Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 06:51 AM
Or should that be crack on windshield?

It was not until I went to price a windshield for my tour ($215.00 Cdn Installed) that I learned that cracks can be repaired too.

Picture this, I let a crack go from the top right to the bottom left of the windshield in an "L" shape. Now the top right crack is going straight accross the top of the windshield to the left side!

The first dammage spread before I had time to fix the ding.

So, for all you contiques out there on crack (with cracks), know that they can be fixed if less than 3' long.
Posted By: GIT-R-DONE Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 07:27 AM
just call the insurance company and say a rock hit the windshield on teh highway, get a brand spankin new one.
Posted By: 96mercury Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 07:36 AM
Too bad I only have liabilty as I have 3 cracks on mine all from the highway. They have been there for quite a while and haven't spread at all.
Posted By: Nate'sTour Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 01:18 PM
3" long cannot be repaired as far as I know.

I think if it fits inside the diameter of a dime they can fix it.
Posted By: Dr. Cross Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 02:29 PM
Fitting inside a dime is probably a rock chip maximum, but they can fix cracks now too. My Jeep just got a crack in the window yesterday, so I took it into the glass shop to get an idea for replacement. The glass place has a before&after crack repair hanging on the wall. Although the crack was repaired and probably wouldn't spread any more, I could still see the imperfection and opted for a new windshield.
Posted By: 10mmFeeder Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 04:57 PM
Originally posted by GIT-R-DONE:
just call the insurance company and say a rock hit the windshield on teh highway, get a brand spankin new one.

Does that really help when your deductable is more that the price of the windshield?
Posted By: red99sesport Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 05:03 PM
Glass damage doesn't require a 500 deductable like other damage to the car. Usually the glass damage deductable is 50 or 100, so claiming on your insurance isn't such a dumb idea.

We had a lot of winshields replaced for 50 in Michigan through our insurance, the insurance deductable sure as hell beats out 800 for an Expedition winshield.
Posted By: TourDeForce Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 05:32 PM
Originally posted by red99sesport:
Glass damage doesn't require a 500 deductable like other damage to the car. Usually the glass damage deductable is 50 or 100, so claiming on your insurance isn't such a dumb idea.

Here in Florida I've had two windshields replaced for $0.

If you have full coverage in FL, you get free replacement glass if an object is kicked up by a truck. Not sure why, but that's the way it is.
Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 05:43 PM
Only 215!!!

My deductible is 200. A new one one has got to be more than 215 here. Well I don't know if you are including installation.

My claim is covering mine. Good thing too. My trip to Edmonton achieved 2 new cracks that have spread over 12 inches now. I'm waiting till the snow is gone.

Wait a sec. It's 18 degrees C outside
Posted By: abwamo_dup1 Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/23/05 05:56 PM
Stephen,
Where in Edmonton did you get a price of $215 because that�s almost half of what I was priced few years back.
I tried fixing the rock chip on my windshield before it started cracking, but I would have paid the $215 for a new windshield rather than take the chance on a $50 fix that didn't work.
Please let me know where you got that price from because they would definitely see my business soon, maybe try to bargain a better deal on 2 windshields if you need to replace yours too.
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 01:15 AM
I've just got the windshield replaced today. $215.00 Cdn INSTALLED plus tax.

Get this, they drove 20 minutes to my work to pick up my car, took it to get the job done and then returned it to me at work for free! That's 1hr 20 minutes of their time for free!

Yes, they can repair cracks up to 36" long.

As for the Insurance company, at least in Alberta, you need seperate coverage for windshields and I think that it would cost more in the long term to pay the premiums than what it costs to replace it after so many years. IMHO

These guys are great! If you live in Canada, check em' out if you need windshield repair/replacements.
Posted By: Kremithefrog Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 01:17 AM
There are windshield repair places like this in most cities. Back home, I know there is some that do repairs on the spot, they may even replace the windshield on the spot, I'm not sure about that though.
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Kremithefrog:
There are windshield repair places like this in most cities. Back home, I know there is some that do repairs on the spot, they may even replace the windshield on the spot, I'm not sure about that though.

You can get a 1 hour replacement but it is recomended that you go with the 3 hour replacement, (different sealant curing times).
Posted By: Goonz SVT Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 04:46 AM

I'm working on that, the worst part is that the crack for mine is in my line of sight. PLus my windshield is extremely pitted
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 04:56 AM
TONS of windsheild places will even PAY your deductable for you. Yeah, they are overpriced, but WTF do you care?! Insurance will pay for it. Tons of palces will be willing to pay 50 or 100 to sells or 400-2000 windesheild. ($2160 for a windsheild on an 04 Bonneville GXP with the heads-up display and radio antenea bult in.
Posted By: sail114 Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Goonz SVT:

I'm working on that, the worst part is that the crack for mine is in my line of sight. PLus my windshield is extremely pitted

Dude, I think 'extremely pitted' is an understatement! J/K

Seriously though,
For those of you who are getting theirs replaced, try to go with OEM Ford glass. My insurance authorizes a new windshield every year. When I got the original glass replaced at 60k, the place came to my house and did the windshield right here. They installed Pilkinton Glass... I would highly recommend against this for the Contour, as the shape was not exact and I had problems with my wipers as a result (hopping, dragging, and making a racket on the glass). Due to this, I went and got another replacement in November. This time I brought the car to the shop and had them do it there. Also, they were able to get me OEM Ford glass, which in my opinion is much better then the aftermarket windshields. Just make sure they order a new seal for the upper part of the glass... they tried to use my original at firt, and it was all wavy and didn't seat to the roof. Had to take it back to have the seal re-set.

Posted By: Cris'pus Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 04:22 PM
Would you recommend going to the stealership to replace? Or just ask a good shop to get OEM glass?
Posted By: Tuned3900SFI Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 04:28 PM
OEM glass is OEM glass.. it will cost you the same where ever you go. I personally would take it to the stealership and have it done there.
Posted By: sail114 Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Cris'pus:
Would you recommend going to the stealership to replace? Or just ask a good shop to get OEM glass?

OEM glass is OEM glass, but I'd honestly have a glass shop do the replacement for me. I think a dealership would have to contract out for that anyway, so why not go to guys who do just that all day long?

-That's my opinion anyway.
Posted By: DanburySE Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/24/05 11:34 PM
that is illegal. my girlfriend's ex was pulled over for a cracked windshield and then they noticed a problem with his registration and it turned into a big hassle. a cracked windshield is a ticketable offense i believe
Posted By: Stephen_dup1 Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/25/05 12:38 AM
OEM = PPG Glass. Make sure it is PPG glass and you are set.
Posted By: Matt R_dup1 Re: Windshield on Crack! - 02/25/05 01:12 AM
My insurance in NYS has free glass replacement, and we pay $3 every 6 months for that. Damn good deal IMO.
© CEG Archives