Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
I spent just over 4 grand last year on my contour. just keeping it running.

How much did other CEGers spend.

That expense does not include insurance.

Am I really spending too much on my car?
Not including gas, insurance, and monthly payments, I probably put well under $500 in it last year.

I bought a fuel filter oil and oil filters and tranny and power steering fluids. Oh, and a thermostat I never put on. Thats about it.
I got my 99 CSVT in december and so far I've already spent over $1500 in maintanance. Just about every common thing that breaks on this car has broken for me, so far its been a new fuel pump, new thermostat and water pump, had to replace a bolt on my tranny mount and had a couple of sensors replaced. Im just hoping I can to the point where I dont have to drop a good 300$ plus every paycheck just to keep my car running. I dont know, maybe I would be a little pissed if I didnt like my car so much but I do so I figure its gotta be worth it.
When I had my CSVT for the 13 months I had it.. I think I paid about 1000.00 total in maintenance. That includes all new pads/rotors, exhaust (although modified) oil changes, a cabin filter, K&N re-oil kit, and TPS and IAC. Not too bad of a cost, if you ask me.
Not including oil changes, I've spent $230. $65 for a spare key, $50 for warranty deductible on water pump, and $115 for P0420 fix.
$4000 for a years maintenance

Lemme guess that was for an oil change and new plugs at the dealer.

Last time I dropped $4000 in one hit on my car was for a turbo upgrade to 280hp!

I spend more money on mods than on maintenance. Then again I fix EVERYTHING, except for body work on this car.

Realistically for $4000 you could get a 3L with a rebuilt trans and quaife put into a car. What the hell did you spend $4000 on?
I spent about $6K over three years or so. Some of that was me getting raped by a dealership, some of it was performance stuff, and some was just regular mundane costs, but it's not like I paid the whole caboodle in one lump sum.
Not including oil changes (which are rather pricey themselves with Synthetic), I'm up to like $850 or so for the year. That includes new tires, new plugs/wires, new fuel pump, diagnostics for why the car wouldn't start after the new fuel pump (don't ask ), new driver's side ball joint, and an alignment. That price will go up by a bit because i also found out yesterday that one of my rear struts is blown. So i'll be up to $1000 by the end of the week (damn! I never realized it would be that much!)

" What the hell did you spend $4000 on?"

that would take some thought this year I did have some bad service issues. last year was the year when some things were done twice. Last year was the year when an axel job done poorly due to the axel nut not being put on properly the axel came out of the tranny causing fluid to leak and nearly toasting the tranny but I stopped the car in time and had to have it towed back from NJ to NY. I had my alternator changed that year and this year it had to be changed again. I had three mounts changed that year. I changed both front axels after the leak by someone else with stage 1 axels. I had my front tires replaced. I changed
my left front knuckle. I change my right front caliper. I had my 02 sensors changed....................
and so things add up.
The Contour took a $400 set of tires in September and $1000 trans work in November. Granted the $1000 was everything, clutch, trans, subframe, garage heater, but it kinda hurt.

That is my most expensive repair bill to date.
Just repairs to keep it on the road, about $300 per year - including labor & tax. Now, upgrades that I've put in, 10 times that each of 2 years I've had the car.

I put together a spreadsheet of what I've spent on mods & such because of somebodys post some months ago. I got depressed once I hit 5K so I stopped keeping track.

I'm gonna have one helluva car once all this crap gets installed...
Last year just tie rod ends and new struts from blowing out SVT struts with roush springs. And of course oil,etc. So whatever that adds up to.
average to keep it runnin, too much

~Alex
in 2 years i've replaced the tranny (2200), new wheel bearings (170), new alternator (200), new water pump (70), brake pads (40), and then pcv valve, imrc, iac valve, new gaskets for manifold rebuild, spark plugs, spark plug wires, o2 sensors, tps sensor, and I still need new tires, new rear brake calipers, new E brake cables, and a new suspension. I love ford
Little over $6K in the last 2 years

