Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
hmm, just curious to see how many CEGer's own and still mod pre 98's, i personally enjoy the style on the pre '98 contiques the best IMO.

that's just me though..
so yeah? anybody agree? disagree? hmm, i dont care just want opinions!
Posted By: RRT_SVT Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/13/06 07:09 AM
Originally posted by white ashes006:
hmm, just curious to see how many CEGer's own and still mod pre 98's, i personally enjoy the style on the pre '98 contiques the best IMO.

that's just me though..

i like more the mystique pre 98 front end than the contour

yeah i agree, i like the 98+ better on the contours.
hi
Posted By: blakjak Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/13/06 01:54 PM
i do
Posted By: jtour Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/13/06 01:58 PM
I like the post 98 tours (not cause I have one) but becaues it looks less like an egg to me.

Posted By: blakjak Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/13/06 02:01 PM
i like the post 98s better except for the chrome ring, which i've seen can be changed.

Posted By: ElKy Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/13/06 02:02 PM
i still play with my...er..uh...never mind...
Posted By: Tony2005 Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/13/06 02:32 PM

Don't have to worry about dash warp. Have to deal with the gas cover being hard to open during winter but that's about it with the quirks of the exclusive Pre-98s.
Posted By: rouar Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/13/06 03:22 PM
There's no to very little dash warp on the 98 and 98.5's

98 remains my favorite Contique year, with 96 being a close second. However, I am not a fan of the pre98 Mystique aesthetically speaking.
Originally posted by 98 SE:
There's no to very little dash warp on the 98 and 98.5's

98 remains my favorite Contique year, with 96 being a close second. However, I am not a fan of the pre98 Mystique aesthetically speaking.

IMO the 98s were trouble-makers. A new design, with a few flaws. Perhaps, I just speak from experience b/c my mother has a 98SE that has been a nightmare compared to my trouble-free 99SE. However, I got a chance to ride in a pre-98 recently, and I must say the craftmanship is impeccable. I definitely wouldn't mind owning one.
Originally posted by white ashes006:

that's just me though..

Right Herrr

I have a new surprise coming up soon
Ive given my `96 plenty of mod time. It has been a wonderful car that I have completely loved. IMHO, the pre-98s feel more solid and not as cheaply built.

I am hoping that my new Cougar is going to be as fun as the Contour has been.
I have a Pre98 grille from a Young American edition, Its painted white from the dealer, Anybody intrested please PM me. thanks(sorry mods needs to get rid of all this stuff i still have)
Oh yes, I've been waiting for this topic...

'97 Merc owns. It has the best Zetec of the Pre98s.

I love my car, and it's faux-cowl hood.
I almost wish my dad gave me his 95 GL with 100k on the clock. I would have modded the hell out of that thing with the money I saved. But then It would prob only be as fast as my v6 right now anyway lol. Still, it would be nice to have a turbo under the hood
Originally posted by ExDelayed:
Ive given my `96 plenty of mod time. It has been a wonderful car that I have completely loved. IMHO, the pre-98s feel more solid and not as cheaply built.

I am hoping that my new Cougar is going to be as fun as the Contour has been.

as long as its not an ATX, you are in for a wounderful ride.... I drove a 2000 ATX V6, for some odd reason MUCH slower then the ATX V6 contique. I was compltely puzzled.
i do! i do!
Pre-98s have strong gearboxes and rod shifters, too. No cable snapping here.
I don't! Got rid of her to have a Taurus, which I still havn't done much to... Don't think I will
Posted By: elraido Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/15/06 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:

I thought it was just 95's that had rod shifters.
Yeah I gots one.
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
However, I got a chance to ride in a pre-98 recently, and I must say the craftmanship is impeccable. I definitely wouldn't mind owning one.

I wouldn't go that far, as some rock hard plastics, good amount of noise especially when hitting bumps and wind noise at interstate speeds, and a chassis that murders itsself every time it hits a pothole. However, I really like the look because its kinda understated (but IMO good) looking and suprises people sometimes. But it holds corners very well and aside from the above and the ATX, I love this car. One of the better vehicles for a '95 IMO and not regretting getting it by any means, very good looking and nice touches all around.
Originally posted by elraido:

nope, all pre98's...
Originally posted by AliasJerk:

nope, all pre98's...

..correct..there really arent many differences between 95-97 models..besides vac. secondaries,chrome strip on the bumpers,speedo cable on 95's only,obdI,and obdII..interior is identical,people say the seats are better in a 95...wrong,they are 100% identical
Originally posted by AliasJerk:

nope, all pre98's...

My 98 has those too
Posted By: MazTour Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/15/06 07:38 PM
I'm a pre98 guy. Converted from my first taste of the Contiques with my '98 Mystique Zetec ATX. I traded up to a '95 Contour GL Duratec MTX,and later added a '95 Contour GL Zetec MTX to the mix. The '95s are built well,designed better,have better interiors,drive better and the seats are better. I wouldn't go back to a post98 even for an SVT. My '98 was a lemon for my aunt and uncle when they owned it and after I bought it from them I didn't have any major problems with it. Then I bought my Duratec Contour and it's been a lemon since day one. My Zetec is much better,but it's in storage and I'll be fixing it up to sell it in the spring and my Duratec is getting traded in for a Cobalt SS.

