Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: phinfan no power on acceration. - 09/22/05 12:20 AM
2000 4cyl idles fine but no power on acceration. under 15 mph runs fine but over that it hesitates and dies. any ideas guys

phinfan
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: no power on acceration. - 09/22/05 01:01 AM
Clogged cat?
Low fuel pressure?
Bad MAF?
Posted By: phinfan Re: no power on acceration. - 09/22/05 01:09 AM
a 5 thousand miles ago the timing belt sliped and the guy who replaced it said it bent a valve in the #4 cyl. cel said misfire on #4. so i went to another guy who said he timed it wrong and he pulled the belt and reset the cams properly.it ran fine. so i guess the question is would a cloged converter just go from bad to good all at once? or would the problem build after time?btw no cel now.

thanks
phinfan
Posted By: Rogerm60 Re: no power on acceration. - 09/22/05 04:03 AM
Clogged cats creep up on ya over time.

If there are no codes for timing, check fuel pressure response, maybe the TPS, and the MAF. If you know someone with a good scantool you should be able to see what the problem is.

You may want to do a compression test, but if it runs slow at low load OK it's probably OK.
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: no power on acceration. - 09/22/05 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Rogerm60:
Clogged cat?
Low fuel pressure?
Bad MAF?

Test by: disconnect battery, remove the upper O2 sensor, reconnect battery. If the car performs better, then you know the pre-cat is clogged. If car doesn't perform better, try with lower O2 sensor. If the car performs better, then the main cat is clogged.

Change fuel filter

Clean MAF

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=v6maint&Number=958650&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1
Posted By: phinfan Re: no power on acceration. - 09/22/05 01:34 PM
the guy who fixed it for me the second time did a compression test to check for the bent valve. said compression was good. i will check the rest of the stuff you guys recommended today.

thanks

phinfan
© CEG Archives