Includes mods, maintenance/repairs, and some collision damage

Already spent about $700 or so this year, and alot more coming
not much...maybe 200 250...if that..not including oil changes and brakes,tires,coolant flushes,plugs wires, those are maintanence items... and shouldnt be put under repairs...for repairs..last year all i repaired was the fuel pump....it was free and i didnt really need to change it,cause it wasnt the problem...this year so far one bearing...do the work right,with quality parts and you shouldnt have to do it every year,or two
not including oil changes or shiz ive broken from being a dumbas, about $100. just replaced the original battery
Man I feel sry for you guys and all the money you have had to spend. For me besides the normal stuff such as gas and insurance and general maintenance I have not had to spend any money on either of my tours yet *knocks on wood*
It's been almost two years, and I'm at $1914 (for both years) which includes just about everything (car washes, bad bulbs, fluids, wax, gutterguard!, everything) except gas and insuranace. Not too shabby.
95 Zetec, Feel my repairs coming in for this [censored] EGR system producing CEL's now... I hate emissions [censored].
Originally posted by ancientsanskrit:
It's been almost two years, and I'm at $1914 (for both years) which includes just about everything (car washes, bad bulbs, fluids, wax, gutterguard!, everything) except gas and insuranace. Not too shabby.

...........what do ya keep reciepts for everything???!!
wellI do have some more spending to do it seems

the next bit of money to be spent will be installing the radiator shield and the belts shield. I am thinking that my alternater went in under a year because it got wet one to many times.

I will have my steering system serviced having the fluid changed and components checked for looseness

Hopefully this will be the year when I replace my struts and springs and since the labor is the same whether I install a bat kit at 600 or a spax kit at 775 I think the extra 175 for adjustability may be worth it bedsides I may go with the eibach springs and might need the rear strut setting higher that on the front to prevent the rear end from diving down upon takeoff from stand still.

several thousand I am predicting for spending this year on the tour.
i've had my stique since '02 and can't say that i put almost any money into it... just lucky i guess...except for the theft
Originally posted by contour_phoenix_when:

hmm, i spend less than that on my new Mazda6s in a year...
I'd say close to $2,000 a year. That includes, gas, oil changes, parts & repairs, state/city registration, and insurance.
Originally posted by frenchblueC2:
I'd say close to $2,000 a year. That includes, gas, oil changes, parts & repairs, state/city registration, and insurance.

Same here...Now for mods on the other hand...

I've spent maybe 50 dollars on my SVT since last July when i got her two tail light bulbs, a bottle of coolant, new foglight bulbs and windshield washer fluid... Now my SE on the other hand i'd say 2000 or a little less, a couple water pumps, new waterpump housing, parking brake cable, thermostat, dexcool/water wetter, air filter, spark plugs, wires, battery, 4 new 02 sensors, new IAC, misc hoses, tranny flush with mobil 1/cocktail, new pre cat, UIM/LIM cleaning, throttle body cleaned, new rubber (yokohamas)... damn no wonder it's faster than my SVT... i've yet to do any maintainence on my SVT execept for mobil 1/cocktail in the tranny and oil changes plus it needs a new IMRC
So far this year, here's what it has cost to keep my 2 Contours running:

96SE = $0.089/mile ($85; nothing but gas so far this year)
98SE = $0.376/mile ($302; bulbs, K&N, CD/MP3 Player and gas)

Yes, I keep track of every vehicle-related purchase.

If it wasn't for modifications, the maintenance costs would actually be pretty small. I tend to do a lot of preventative maintenance and upgrades -- those add up fast. Last year I spent over $2100 on the 98SE (MSDS headers, SVT springs, SVT struts, Mondeo pads/rotors, etc.). I spent less than $900 on my 96SE, but the majority of that was gas, oil and vehicle registration.

I don't mind the maintenance/upgrade costs. I figure a new vehicle would cost me $300/month, so I'm coming out ahead!
My Contour cost $0.30/mile over 65,000 miles/3 years.

so about $6500 year.