If I were to do things over again,I would have gotten rid of the Mystique and never gone back to Contours. I'm on my 3rd one in 2 years and can't say I'd buy another one. As good as they are to drive,the maintenance on them is a pain and they have so many quirky little problems. My Duratec car has suffered from every single commonly mentioned 'pre98 problem'. Granted,I have almost 300 000km on it,so that's a testament to it's durability,and there's no rust on the body for an 11 year old salt-belt car. Gotta say,it's well built. Within 4 years,my Mystique was gathering rust around the rear fenders and rocker panels. My Contour is spotless (rust wise),and I haven't washed it since November!
Posted By: rouar Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/15/06 10:08 PM
Originally posted by TwoTwinTours:
My Contour is spotless (rust wise),and I haven't washed it since November!

Check the doors, just under the interior door panels.
Posted By: KyleH Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/15/06 10:48 PM
Originally posted by tour96se:
...people say the seats are better in a 95...wrong,they are 100% identical

Your mistaken. As far as cloth seats goes, the 95's and 96's are the same. But the leather seats in the '95 are much softer than the 96/97, and in the SE the bolstering was reduced compared to the 95/96 models, both cloth and leather.
Posted By: MazTour Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/15/06 11:10 PM
Originally posted by 98 SE:
My Contour is spotless (rust wise),and I haven't washed it since November!

Check the doors, just under the interior door panels.

Just had both door panels off last week to fix my speakers. Spotless.
Posted By: MazTour Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/15/06 11:16 PM
Originally posted by KyleH:

Your mistaken. As far as cloth seats goes, the 95's and 96's are the same. But the leather seats in the '95 are much softer than the 96/97, and in the SE the bolstering was reduced compared to the 95/96 models, both cloth and leather.

95 SE bolsters are huge. Like Kyle said,they were reduced in 96/97. I personally haven't been around pre98 leather,but I bought grey leather seats from a 98 Mystique and the leather was very soft and high quality. SVT bolsters are smaller than 95 SE's. SVT seats were made more for luxury/comfort,rather than sporty bolstering like the 95 SE seats.

The best car seats I have ever sat in are:
-'95 SE cloth
-'87 Celica GTS cloth
-'05 SRT-8 leather/suede.

All 3 seats are hugely bolstered,firm,yet very supportive,making them comfortable and fitting to your body and great for long drives. They aren't flat so you get uncomfortable or go numb,and they hug you so you don't slide around in the seat.
Originally posted by KyleH:

Dunno about leather, but cloth...

The 95 seats are thicker. 96 seats have a depression in the seatback so tall people fit better in the back. 95 it's just flat.
maybe the 97's are different...but the 95-96 se seat bolsters are the same!!!! i've sat in bmonjes 95se,i've obv had the 96 se seats,both leather and cloth...they are all the same...the bolsters are very big on the 96 as well,maybe brett will chime in,as he now has my leather se seats,and he could compare them..
I would say the seats are the same for pre 98s, difference comes in if they are cloth or leather.

since a picture is worth a thousand words

95 leather

95 cloth

Posted By: MazTour Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/16/06 03:09 AM
cloth pic above is a pre98 Mystique which does not have the large bolsters like the SE. I cant see the bolsters in the leather pic.

About the seatback recession or despression or whatever you call it,to increase legroom,yes,that was 97+ I beleive? My 95 seats are flat,my 98s had pockets and a recession in the back for extra legroom. not that you got much more anyways.
cloth pic above is a pre98 Mystique which does not have the large bolsters like the SE. I cant see the bolsters in the leather pic.

wow, I don't see a difference, and having driven both of those cars, one has 115k and the other 166k the seats are the same, the cloth just haven't held up as well as the leather seats in terms of keeping the original bolster shape
Posted By: MazTour Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/16/06 04:06 PM
Alright,here's the cloth seats from my '95 GL Duratec. Seats are the exact same in my Zetec. This particular seat has 296 000km on it. Pretty good shape eh? This is a regular seat,no large bolsters. I also have the fullback rear seat that does not fold down.

Here are the leather seats from my 1998 Mystique. I purchased them from a junked '98 Mystique LS. They also do not have the large bolsters. Infact,the back of the seat is very flat and not very supportive,but they were still really comfortable. It was like driving a couch,lol. Man,I miss that car. I kick myself every day for getting rid of it. These seats had the rear pockets and the recession for extra leg room. I also found that the fowards/back distance the seat travelled on the tracks was a little less than the cloth seats. Well,it would go forward so far I could push my face into the windshield,but wouldn't go far enough back to comfortably fit me at 5'9". My knees always sat too high.

