Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I found 2000 2.5 Cougar engine from a automatic car. The listing says it will only bolt up to a automatic trans because the bell housing on the manual and automatic are different. Is this true and does anyone know for certain? I dont want to buy this engine and then find out it does not bolt up to a 5 speed. Thanks
IIRC, there is NO difference between the ATX and the MTX Duratec 2.5, they bolt up the same way in the Cougar. The only caveat would be if the MTX-75 in the 'Tiques had a different housing than the one in the Coug, and I don't think that is the case. I believe you're OK, but hopefully someone with more MTX knowledge will chime in as well.
Originally posted by tasso:
I found 2000 2.5 Cougar engine from a automatic car. The listing says it will only bolt up to a automatic trans because the bell housing on the manual and automatic are different. Is this true and does anyone know for certain? I dont want to buy this engine and then find out it does not bolt up to a 5 speed. Thanks

so let me get this straight... you want to get a non 2.5L SVT engine and put it in an SVT?

I have better advice for you. There is a larger abundence of 3L duratecs out there. Whatever you are paying for this 2.5L I bet you can get a 3L for cheaper and with less miles. Check out the 3L forum here for useful information on how to install one. You will get more power, the same gas mileage and a better engine.

I am not interested in 3.0. Does anyone know if the 2000 auto cougar engine bolts to the 1999 svt trans?
are you high? more power and cheaper part.
Guys please helpme out here, I know all about the 3.0 conversion.
Check out this link and what this guy is saying on ebay. Is this true?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-MERCURY-COUGAR-2-5L-V-6-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ200009675104QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Wait, please explain the no 3L decision?

And I don't know why or how they would be different, especially since all the 3L are auto's but every 3L Contique is manual, IIRC the shortblock needs a minor bellhousing modification for the manual, but the longblock does not, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm pretty sure that the bell housing pattern is the same. You may be able to find more information on the Cougar boards. Try NECO.
The bellhousing is the SAME! The 2.5L will work, but I would highly suggest you do a 3L.
Check out this link and what this guy is saying on ebay. Is this true?

generaly i dont trust what people say on ebay
Quote:

Engine is for vehicle with automatic transmission as manual transmission vehicle uses a different bolt pattern on crankshaft.

That's not true. Can anyone think of any engine by any manufacturer where the crankshaft has to match the transmission?
© CEG Archives