Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: rouar Question about leather seats - 07/18/06 10:39 AM
Kind of relevant to Contours as well, so the question is in General forum.

Does perforated leather breathe better than non-perforated leather? I tend to sweat a bit which has been uncomfortable in my new car (particularly these past few days!). I could upgrade to the Maxima 2001 Anniversary edition seats if the answer to this question is yes.
Posted By: TBoomer Re: Question about leather seats - 07/18/06 09:18 PM
I really don't think you would notice a bit of difference.
Posted By: rouar Re: Question about leather seats - 07/18/06 11:28 PM
Darn .. I really don't want to downgrade to cloth again. I'll stick it out I suppose.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 12:09 AM
Nah, wouldn't be much of a difference. The leather itself is going to stick to you either way. They do sell things that you put under the leather in the seat, that has fans that draw heat away. Plus they have heaters built in for the winter.
Posted By: MazTour Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 02:47 AM
perforated leather wont make a difference unless you've actually got air conditioned seats. Most car seats are not real leather anyways,they are a vinyl material called naugahide which is more durable than real leather,but it'll be sticky when it gets hot,and slippery when wet. You might want to try leather seats with a suede insert,like the SRT8 seats.

Cloth is perfectly fine. I like leather for the more upscale luxury look, and it's easier to clean,but I don't like the maintenance and wear and tear it takes when they start to wrinkle and crack. Plus they get hot in the heat,and obviously cold in the cold. I had got a set of leather seats in my Mystique and they looked great,but I didn't really like them. I've had cloth in every other vehicle I've owned and wouldn't go back to leather. I've got cloth in my Contour right now,and I'm having my truck reupholstered in all suede.
Posted By: Big Jim_dup1 Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 04:40 AM
Originally posted by MazTour:
Most car seats are not real leather anyways,they are a vinyl material called naugahide which is more durable than real leather . . .

Not true.

Most "leather" equipped cars say "leather seating surfaces", and that is indeed what they are. The surfaces that face the passenger are leather, but the edges are vinyl.

On the question of does perferated leather breath better than plain leather, it does, but many may not really notice much difference. Leather is not as hot (or cold) as vinyl though.

The climate controlled seats that are available in some high end cars are really nice. The leather is perferated to allow the air to pass through. The climate control is actually a little heat pump that can heat or cool.

Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Big Jim:

The climate controlled seats that are available in some high end cars are really nice. The leather is perferated to allow the air to pass through. The climate control is actually a little heat pump that can heat or cool.

they are not just in high end cars... most of golf jetta and even focus here come with it
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 05:18 AM
I'm thinking of installing one of those in my seat.
Posted By: rouar Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 10:48 AM
I have heated seats, but am never going to use them (not even last winter). Cooled seats would certainly be nice though. I should figure out if there's a floor duct like in the Contour and just reroute it to point at the seat, lol ...
Posted By: dkusa67 Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 12:12 PM
Turning the duct up probably will do nothing due to the thick foam pad in the seat itself.

On the leather, use Lexol every 6 months. It helps prevent drying and cracking. I have a 95 SE with leather and the drivers seat still looks real good. The other seats look like new. I have three kids and believe me, it's a lot easier wiping off leather than cleaning cloth!
Posted By: m4gician Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 07:23 PM
I had got a set of leather seats in my Mystique and they looked great,but I didn't really like them. I've had cloth in every other vehicle I've owned and wouldn't go back to leather.

You had a bad experience with 'Ford' Quality. IF you sit in a leather seat in a Benz or an Acura even or a Bimmer, you'll see how well it feels and how comfortable it is compared to lets say the cheap seats in the Contique.
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 08:28 PM
Originally posted by m4gician:
I had got a set of leather seats in my Mystique and they looked great,but I didn't really like them. I've had cloth in every other vehicle I've owned and wouldn't go back to leather.

You had a bad experience with 'Ford' Quality. IF you sit in a leather seat in a Benz or an Acura even or a Bimmer, you'll see how well it feels and how comfortable it is compared to lets say the cheap seats in the Contique.

My girl hates leather because of 2 things:

• She's 5'2" ~ 100 lbs so she slides very easily when stopping

• She wears skirts and short shirts. It's either way too hot or way too cold for her
  • Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 08:36 PM
    Originally posted by Big Daddy Kane:
    My girl:

• She's 5'2" ~ 100
  • She wears skirts

• Delete this while you still can! I hear the leg humpers coming to ask for pics!