And here are the seats from my Mystique,the day I toolk delivery of it. Grey cloth with blue/red/pink/grey flecks in it. Cheaper material used than in '95. I prefer the '95 seats.
About the seatback recession or despression or whatever you call it,to increase legroom,yes,that was 97+ I beleive? My 95 seats are flat,my 98s had pockets and a recession in the back for extra legroom. not that you got much more anyways.

It was changed for MY96. I had a 1996 GL (built in 95) that had the cut out front seats for tall people...

My friend's 95 GL (built in 94) had flat seats.
Hmmm. Maybe the bolstered seats were standard on the Merc, and optional on Contours before '97...kinda like the tachometer, clock.
Posted By: MazTour Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/17/06 05:43 AM
Speaking of which,my...

'95 Contour GL Zetec MTX - No tach,flat seat backs,full back rear seat. Built September '94.

'98 Mystique GS Sport ATX - tach,60/40 seats,recessed seat backs with pockets,rear dome light,12v outlet instead of cig lighter. Built August '97.
Posted By: OoTLink Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/17/06 07:02 AM

^ Our 95 mystique's interior is almost identical to those seats - 'cept the folding back seat and full power driver's seat

Looks pretty cool.
Posted By: rouar Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/17/06 12:11 PM
Speaking of which,my...

'95 Contour GL Zetec MTX - No tach,flat seat backs,full back rear seat. Built September '94.

'98 Mystique GS Sport ATX - tach,60/40 seats,recessed seat backs with pockets,rear dome light,12v outlet instead of cig lighter. Built August '97.

You just named differences between base Contours and base Mystiques .. regardless of years (except that 12v outlet bit). Mystiques always had more options to begin with.
AW MAN I WANT THOSE SEATS SOOOO BADLY!
Posted By: 04marauder pre 98 trunklid - 01/17/06 05:08 PM
I think the pre 98 trunklid is a nicer look over the post 98 with all that reflector. I'm thinking of swapping out my 98.5 SVT trunklid for a pre 98 with a lip spoiler. Anyone have a black one they'd like to let go?
Posted By: jtour Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/17/06 05:13 PM
Originally posted by 04marauder:
I think the pre 98 trunklid is a nicer look over the post 98 with all that reflector. I'm thinking of swapping out my 98.5 SVT trunklid for a pre 98 with a lip spoiler. Anyone have a black one they'd like to let go?

When I first got my Tour I didnt like the reflector but now I do like it. It has grown on me. I would say stick with the post 98 tail gate.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/18/06 02:02 AM

i do,wanna swap?
Posted By: Big Daddy Kane Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/18/06 02:37 AM

I think a 04 Marauder is cooler than both trunklids. Especially with heated seats.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/18/06 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Kane:

I think a 04 Marauder is cooler than both trunklids. Especially with heated seats.

I too think 1 car is cooler than 2 trunklids.
Posted By: The Five-Oh! Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/18/06 04:23 AM
I have a molded pre-98 for sale
Posted By: 04marauder Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/18/06 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Kane:

Heated seats rock.
Posted By: 04marauder Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/18/06 02:56 PM

i do,wanna swap?

Um, I thought you sold yours.

Alex, yours is green right? I'm looking for a black one so I wouldn't have to get it painted.
Posted By: 96 M edition Re: pre 98 trunklid - 01/19/06 01:05 AM

i do,wanna swap?

Um, I thought you sold yours.

Alex, yours is green right? I'm looking for a black one so I wouldn't have to get it painted.

maybe,waiting to hear back from csvt1214....i picked one up from the pick-n-pull....pretty nic3 shap3 t00..i'll let you know
Posted By: Sannud Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/24/06 02:41 AM
Alright,here's the cloth seats from my '95 GL Duratec. Seats are the exact same in my Zetec. This particular seat has 296 000km on it. Pretty good shape eh? This is a regular seat,no large bolsters. I also have the fullback rear seat that does not fold down.

Here are the leather seats from my 1998 Mystique. I purchased them from a junked '98 Mystique LS. They also do not have the large bolsters. Infact,the back of the seat is very flat and not very supportive,but they were still really comfortable. It was like driving a couch,lol. Man,I miss that car. I kick myself every day for getting rid of it. These seats had the rear pockets and the recession for extra leg room. I also found that the fowards/back distance the seat travelled on the tracks was a little less than the cloth seats. Well,it would go forward so far I could push my face into the windshield,but wouldn't go far enough back to comfortably fit me at 5'9". My knees always sat too high.

And here are the seats from my Mystique,the day I toolk delivery of it. Grey cloth with blue/red/pink/grey flecks in it. Cheaper material used than in '95. I prefer the '95 seats.

What do those pics have to do with your car?
*bangs table laughing*
Posted By: OB1 Re: who still plays with pre 98 contiques?? - 01/30/06 12:19 AM
*bangs table laughing*

X2
Originally posted by Mr. T:
I pity the fool that gets owned by his pic host

yeah,what exact. does the kkk have to do with the interior of your car
© CEG Archives