That included gas, insurance, i set of brakes/rotors, 2 sets of tires, oil changes, etc.

I was reimbursed by my company at $0.38 mile for 50k miles over the same time. A total of $19,000/3 years= $6,333.00 year.

I also received 3500 from the insurance company and sold the car for $225.

So $19,500 cost
$22,725 back

I made $3,200.00 after 3 years of ownership.

What makes this work for me is that the Contour is economical to own compared to other similar size/performance cars. It hellped that I had 25 miles to the gallon average with the automatic trans and V6 with a high of 34 and a low of 15.

It's a good car.

My pickup is suffering a little because my average so far is 20MPG, but that may be offset somewhat as the irs reimbursement rate I get is now $0.455 a mile.

I think I spent somewhere nearing 400 bucks in 8 months of owning my tour.

but I blew out a tire when I slid on gravel then up a rock embankment and made a nasty bald spot on the rear. . Tours are not ment to fly! I seriously do not recommend attempting this one... That was 275 for new tires...
but they were pretty much done when it happened so I just had to get them earlier

Had to clean EGR valve out that was around 10 bucks...

Needed new wiper blades 20 bucks

blinker bulb and fog light bulb 10 bucks

cleaning supples and car wash was probably nearer to 40 bucks

Oil changes, and bottle of fuel cleaner was around 35

Thats about it for me :-)

Edit update:

Forgot I replace the OEM battery but can't complain on that one for 7 year old battery that was $65. so I am over 400
young and dumb cost me a tranny 2000+ new eng. 4000+ tires etc... thank god I bought the warranty
$6000 Over three years (Maintenance/Upgrades)

New Suspension (Bat European Handling Kit) Springs / Struts
New Exhuast (Custom Dual)
New Battery
New Alternator
New Belt
New Tires
Alignment
Tire Rotation
Link Ends
IRMC
Painted bumper
Painted sides
Painteed roof
O2 Sensors
New Intake (CTA Custom)

Not too mention Filters, Wires, Plugs, Fluids, Oil (Synthetic)

and a partridge in a pair tree
Originally posted by The1stAcekiller:
$6000 Over three years (Maintenance/Upgrades)

New Suspension (Bat European Handling Kit) Springs / Struts
New Exhuast (Custom Dual)
New Battery
New Alternator
New Belt
New Tires
Alignment
Tire Rotation
Link Ends
IRMC
Painted bumper
Painted sides
Painteed roof
O2 Sensors
New Intake (CTA Custom)

Not too mention Filters, Wires, Plugs, Fluids, Oil (Synthetic)

and a partridge in a pair tree

YOU PAID TO HAVE SOMEONE ROTATE YOUR TIRES? AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
well when its bloody cold outside.. sure.. in the summer I can do it myself.. but if I have a flat in the winter and need them rotated.. dont see anything funny there??

or is it just me paying to rotate my tires?
Grr I had to pay for a tire rotation and it erked me! They did it when I got my inspection and charged me around 9.50 because the guy who inspected my car told me it needed to be done because in his opinion the tires on the back where a little nicer then the ones in the front...I thought I was going to slap the man across the face with a freakin 2x4
I don't know....it cost more to keep her running as the mile and years add on.
Much of what I see here listed are merely regular maintenance items ie: tires, plugs/wires, struts, etc...

Outside of these items, this car has cost me a whopping zilch, nada, $0. Granted, misc. stuff has gone out such as the moonroof motor, power antenna, foglights, etc... But, the thread asked how much to keep the car running and obviously, these items aren't essential to the vehicle in moving from A to B.

