Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Vertigo Im looking into a Contour SVT in my area - 08/02/03 11:06 AM
I havent seen the car yet, I plan to pretty soon. It is a 98 Contour SVT 80k miles, for 6k. The only problem is that the 3rd gear synchro needs to be replaced. I know this is a great price, but I was just wondering if there are any other common acompanying problems that come with this. Also any tips on what I should look out for would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: LI-SVT Re: Im looking into a Contour SVT in my area - 08/02/03 01:54 PM
If the transmission needs some fixing have the whole thing rebuilt with the newest parts. So many things have been upgrade in the trans. Make sure all parts used are post 2000. In general make sure everything works. Ask the owner if all recalls were performed, Contours had a few. Check the front and rear suspension for worn components. Some people have had premature wear of things like the front lower A-arm bushings. Good luck, the SVT Contour is a fun car. It can be some trouble, but still a great value.
Hows the clutch in the car? If your going to have the gearbox worked on, you might as well do a clutch. There are many upgraded units available, check the transmission forum for the best one for your driving style Also see if the dashboard recall was done on it by giving a dealership the VIN #, some had them completely replaces, while others got the repair kits. For 6K I'd get the car, as long as it doesn't have any death rattles and runs good Also your going to want to replace the cabin air filter, I bet the person selling it doesn't even know the car has one Welcome to the CEG
Ask about the water pump and if it ever overheated.
What's you area? I have a car that I think is in better shape than the one you are looking for not much more money. I'm near Houston, TX and car is in the CEG classifieds. Email richard@houston.rr.com if you are interested.
Too much if the tranny needs to be pulled. No more than 5k.
Originally posted by todras:
Too much if the tranny needs to be pulled. No more than 5k.

exactly. I wouldn't pay over 5k for a car that needs tranny work.
© CEG Archives