Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: 1974 Pre Cats - 03/05/06 04:10 PM
98.5 svt Contour. Where is the best place to purchase new precats online? Also, if anyone has ever replaced these, how hard is it to do this job with the engine installed? Thanks for any info.
Posted By: AliasJerkâ?¢ Re: Pre Cats - 03/05/06 05:47 PM
Originally posted by 1974:
98.5 svt Contour. Where is the best place to purchase new precats online? Also, if anyone has ever replaced these, how hard is it to do this job with the engine installed? Thanks for any info.

Just gut them then buy an MIL eliminator.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Pre Cats - 03/05/06 06:13 PM
Are you sure you need them? There are a lot of false failures on those.
Posted By: Kenaida Re: Pre Cats - 03/07/06 03:15 AM
I have the same issue. Replaced the O2 sensors as well and same crap happened. I myself will be replacing the pre-cat. That MIL is a bunch of poo. It eliminates the CEL, yippie, but if it IS a serious problem, guess what, you would find out the hard way.

Many people claim that they have driven their car for 40k miles with the CEL on and they had no issues. So might be just a faulty reading, but I don't like taking chances.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Pre Cats - 03/07/06 03:25 AM
just get headers..precats will cost an arm and a leg
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Pre Cats - 03/07/06 04:10 AM
Originally posted by Kenaida:
I have the same issue. Replaced the O2 sensors as well and same crap happened. I myself will be replacing the pre-cat. That MIL is a bunch of poo. It eliminates the CEL, yippie, but if it IS a serious problem, guess what, you would find out the hard way.

Many people claim that they have driven their car for 40k miles with the CEL on and they had no issues. So might be just a faulty reading, but I don't like taking chances.

You have a misunderstanding about the MIL eliminators do. They only effect the codes for the pre cats so you will still get failure codes for other failures.

© CEG Archives