I've yet to be stranded or have this car break down...and the day it starts doing it to me is the day I trade it in I don't have the time to deal w/ an unreliable car....
Ok, on both of em (not including gas...):

96 GL Zetec ATX: Well over $3000 in the 1.5yrs I drove it (owned 2 years, but 6 months of BMT/tech school it sat). A third of that was the parts/labor for the slapping timing belt/tensioners and WP just for preventive maintainance (that started leaking a couple months later ). 1.5yrs of driving and almost 50K miles later (160K on the odo) I traded it in with a knocking engine and both tranny and engine having overheating problems. Should have kept it, though. I bet I could have got it to 200K with not too much more trouble, which is more use than the $700 I got out of it.

98 SVT: $2000 in it so far in the 3.5 months I've driven it (owned 6 months). $1700 of that was the tranny.

Guess I like em too much!

EDIT: again, not counting gas, but stealing someone else's idea, the GL cost $0.06 per mile; SVT cost $0.20 per mile (10,000 miles so far I've put on it... 2 trips to Iowa and back included there)
This car, '96 SE, recently hasn't been very economical to own. In the past 3 years (owned it since '97) it has cost me roughly $4800 in repairs. O2 sensors, two different times; front wheel bearing; thermosat and water pump; intake gasket and my last repair done this week, new ATX. Sad thing is, I've still got a list of things to do. Need LF spring (broken), probably going to do a BAT European Spring/Strut Kit and tweak all 4 corners. Leaking valve cover gasket needs attention sometime in the future. Yet for some reason I keep the car around. I do enjoy driving it and the way it handles and feels. The Duratec has plenty of snorts. It still has good looks, even being 9 years old. With the $$$ I have into it, looks like it'll be around for many years to come.

'96 Contour SE ATX

'04 Mazda 6i MTX

'92 F150 XLT
Since 2/03 I have personally spent about $1000, including warranty deductible, in just repairs (not including oil filters, etc) and another $75 for a used drivers seat. However my warranty company paid:
$295 - MAF @ Dealership
$678 - Timing Belt and Tie rod @ Dealership
$218 - for passenger window channel @ Dealership
$151 - master window switch @ Dealership
$645 - wheel bearing repairs @ Dealership
$125 - temp sending unit @ Dealership
$3531 - ABS Contol Module and Diag.

Grand total $5643
Boy am I glad i paid the $1200 for the warranty
new motor...$700
new trynny..$500
new exhaust.$435
new tires...$250
keeping my car running another year...priceless
Another side of this story...

What does it cost to maintain a Contour driven a modest number of miles, just for average commuting/getting around town (so... no performance mods, or the driving that can go with them)?

My still-stock '95 GL V6 ATX only has about 67K miles on it (I still drive my '86 5.0 when the weather's nice), and the car has been remarkably reliable. So what has it cost me - since 1995 (took delivery when '96 models were already in; November '95)

- Let's just estimate normal tune-up stuff (oil changes, filter changes, etc.). I change the oil myself before 5K miles; always Mobil 1/Motorcraft filter; I'm on my 14th oil change, at probably $30 in supplies per change ($420). Throw in several transmission fluid changes (one at dealer; the rest myself - let's guess $150). Add $100 for coolant changes. Let's be generous and add $100 for other filter and fluid changes over time (air & fuel; PS fluid; bleed brakes, etc.). Yes, still original plugs and wires; they still seem to work fine (though I could use an IAC/TB cleaning right now).

- Normal wear-item replacement on this car (brakes, etc.) has been typical: Front pads at 50K; rear pads at 58K. Yup, original rotors, calipers, etc. Replaced the battery at 40K (it failed completely - without warning - and annoyingly early; but still under $100).

- Not too many repair items: My IMRC vacuum solenoid failed at 45K miles; replaced myself for about $30. I also replaced the infamous water pump at 58K (it hadn't failed, but I was worried); let's guess $75, including coolant and supplies.

Hmmm - I'm running out of things. Note that this means I'm still running the original 14" steel wheels and tires (well - one fun concession - I also have a set of 15" SE aluminum rims with summer-only tread I picked up on the CEG classifieds for $300, so the 14" tires don't have 67K on them). Admittedly, both sets of tires are near the end. I'll probably put all-season tires on the alloys and sell the steel rims.

