Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: JESCER Zetec to Duratec Swap - 04/14/02 01:59 PM
Has anyone thought about, or completed an engine swap from the 4cly to the v6. If you have what problems did you run across. If no one has why not? I am looking for some input so that I can decide what path to take the car. Thanks confused
Posted By: smoothy Re: Zetec to Duratec Swap - 04/14/02 02:15 PM
Well, for one it would be cheaper and less a PITA if you just spent your money on a engine rebuild and an addition of a turbo to the Zetec then to swap it out with the Duratec. Here are a few reasons why:
1)Changing most mounts.
2)Total redo of computer
3)Tight spaces
4)cost
5)from what i hear duratec is not as reliable an engine(correct me if im wrong)

I hope i help in a little way, i know there is a lot more to discuss, but i dont have the time to spew out everything.
Posted By: DemonSVT Re: Zetec to Duratec Swap - 04/15/02 01:05 AM
You forgot tranny too.

Zetec & Duratec have different bellhousing patterns.

Easiest, cheapest, most practical way to do it:

Sell your car, buy a car with a Duratec MTX setup.

Realistic way to do it:

Like he said.

Strengthen your Zetec and Turbo that bad boy!!!

You don't say if your's is ATX or MTX. If ATX you'd need $2k in tranny work (Level 10) to support any serious added power...

Then your best bet is to just buy an MTX car... (I abhor automatics so I am a bit biased)
Posted By: 2000V6SE Re: Zetec to Duratec Swap - 04/15/02 03:26 AM
I did the swap.

I went to a dealer and traded up to a Duratech!
Posted By: JESCER Re: Zetec to Duratec Swap - 05/04/02 06:16 PM
Thanks for the input! It's really tough watching all of the rice burners on Sat/nite, with parts from a cracker jack box. I am currently looking into both turbo and engine build up work. Crane has a cam shaft kit, $600+ though. Anyway about the atx, where should I limit the power so that I don't burn it like a match.
Posted By: wonj Re: Zetec to Duratec Swap - 05/04/02 08:12 PM
Check this out...you may want to contact this guy...

http://www.teamfocaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=011234
Posted By: DelusionalMind Re: Zetec to Duratec Swap - 05/04/02 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by smoothy1995:
Well, for one it would be cheaper and less a PITA if you just spent your money on a engine rebuild and an addition of a turbo to the Zetec then to swap it out with the Duratec.
that's what i plan on doing on mine. however, i have a question...for a stage 3 turbo, would i need a new tranny? if so, about how much $ would that run me?
© CEG Archives