Mark
    Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Question about leather seats - 07/19/06 08:55 PM

• She wears skirts and short shirts. It's either way too hot or way too cold for her

• omghi2upix?

~Andrew
    Posted By: coatsy Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 01:18 AM
    Get a remote starter, and fire up the air before you get in. Solves the problem.. I use my Remote almost as much in the summer as winter..
    Posted By: m4gician Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 01:31 AM

• exactly like my girlfriend.
    Posted By: rouar Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 01:45 AM
    Originally posted by coatsy:
    Get a remote starter, and fire up the air before you get in. Solves the problem.. I use my Remote almost as much in the summer as winter..

lol .. doesn't work if you're nowhere near your car. I drive 52 miles to a subway garage, and then take the subway another 6 miles (45min) to my workplace. When I get back to the garage at 6PM there's a mad dash to your car to leave as quickly as possible before the other commuters leave (and even then it's still a 30 minute roadragefest to get from the garage to one stinking traffic light 1/8 mile away). No time to start the car and let it cool down before getting in.
    Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 04:14 PM
    You must work in Boston. 3 1/2 hours of commuting in a day. I find the perforated leather (my 1991 SHO and father's Avalon) is a little cooler than the nonperfed in my Mystique. After an hour though, I'd rather have cloth seats..
    Posted By: ElKy Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 04:26 PM
    i would rather leather than cloth.
    yeah teh leather is hotter at first, especially when the car has been sitting in the sun allday.
    but i have cloth in my SHO and in this hot weather with no AC, even having an all highway commute with the windows open, i end up with my back completely soaked in sweat!
    Posted By: Berkel Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 05:13 PM

• I actually love the leather in the Contour. It never seems to get extremely hot or cold unlike some other cars I've been in, and I don't slide around at all. In my friend's 96' Jeep I feel like I'm sliding all over the place and when the sun's on those seats for 10 minutes they feel like they're on fire.

Newer luxury cars also have very nice leather. After sitting in a new Audi A4 I didn't wanna get back out
    Posted By: Stevers Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 06:23 PM
    My mystique's leather seems to attract the heat all to easy, and it's grey. Compared to the leather in my GTO, the leather doesn't even come close in quality, and it's not because the car is 8 years old. I remember it being like that from day 1.

Far as I'm concerned, the leather in the mystique isn't even worthy of being on dirty shoes.
    Posted By: rouar Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 10:09 PM
    Originally posted by FavoriteMystaque:
    You must work in Boston. 3 1/2 hours of commuting in a day.

Correct .. and it's 4 hours. I've been doing apartment shopping for the past few weeks.
    Posted By: Pimpalicious316 Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 10:20 PM
    Originally posted by Rouar:

Correct .. and it's 4 hours. I've been doing apartment shopping for the past few weeks.

wtf!? 8 minutes to work, 8 minutes from work. y'all are nuts to drive that far/long!!

~Andrew
    Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: Question about leather seats - 07/20/06 10:32 PM
    Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:
    Originally posted by Rouar:

wtf!? 8 minutes to work, 8 minutes from work. y'all are nuts to drive that far/long!!

~Andrew

Eight minutes? Damn you live a long way from work. My commute is about half that! Just one more reason my '98 only has 54k on the clock.
    Posted By: rouar Re: Question about leather seats - 07/21/06 12:41 AM
    Originally posted by Pimpalicious316:

~Andrew

I didn't care for the job location, but the opportunity was too good to pass up. So I'll sacrifice my desire to be in western MA, NH or CT and live in Boston for a while until I can't stand it .. then I'll apply for a transfer to more farmland-type areas. Fidelity Investments is a big company.

This is approximately my drive into the garage (I'm not posting my exact address) and this is roughly the subway trip. I looked at another apartment in Somerville today and it looks promising, even has an offstreet parking spot (which is rare around here!). Wicked expensive though, 1-bedroom apartments here average $1100-1300/mo.

w00t for hijacking my own thread ...
    Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Question about leather seats - 07/21/06 01:53 AM
    You can own a decent home around where I live (Rochester NY) for that!
    Posted By: FavoriteMystaque Re: Question about leather seats - 07/21/06 01:57 AM
    Quote:

Far as I'm concerned, the leather in the mystique isn't even worthy of being on dirty shoes.

If it gets broken in (previous owner) and you use Lexol cleaner and the conditioner, it softens right up It is thicker than the average, although I like the unusual pleated look.
    © CEG Archives