Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 05:01 PM
I figured since the entire NorthEast of the country is under a blanket of snow, I thought it would be cool to make a post where everyone can post their driving tips to make it easier to drive in the snow.

Mine:

If you own an MTX, take off from a stop in 2nd gear and when you hit 2k RPM, shift into 4th and then into 5th when you hit 2K RPM again. The lack of torque will get you moving with minimal slipping of the tires.
Posted By: rouar Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 05:06 PM
There are a bunch of tips here and here and some general winter tips here ...
Posted By: MarkO_dup1 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 05:17 PM
I don't know about going to 4th or 5th. I use engine braking a lot in place of brake braking. I use 3rd a lot going downhill, or even 2nd. Keep off the brakes and use just enough gas to keep going.

The best tip of all ? Move to Phoenix.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
There are a bunch of tips here and here and some general winter tips here ...

D'oh!!!!
Posted By: skrilla187_dup1 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 06:14 PM
Get a winter beater and beat the crap outta it. My Ranger is so much fun. Whipping nuts and such.
Posted By: Russell-3L Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 06:55 PM
i drove my moms 4WD blazer last night delivering pizzas, i had no problems getting around, jsut had to go slow and careful

i did do doughnuts though

tonight i think im gonna take the 3L tour out, getting snow tires put on the factory steelies, almost wrecked in a little slush with the azenis! (i was driving it to the tire place)
Posted By: Mattyv12 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 07:49 PM
best advice my dad ever gave me in terms of winter driving was to always downshift to 2nd when the car starts to slide instead of using the brake
Posted By: Bailey Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 08:09 PM
When you want to turn a corner use the e-brake vigorously
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 10:38 PM
Keep in mind , when downshifting on snow/ice in a front-wheel-drive car , this can lead to locking up the front wheels due to "compression braking" . In a rear-wheel-drive car , this is fine , since it'll lock up the rear wheels which means you can still steer . In a front-wheel-drive car , when it locks up the front wheels , you also lose steering , and that's NOT good . You're better off pushing in the clutch & using the brakes & taking advantage of something nice that came standard on your Contour/Mystique ... ANTILOCK BRAKES .

I agree 100% with Tommy about pulling out in 2nd gear & upshifting way ahead of time .

Best tip ... BLIZZAKS !!
Posted By: red99sesport Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/06/03 10:51 PM
Your SVT may have standard abs, but for everyone else without an svt, it was an option. From what I've heard most contour and mystique owners don't have it. So, best tip: drive slow, leave long following distances, and don't slam on your brakes unless you plan to pump them.
Posted By: XKontour98 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/07/03 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Y2KMondeoSVT:
You're better off pushing in the clutch & using the brakes & taking advantage of something nice that came standard on your Contour/Mystique ... ANTILOCK BRAKES .
Best tip ... BLIZZAKS !!

Yep, no ABS on this 98Se, but do have the blizzaks!
Posted By: Mystic Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/07/03 03:45 AM
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Originally posted by Y2KMondeoSVT:
You're better off pushing in the clutch & using the brakes & taking advantage of something nice that came standard on your Contour/Mystique ... ANTILOCK BRAKES .
Best tip ... BLIZZAKS !!

Yep, no ABS on this 98Se, but do have the blizzaks!

My own experience is that ABS can actually *prolong* braking distances in a straight-line near- or zero-friction stop because the tires do *not* lock up. This has been verified in numerous independent tests. The reason is that when you lock the tires when coming to a stop, a wedge of slush/ice/snow or whatever slippery things happen to be under your tires forms on the leading edge of the tires' contact patch, helping you to reduce braking distance.

Of course the story would change in a curve, where in most cases ABS would be an advantage if you have to combine braking with turning..normally not a good idea, especially in slippery conditions. Mind you if your tires have too high of a slip angle ABS will just make it a slower trip into the ditch or a head on collision with that guy in the opposing lane of traffic. There's no substitute for smoothness. Make sure you look to where you want to go and a smooth, confident technique and incremental changes of steering angle and throttle position will get you there. Sawing the wheel will just upset the car's balance.

As has been numerously recounted, finish your braking before you turn the wheel. This goes for downshifting too. This is especially true on front-wheel drive cars where the steering and traction chores are shared by the same drive axle.

