Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: skunk_dup1 what was your worst mod? - 06/27/06 11:50 PM
What mod didn't come out the way you thought or was a wast of money.

I got a jet chip a few years back. It sucked, it did push up the shift points on the tranny, but it would come loose sometimes and the car wouldn't start and dyno run showed no hp gain at all and ran rich has hell. Jet's customer service sucked. I finally got a dyno tune.

hands down worst mod for me.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/27/06 11:51 PM
Everything done to my zetec
Posted By: elraido Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/27/06 11:56 PM
turning my engine into a venisin dehydrator. Mmmmmmm deer jerky with slight gas taste.
Posted By: rouar Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 12:04 AM
White-impeller waterpump. No clue why, but it blocked coolant flow (as you well know, skunk ) and stupid me let Ford put $1300+ worth of parts and labor trying to diagnose it before replacing the waterpump again. My fault for being dumb really.
Posted By: TGO Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 12:12 AM
i dont' have anything i really regret, although the mod that's giving me the niggest pain in the @$$ are these hid's in installed, that i got from a friend who was parting out his car. The harness keeps shorting out and one headlight flickers on and off when you hit a bump. I'm gonna try and straighten it out one more time and then i'm buying a new kit.
Posted By: Eric L_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 12:37 AM
SHO Shop Y-pipe (Off-road) added to my Bassani. Wow, even with a in-line resonator it still droned like mad.

Y-Pipe came off with resonator and went back to stock. Traded a fellow CEG'er for his mid-pipe and added my stock y-pipe back, all is well!
Posted By: WestCoastAjax Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Same.......sigh.....
Posted By: Bridge_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 01:00 AM
"Hi Output Alternator"

All the lights in the car dim at idle cause the voltage is barely at 12V
Posted By: getsum111 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 01:07 AM
OK, first off, no flaming!!!! This was done BEFORE I joined the site. I....ummmm.....well....you know...kinda replaced a stock...ummm..tranny with..well, ummm,...another stock tranny!

Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 01:08 AM
h8 the Viper alarm that was installed on my 'tour (was there when I bought it)
I'm too cheap to get it removed and no way in hell I want to eff with the wiring and remove it myself.
Posted By: Loco4G63 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 01:51 AM
Originally posted by WestCoastAjax:
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:

Same.......sigh.....

Posted By: Shaggy_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 01:53 AM
The 'bulldog box'
Posted By: MazTour Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:04 AM
A 1995 Contour Duratec.

Mods weren't bad per say,but the car was horrible. But the worst mod I did to a was a billet fuel door that never fit right.
Posted By: RawBurt Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:07 AM
Hmmmm...

Every performance mod I've ever done was a mistake... It only seemed to cause problems very shortly after doing them.
Posted By: BrApple_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:13 AM
Silverstar 893 fog lamp bulbs, they lasted all of about 20 to 30 hours of time, installed in january, didn't really driv ethe car until SZ05, one burned out in Indiana and the other about a week or so later. The color of the lights was good but they melted my fog lamps ... but maybe that was the 14 hours straight that they where on driving to SZ

I did notice that when I got stock replacement fog lamps that the GE bulbs had round tops where the Silverstar ones where pointed
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:41 AM
Originally posted by BrApple:
Silverstar 893 fog lamp bulbs, they lasted all of about 20 to 30 hours of time, installed in january, didn't really driv ethe car until SZ05, one burned out in Indiana and the other about a week or so later. The color of the lights was good but they melted my fog lamps ... but maybe that was the 14 hours straight that they where on driving to SZ

I did notice that when I got stock replacement fog lamps that the GE bulbs had round tops where the Silverstar ones where pointed

About 3 months after I bought my SVT, my first fog light burned out. When I pulled it out, I noticed right away that it was a 50W lamp.

Since I have Silverstar high/lows, I went with the Silverstar 893s (like 20 something watts) to match. Since then, I've gone through 3 sets of them with 1 currently out.

When I go to replace them, I think I'm going to upgrade the whole setup (maybe some 510 ions?)

