/blk to the fogs.
The diagram shows short line with arrow also from the fuse with no reference as to what is it on either of the diagrams.

Yup I funked the Ford tech test!

Glad to have another happy Ceg'er.

Paul

...Tony have you ever seen Mitchell's diagrams of our cars?

Paul

No. Just Ford CD, Haynes and Chiltons Diagnostics.
...THank you, I replaced the fuse with the extra 7.5 I had avaiable and it worked WONDERS, thank you very very much and I appreciate you going through all the trouble, not just for me but the entire CEG community, you're great!

You're most welcome. Glad it worked out for you. F111D F posted a lot of good info in this thread too and much thanks goes to him as well.
© CEG Archives