I'm not counting a few minor body repairs (in one, the car was hit while parked). Even these haven't been a big deal.

I'm having a hard time getting to $1500 for ALMOST TEN YEARS of Contour fun (and this includes a second set of wheels and tires). I'm not even sure I've replaced any light bulbs.

I don't know - maybe I just got a good one. But in my experience, Contours are well designed, very reliable and very reasonable to maintain.
"$3531 - ABS Contol Module and Diag."

iceddodo abs costs that much to fix?

I wonder if ABS can be wired out of the braking system (turned off).
Quote:

"$3531 - ABS Contol Module and Diag."

iceddodo abs costs that much to fix?

Invoice from L&S Shell Auto Care:
$3.49 Fuse 782-1340 60 AMP for ABS and Heater Blower
$2648.93 ABS Control Module
$106.20 Master Cylinder
$2.26 Brake Fluid
$241.60 Power Brake Booster
$85 Diag
$204 Labor

I am far to fond of the ABS system to get rid of it, however the same problem came back this past winter, almost a year to the date but well over the 12,000 mile cutoff on the warranty.
"however the same problem came back this past winter"

Please describe the symptons of this abs problem
Quote:

Please describe the symptons of this abs problem

1. Pedal goes down ABS system fires up (pedal drops and groans)
2. Light comes on, one wheel locks up, and pedal kicks back up.
3. Light stays on until next driving cycle.

This is the typical sequence. If I have to do hard braking with the ABS system on, same as above except in between 2 and 3 all lights dim, until the ABS fuse blows (which also takes out the heater fan.)

I haven't had a chance to look at it or get it looked at because I'm still trying to get my charging system fixed.
Originally posted by Kappa2006:
in 2 years i've replaced the tranny (2200), new wheel bearings (170), new alternator (200), new water pump (70), brake pads (40), and then pcv valve, imrc, iac valve, new gaskets for manifold rebuild, spark plugs, spark plug wires, o2 sensors, tps sensor, and I still need new tires, new rear brake calipers, new E brake cables, and a new suspension. I love ford

Things like this are why I got rid of the SVT. I spent more on repairs in 5 years on the SVT than on my other car in 10 years.
in 2 years i've
replaced the tranny (2200),
new wheel bearings (170),
new alternator (200),
new water pump (70),
brake pads (40),
and then pcv valve($),
imrc($)
iac valve($),
new gaskets for manifold rebuild($),
spark plugs($),
spark plug wires($),
o2 sensors($),
tps sensor($),

So Kappa2006 what was that running total?

never if u truly love your car its worth every penny...i spent like 7 grand last year...over 15 grand on my car in the 5 years i owned it not including the 11 grand purchace price.....but i eventually had to give up on it Now i drive an SVT and i spent a grand on it already

Wesley
"i spent like 7 grand last year...over 15 grand on my car in the 5 years i owned it "

Curious, but what car did you spend 15K on.
"i spent like 7 grand last year...over 15 grand on my car in the 5 years i owned it "

Curious, but what car did you spend 15K on.

name a part besides the block and i think i replaces it....3 trannies 3 clutches and flywheels.....um...2 sets of 4 struts...new bumpers...oilpans...id keep riming it off but i dont have enough space...and oh yeah..its in canadian funds...and rember its 3 grand a tranny thing...so thats 9 grand right therre the car would just not stop breaking...but i loved it to much to give up

Wesley
1FASTDAD what was the year make and model of this car?
95 contour se....

Wesley
new struts on all four corners and new tires on all four corners this year so that is about $600, otherwise it is just oil and gas for the 95

same for the 99, but the money I have spent on it is for mods
"new struts on all four corners and new tires on all four corners this year so that is about $600,"

I paid 236 for just two front tire from sears plus an alignment. And the way these NYC roads are kept these days I suspect I will be purchascing new tires in the near future.
© CEG Archives