----------

Oh, and I guess my worst mod ever was the S&H guage faces. To install them, I ended up destroying the stock faces while peeling them off. That night I noticed how crappy the white S&H faces light up, especially on the Km/h part (which is obviously just a little important on a continent that has long since embraced the metric system!)

So the fix? I had to buy a guage cluster out of the classifieds. Finally got that ordeal fixed tonight by changing my speedometer/odometer guts into the new cluster. Finally good to go!
Posted By: GTO Pete Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:43 AM
MSDS headers, uncoated
+ SHO y-pipe

then MSDS y-pipe, uncoated
Posted By: plance1_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 03:02 AM
Removing my resonator. Im deaf.
Posted By: TGO Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy:
The 'bulldog box'

ouch dude, bad memories!
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 03:11 AM
Elky mesh held in with 3 zip ties (the attaching was bad, not the mesh), and Walmart fog lights attached to a piece of wood.
Posted By: amarv12_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:16 AM
Worst mod has to be when i did the aluminum gutter guard grille like 4 years ago...i think back on it now and it looked terrible. The mesh was so weak, after however many days rocks had ripped multiple holes through it. And it was very flimsy.

Since then i went through like 5 iterations of the grille to get to where i'm finally happy.
Posted By: 111R Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:28 AM
probably cf hood and cf trunk. idk what i was thinking
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 111R:

You can't be THAT unhappy.. You're selling your stock hood and trunk and keeping the CF.

Mark
Posted By: 111R Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Originally posted by 111R:

You can't be THAT unhappy.. You're selling your stock hood and trunk and keeping the CF.

Mark

oem trunk hits against bumper and had been welded by privious owner. the oem hood is ok. i paid so little for the cf thats why i wanted to sell the oem pieces to get them out of storage and hopfully make a few bucks. i just dont like it, and now i am sorta stuck with them. i would have to say it has been the worst mod i have done.
Posted By: jtour Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:07 PM
Originally posted by amarv12:
Worst mod has to be when i did the aluminum gutter guard grille like 4 years ago

Same here, the sad thing is I still have it on there. Another bad mod was when I had hyper white turn signal bulbs. Now I have yellow not amber but yellow.

Posted By: mystiquevltwin Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:33 PM
Originally posted by amarv12:
Worst mod has to be when i did the aluminum gutter guard grille

I thought it was an awesome mod back in the day...now idk what i was thinking haha
Posted By: CSVT1214 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 02:47 PM
I don't think I regret any mod on my car at all. Only thing I can sorta say I "regret" is the Borla exhaust.
Posted By: RFcsvt Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 03:04 PM
Originally posted by getsum111:
OK, first off, no flaming!!!! This was done BEFORE I joined the site. I....ummmm.....well....you know...kinda replaced a stock...ummm..tranny with..well, ummm,...another stock tranny!

Well don't feel too bad, I did the same thing. I had the dealer replace my blown stock tranny with a brand new stock tranny and it only cost me 3K. It sucks being short of time. And now I wish I would have done what everyone recommends.

Anyways, the silverstar highs in the low beams just didn't fit right. I didn't trust the seal and the bulbs were a real pain to get in straight. I just ended up with silverstar lows in the low beams and kept the highs for the high beams. Now they are great.
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 03:21 PM
Bolt on pedal covers on my SE. The situation was rectified with the correct ones SRP CNC'd ones. Worst mod on my SVT is the farking Kevlar clutch!!!! I didn't put it in though. Dman thing makes noise no matter what. Can't back out of a parking spot w/o it making noise. Doesn't matter if it's hot or not.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 03:53 PM
LOL!! I couldn't believe that was the clutch that I was hearing. Sounded like an airhorn at the SnS when you backed up, getting ready to have some dents pulled.

Mark
Posted By: Frosty Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 04:09 PM
I also did the gutter guard mod, but i don't regret it because it was the first mod my dad and i did to the SE and the second mod overall. I do regret however, paying Ford 75 bucks to replace my heater fan resistor pack in the SE. Now if it happens again I know how to do it thanks to Pole120
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 04:18 PM
Originally posted by todras:
Bolt on pedal covers on my SE. The situation was rectified with the correct ones SRP CNC'd ones.