I've heard a lot of good things about Blizzaks, but must say my Finnish made Nokian WR's are an excellent choice. I have them in size 205/60HR15. They are severe winter service-rated and look pretty cool too

Nokian Tires

This is one of those things where everyone has an opinion (including me ) The reason some of the advice sound repetitive is because it's either a) true; or b) a good myth. You have to choose which is the case and only your own experience will tell you.

/Eric
Posted By: R_G Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/07/03 04:22 AM
Well, for the most part of my life, I used ro drive under the conditions like the one that recently swept the entire Northeast, and I did so from mid October to mid April, so that's my 2 cents:

General rule - try to apply brakes as less as possible. MTX - brake with lower gear. With ATX - try to simulate ABS - press the pedal intermittently several times.

MTX - start with 2nd. ATX - some cars are equipped with "W" (stands for Winter) mode, enabling to do the same. Dunno about starting ATX from 2nd - ATX's 2nd is not exactly the same 2nd

Don't think that by driving 25 miles per hour you are choosing the safest driving mode of operation, as higher the gear is - more stable your car is (of course, within the limits of common sense)

Try NOT to own a rear wheel drive - my wife has major probs driving her Merc at the weather like this

Try NOT to drive parallel to any other car in the next lane - drive ahead or behind - less chances of being hit by another car (applicable in all weather conditions)

If your car skids - NEVER try to turn the wheel in the opposite direction as your immediate reaction tells you to do - it will only increase the spin, try to wheel in the same direction and maneuvre

Try not to drive next to shoulders - the recess characteristic for many shoulders creates the prob of ice below the snow - scary shite

When there's appropriate space with no other cars - such as empty parking lot - try to abruptly brake your car a coupla times - it will give you a feel what you can expect on the road and how to prevent it

Posted By: DrGonzo_dup1 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/07/03 05:49 AM
Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:

When there's appropriate space with no other cars - such as empty parking lot - try to abruptly brake your car a coupla times - it will give you a feel what you can expect on the road and how to prevent it

Yeah, I always (when no ne else is even near me) actually stab the brakes for a second to see just how frozen the road is. DO THIS AT LOW SPEED. It will give you a good idea of what the conditions are. Just don't try this if you are a complete newbie to driving in snow or you might freak out . In that case, as said above, try it in an empty parking lot for practice, AT LOW SPEED.

Otherwise, get yourself a nice SUV with some kick-ass winter tires. And don't feel invincable, just able.
Posted By: Buddy Palumbo Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/07/03 04:24 PM
Originally posted by red99sesport:
Your SVT may have standard abs, but for everyone else without an svt, it was an option. From what I've heard most contour and mystique owners don't have it. So, best tip: drive slow, leave long following distances, and don't slam on your brakes unless you plan to pump them.

Yup , my bad ... . Should have said "something that MAY have come standard on your Contour/Mystique" . All 4 Contiques that have been in our family ('95 SE , '95 SE , 98 'Stique GS & '00 SVT) have been ABS-equipped , so I guess we're lucky .

I believe that ABS might lengthen stopping distances ... a tad , but it will be a controlled stop , whether turning or straight . If your car is not ABS-equipped , learn to pump the brakes . I still stand by my convictions (after nearly 20 years of driving experience) of not downshifting a FWD car in the snow/slop/ice unless at very low rpms . If the front end slips (and it will , whenever you're not ready for it ) , it's usually already too late to avoid the problem because you've wasted time downshifting , pushing/releasing the clutch & so-on . IMHO - if you're in a "situation" , push in the clutch & pump the brakes . Once you're in the clear , slide it into gear & continue on .
I've owned many RWD cars & they're not always bad driving in the snow , I've owned some old Volvos that have been GREAT in the snow (a '70 142E and a '68 122S , for example) , as well as my old Dodge Dart (that was virtually unstoppable too) . They just need to be equipped correctly . Weight in the back & snow tires help a LOT . Whether Blizzaks , Nokians (great tires too) ... it doesn't matter , just having a dedicated "snow tire" (i.e. - not an all season ) on all 4 corners makes all the difference . The new silicate-based tread tires (snow/ice) might feel a bit "squishey" on dry pavement , but it's a small price to pay to have much better control of your car in the slop . The difference is immeasureable , you really have to experience it to believe it .
The biggest piece of advice I , personally , can give to anyone is ... PATIENCE ! Leave early , take your time , leave room in front , LOOK AHEAD and be patient ! If you're running late for something (like work) , BIG DEAL ... you're late . At least you're not DEAD !! Arrive alive .

