Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: ZetecTour A/C electrical problem - 07/09/05 03:52 PM
First i just want to say that i searched and could not find what i needed.....so, my a/c does not turn on at all....its like there is no power going to it....i checked every single fuse in the car, and the engine compartment...then for the hell of it, i even replaced all the a/c,blower fuses and relays...when checking the fuse box, i noticed that there are some wires running into the fuse box...now one of the plugs that go into the fuse box was melted...i unplugged it and tried to start the car, it would crank but not turn over....i plug it back in, and the car started fine.....could this be the problem for the a/c, or is it some other kind of electrical problem.any help is appreciated....TIA.
Posted By: 2X95SEs_dup1 Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/09/05 06:21 PM
On mine the 30 amp fuse holder in the fusebox was half melted internally which pulled the contact leg away from the fuse. The holder is too low of a rating for a 30 amp circuit IMO. When this circuit fails nothing comes on. No vent - nothing. I had to put a jumper in because the cleanup I did didn't last too long and failed. I took a live feed via a scotch lock and put a male plug on it and plugged it into the good (motor) side of the fuse holder.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/09/05 06:26 PM
do u have a pic of how it was done?it gets HOT here in florida....and when it rains, i have no defroster
Posted By: 2X95SEs_dup1 Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/09/05 10:48 PM
If this is your problem nothing electrical will work with the blower system. Is your fuse holder melting? When I tried to remove the 30 amp fuse it was semi-welded to the fusebox. When I got the fuse out with a pair of pliers it was messed up. The hot (live) side is what was melting on mine. I don't have any pictures or any way to get one on the web since I am away from home right now. I used a scotch-lock for 10-12 gauge wire and tapped the 60 amp live feed going into the fuse box and ran a 12 gauge wire, with an external fuseholder with a male spade plug on it into the feed side where the fuse used to be. You can buy the holder at O'Reilly AP. Before I put the jumper in I had to wiggle the fuse to get the blower to come on.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/09/05 10:51 PM
all the fuses in the car where fine....i pulled every single one....any one else know what the problem could be? thanks for the help 2X95SEs
Posted By: 2X95SEs_dup1 Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/09/05 11:04 PM
My fuse never blew. The plastic in the holder did which pulled the metal clip away from the fuse leg.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/09/05 11:42 PM
when i pulled the fuses out, i didnt see anything unusual....when this hurricane passes me in 2 days i will go to storage and check that fuse on my car.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/12/05 07:50 PM
anyone else know what i can do?
Posted By: 2X95SEs_dup1 Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/13/05 05:58 PM
Did you ever have the recall for the fan switch done? When it fails everything is dead.
Posted By: ZetecTour Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/13/05 07:14 PM
no.....how do i find info on this....?
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/13/05 07:36 PM
Try this

http://www.internetautoguide.com/auto-recalls/67-int/1997/ford/contour/lx/
Posted By: KSandbergFL_dup1 Re: A/C electrical problem - 07/23/05 02:59 AM
Originally posted by 2X95SEs:
On mine the 30 amp fuse holder in the fusebox was half melted internally which pulled the contact leg away from the fuse.

Can you give me the fuse number (from the owner manual)? I am having similar trouble... my A/C will work fine for a day or two, then quit for a day or two... then work for a day or two, etc.etc.

I've never heard of this melting-fuse holder problem, and I have a suspicion that it's causing my problem too.

Thanks

KSandbergFL
1995 Mystique YA, V6, manual
198,500 (will be at 200K by end of August!)

Posted By: KSandbergFL_dup1 Re: A/C electrical problem - 08/04/05 04:23 PM
Took my car to a local electrical shop. Turns out the "load switch" was bad. The load switch is supposed to cut-off the A/C compressor if the psi goes below 10. I had plenty of freon and pressure, but the switch was still shutting off.

Got billed $20 for the part and $105 for the labor. Not too bad... my A/C blows cold enough to make ice cubes now - hurray!

KSandbergFL
1995 Mystique YA, V6, 5sp
199.6k miles
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: A/C electrical problem - 08/04/05 04:35 PM
Originally posted by KSandbergFL:
Took my car to a local electrical shop. Turns out the "load switch" was bad. The load switch is supposed to cut-off the A/C compressor if the psi goes below 10. I had plenty of freon and pressure, but the switch was still shutting off.

KSandbergFL
1995 Mystique YA, V6, 5sp
199.6k miles

Thanks for posting the solution. This will help us in the future when we do a search.
© CEG Archives