I have OMP bolt-ons...
Posted By: todras_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 04:35 PM
Originally posted by RogerB:

I have OMP bolt-ons...

I hope they are better than mine were.
Posted By: T-RED 98 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:00 PM
So far my worst mod has been removing the stock resonator and replacing it with a cheap "cherry bomb" glasspack. Its been on for three days and im deaf. Granted the performance gain was noticable, but so is the hearing loss.
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:00 PM
my ex girlfriend...
Posted By: Pale Horse Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:04 PM
Definitely my custom oil cooled spark plugs!
When reassembling the 3L I forgot to put the plugwell O-rings back in. Didn't realize it for quite some time..LOL! But the Taylor Wires and NGK Iridiums held up well and without misfire. I never got a code. Problem has since been rectified.
Posted By: ElKy Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:10 PM
Originally posted by JeSuS iS LoRD:
my ex girlfriend...

yeah she was a bad mod....
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:35 PM
Posted By: skunk_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

uhmmm . what the heck may I ask?
Posted By: PeppermintPatty Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 06:01 PM
Originally posted by skunk:

if you had a zetec I'd give you the "how-to" & show you the performance gains on the dyno...

you can read all about the mod here ...
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 06:48 PM
Originally posted by skunk:
Originally posted by SVZETEC:

I think that's the Dirt Pack mod, where you pack as much dirt under the hood, and see how much bakes on to the engine.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 07:40 PM
projector fogs and my rims, i dont like them anymore
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 07:47 PM
Goonz, I love those rims. They'd look so sweet on my SilFro.
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 07:50 PM
Originally posted by IRingTwyce:

i just wish they were 18's or m!key's rims
Posted By: RawBurt Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 08:04 PM
They'd look so sweet on my SilFro.

<Insert vomit smiley here>

And Yes, Mikeys rims =
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/28/06 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

i just wish they were 18's or m!key's rims

17's just like you have is exactly what I'm looking for. Let me know if you decide to upsize again. I might jus' be interested.
Posted By: Bronco_WRX Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/29/06 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
Definitely my custom oil cooled spark plugs!
When reassembling the 3L I forgot to put the plugwell O-rings back in. Didn't realize it for quite some time..LOL! But the Taylor Wires and NGK Iridiums held up well and without misfire. I never got a code. Problem has since been rectified.

Not every word is capitalized! You're starting to get lazy

Anyways, my worst mod would probably be my sidemarker lights because I tried to make them half-bright when the parking lights were on, then blink full bright for turn signals. I ended up finding a diagram with all of these weirdly rated resistors and stuff that I needed for it, and it took me forever to finally find all of them, then I never got around to wiring them up at all So basically I had the sidemarkers on my car with no lights. Other than that, my worst mod would be the '92 Cavalier in my right front fender right after I dropped over $3500 in engine mods.
Posted By: SVT3Rivieres Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/30/06 04:14 PM
my worst mod... my MAF adaptor... not the mods itself isnt bad.. just that i end up paying 92$ for it with all the brokerage fees....
Posted By: paul martin_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 06/30/06 04:32 PM
for me its not really a mod, but putting 1000$ on it getting stuff fixed and driving home and having my engine seize on me.
Posted By: morbid Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 09:36 AM
My worst mod is the "Mystery-mod". A complete waste of time... especially since I installed headers about 1 year later.
Posted By: ZeroHour Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 03:02 PM
My worst mods:
Top 3 countdown:

4) Not my hood...even though most people don't like it. lol

3) Putting the sub in my trunk that my friend told me a was a "really good" sub he didn't use any more...

2) Ebay Intake...

1) Kelly Tires... Never listen to an idoit at a tire place. Talked me out of getting Traction T/As to replace my tires because these "are just as good, but 35 dollars less a tire..."
Posted By: Derk-xB Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 03:33 PM
Pro-M MAF
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Derk-xB:
Pro-M MAF

x2

2nd worse mod.. MAF calibrator, to try and correct the Pro-M MAF. Needless to say, I went back to my stock SVT MAF and sent back the junk.