I didn't mean for this to be contradictory or preachy , I just feel it's important for any newbie drivers or drivers that aren't used to driving in snow & ice to hear all aspects .

Originally posted by RGSOUNDF:
If your car skids - NEVER try to turn the wheel in the opposite direction as your immediate reaction tells you to do - it will only increase the spin, try to wheel in the same direction and maneuvre

Not sure I agree at all with that statement ...
Posted By: NorMich99SE_dup1 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/08/03 03:16 PM
Best advice I can give, never trust any other vehicle on the road with you, always always watch the other guy. It only takes a second for the overconfident SUV driver to lose control and start doing ballet at 60MPH. I've seen it, scary stuff.
As for the whole ABS debate, I have a special, passionate dislike for ABS in the winter cause it scares the crap outta me as it feels worse trying to stop on a slippery road with my ABS than it does to lock the tires. This could be all in my head but on ice and whatnot (where the tires try to lock almost instantly) the system is cycling so fast there is hardly any braking being done. ABS is great on everything accept hard snow and ice. Just my little rant there.
Also, in a skid, you want to steer into the slide. Not sure if thats what the other guys was trying to say or not. Basicly, is the back of your car kicks out to the right, you want to steer to the right. The key to this skill is knowing how far to turn in, as it varies with how bad the slide is. Also remeber that when the tail comes back, momentum is going to try and take it out the other direction, in the case of my example, it will now try to kick left, be ready for it and compenate the same as before, steer into it. Some slides are unrecoverable, for those, pray for no traffic or trees and enjoy the ride ocne you realize you can't save it. I recomend large empty parking lots to learn this skill. With our cars, get going a bit and yank the e-brake to bring the back end out, release the e-brake and try and get it back udner control. You'll find it good practice, but also a whole lotta fun, lol.

I had to laugh at the don't drive a RWD in the wonter too. When looking for a winter beater I went looking for a RWD, or AWD. Now I have an 86 Fifth Avenue, lol. I can handle a RWD in the snow better than a front driver, plus backwards doughnuts just aren't as fun as regular ones! That's what I get I spose for growing up on rear drive with lots of dirt roads, snow and memories of Dukes of Hazzard.
Posted By: TommySVT_dup1 Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/08/03 03:31 PM
I have a new tip for today. Give a long safe buffer zone between you and 18 wheelers in front of you. The snow/ice on top of the trailers likes to come loose and fly off while on the highways.
Posted By: FROSTY SVT Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/08/03 03:36 PM
I agree...i'm not a big fan of abs in icey conditions...it will scare the hell outta u because u feel hardly any braking forces...where as with non-abs u can feel a slight bit of resistance with the wheels "locked"...u just betta not try to steer..i had gotten so accumstomed to driving without abs that i can almost swear that i can modulate the hell outta standard brakes...no where near 15x a second but enough to be able to steer and brake around an object..the main purpose of abs anyway...not for shortening braking distance as some want to believe
Posted By: Mystic Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/09/03 02:33 PM
Originally posted by FROSTY SVT:
I agree...i'm not a big fan of abs in icey conditions...it will scare the hell outta u because u feel hardly any braking forces...where as with non-abs u can feel a slight bit of resistance with the wheels "locked"...u just betta not try to steer..i had gotten so accumstomed to driving without abs that i can almost swear that i can modulate the hell outta standard brakes...no where near 15x a second but enough to be able to steer and brake around an object..the main purpose of abs anyway...not for shortening braking distance as some want to believe

One of the 1st mechanical mods we rally drivers do when setting up our competition cars is to disconnect the ABS

...not to mention the airbags, skid control....

/Eric
Posted By: R_G Re: Winter driving tips.... - 12/09/03 06:21 PM
Originally posted by NorMich99SE:
Best advice I can give, never trust any other vehicle on the road with you, always always watch the other guy.

Best tip ever! Seriosuly, that's what makes a difference between experienced driver and the rest...
© CEG Archives