Mark
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 04:21 PM
The scary thing is how many of these "worst mods" were on my list of to-dos, but I never had time or money for them.
Posted By: Rara_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 05:03 PM
Worst mod, definately Kim . . . ooh wait, for the car, not the site . . . lol

I've actually been very selective about what I've done to my CSVT so far, keeping things very minimal (again, up to this point) but probably the worst was the pedal covers back when I first got the car. They were either OBX or KKM, I don't remember, but the attachment was so poor, and they were downright dangerous from a pedal geometry standpoint . . . they were only on the car for a couple weeks at most.

I'm just hoping I'm not making any regrettable mods right now while my car undergoes a pretty thourough overhaul, lol.
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 05:16 PM
Gutting my precats on the car. All down hill from there. Inital mod was good, but since then the car has gotten progressively worse and finally terminated this past weekend with a thrown rod or shattered piston.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Bike2112:
Gutting my precats on the car. All down hill from there. Inital mod was good, but since then the car has gotten progressively worse and finally terminated this past weekend with a thrown rod or shattered piston.

And how exactly are you tracing the blown engine to gutting the precats? Have you verified that the honeycomb material was sucked back into the motor? I'm guessing now, since you don't know if it's a thrown rod or shattered piston.

Mark
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 05:30 PM
Does it really matter? Car ran fine before the mod and shortly thereafter it started to burn oil. Then steadily more. It could have been from precat dust or something else.
Posted By: Y2KSVT Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 05:48 PM
Does it really matter?

To me, it doesn't really matter. I'm not trying to call you out. I was just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that it was the precat gutting that caused the engine to go.

It could have been from precat dust or something else.

You don't know 100% what the reason was for the motor going. I'm just questioning, because I'd hate to see a bunch of people avoid mods because someone assumed it was the cause of failure. Honestly, these motors can go, just like that. Mine went at 52k miles, with no warning signs. No oil light, no sweeping right turns, it just started knocking out of nowhere.

Mark
Posted By: Bike2112 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 06:41 PM
Agreed. Didn't mean to come off curt. The car just started to go down from that time. Still is a good mod.
Posted By: frenchblueC2_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Rara:
Worst mod, definately Kim .

gah!
sadly, I can't argue.
Sometimes I wonder why I don't lose my CI mod priveleges.
Posted By: "shotty driving"-ds Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Derk-xB:
Pro-M MAF

x2

2nd worse mod.. MAF calibrator, to try and correct the Pro-M MAF. Needless to say, I went back to my stock SVT MAF and sent back the junk.

Mark

What was wrong with the MAf?
Posted By: akrump47 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/03/06 09:51 PM
Gimmiky pilot foglights with color-changing "halos". Always burning out or not working for some reason or another.
Posted By: blu_fuz Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/04/06 02:27 PM
Worst mod... was the first mod... purple crush velvet interior... I'm so sorry, now I can't get rid of it kuz that is what I am known for...
Posted By: IRingTwyce Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/04/06 08:15 PM
Originally posted by blu_fuz:
Worst mod... was the first mod... purple crush velvet interior... I'm so sorry, now I can't get rid of it kuz that is what I am known for...

Jus' for you blu:
Posted By: JeSiZZle Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/06/06 01:42 PM
Does it really matter?

To me, it doesn't really matter. I'm not trying to call you out. I was just curious as to how you came to the conclusion that it was the precat gutting that caused the engine to go.

You don't know 100% what the reason was for the motor going. I'm just questioning, because I'd hate to see a bunch of people avoid mods because someone assumed it was the cause of failure. Honestly, these motors can go, just like that. Mine went at 52k miles, with no warning signs. No oil light, no sweeping right turns, it just started knocking out of nowhere.

Mark

my engine went after sitting in the garage for 3 days...figure that out
Posted By: RogerB_dup1 Re: what was your worst mod? - 07/06/06 04:16 PM
Originally posted by JeSuS iS LoRD:
Does it really matter?

Mark

my engine went after sitting in the garage for 3 days...figure that out

That's it. From now on, I'm leaving her on the driveway.
© CEG Archives