Contour Enthusiasts Group Archives
Posted By: slingersvt Look at all the Contour SVT's on ebay!!! - 01/18/05 01:23 AM
I just wanted to comment on all the CSVT's that are on ebay.......I've been watching like 7 of them....three have gone for $2K-$3K but the reserve wasn't meant.......interesting....do you guys think they are asking too much?? Don't include the "fastest ever contour" (yeah right) in your replies. Looking forward to your thoughts.
A car is worth whatever someone will pay for it, assuming adequate exposure to the market. I figure ebay is pretty decent exposure. On the other hand, if I'm bidding on something on ebay, I usually bid less than I would if I could see it in person, check it out, test drive it, etc. The uncertainty factor for a used car is worth about $1000 or so to me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4519742797&category=31832

look at this tour....

any insight? this tour is awsome.... im thinking of jumping back on the tour band wagon.... can anyone run a car fax on it? can anyone tell anything from the pictures other then the it looks awsome? and that i want it?
can anyone get a carfax report?
Posted By: JB1 Re: Look at all the Contour SVT's on ebay!!! - 01/18/05 04:19 AM
that one is way over priced. if i get around to it later i will find some of the many threads we had about that car.
On most Ebay auctions, sellers want way too much and buyers want the cars for $1.00.

Most Contours there with a reserve don't seem to sell. If there is no reserve, then they have 20 some bids. But the 'winner' gets it for $500-$1999.
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Look at all the Contour SVT's on ebay!!! - 01/18/05 06:55 AM
Originally posted by my csvt:
that one is way over priced. if i get around to it later i will find some of the many threads we had about that car.

Here it is. The car is beautiful but $$$$$$$. Course I paid 9 1/2K about 2 years ago for mine and it was stock. I suppose for everything that's done to it, on paper, it's worth it. I'd just have a very difficult time paying that much for that car.
Not to sound like a prick, but where? I only currently see two up, including the "fastest Contour ever", and if someone thinks I'm dropping 18 g's for someone else's race car, they're outta their frickin mind. I'm looking pretty frequently on ebay, as well as the classifieds here and pretty much everywhere else . . . I was actually pretty pissed, a black '98 with 78k miles went for a little over two dimes late last week, but I have too much going on right now to pull it all together.
Well, I just won the bid on a 2000 black SVT out of Texas. 104K miles, but for $4300 I will join your little club.

Anyone trade this in at a Mazda dealer in the Austin area recently?
Originally posted by Y2K-SVT:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4519742797&category=31832

look at this tour....

any insight? this tour is awsome.... im thinking of jumping back on the tour band wagon.... can anyone run a car fax on it? can anyone tell anything from the pictures other then the it looks awsome? and that i want it?

I ran a carfax on this the last time it was on ebay. It came up clean but there was no history. I guess that is consistent with a car that was never driven.

With regard to the original question, as somone who has been looking I can tell you that the market for contours is crap.

I can buy an SVT for less that a similar age/miles Taurus. A Jetta will cost over twice as much and a BMW 4 times. While this is bad news for those wishing to sell their tours, it is very good for the buyer!

People just have to get to the point where their expectation meets the market, or they just trade it in and walk away.

sell the tour no
I will just keep it running

Here you go.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/UUCP_ViewReport.cfm?VIN=1FAFP68G6YK135516&Email=PUDSTANG%40JUNO%2ECOM&SID=%2F%23L%27%23RR%5C2%23%2EZJU%5FK%2E1%2C>%2F%0A&PopUpStatus=0&usage_type=FSBO&CFX_ID=CFX000008080505
Speaking of what cars are worth, I wonder what a 98.5 CSVT with only 48k on it, minus the engine but otherwise mint, would go for. I figure not much but since this is what I have I'm considering what the cost comparisons are between keeping it and dumping time and money into it versus letting it go as is, if anyone would be seriously interested. It seems like getting another engine, like a 3.0l, would probably cost around 3k installed. Whereas who knows what I might get for it now.
I saw one with a rod knock go on ebay for $1200, but the engine was still there and complete. What happened to yours?
Originally posted by SonofSHO:
I saw one with a rod knock go on ebay for $1200, but the engine was still there and complete. What happened to yours?

Actually, my engine is also still intact and complete. When I said minus the engine, I really meant that it was shot. I also have a rod knock. Going to be tearing it down this week to see what happened.
Newman got his with a blown motor for $500.
2000 Ford Contour orignal owner 43,000 miles 2 hours left and still only $4,300. That seems very interesting, though I didn't run a carfax.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7947472995&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWN%3AMT%3A1

VIN # is 1FAFP68G2YK114663
Posted By: wa2tuff Re: Look at all the Contour SVT's on ebay!!! - 01/19/05 06:59 PM
Originally posted by SVTDarin:

Here you go.

http://www.carfax.com/cfm/UUCP_ViewReport.cfm?VIN=1FAFP68G6YK135516&Email=PUDSTANG%40JUNO%2ECOM&SID=%2F%23L%27%23RR%5C2%23%2EZJU%5FK%2E1%2C>%2F%0A&PopUpStatus=0&usage_type=FSBO&CFX_ID=CFX000008080505

Session expired. Requires a password.
Originally posted by 975Altima:
On most Ebay auctions, sellers want way too much and buyers want the cars for $1.00.

Most Contours there with a reserve don't seem to sell. If there is no reserve, then they have 20 some bids. But the 'winner' gets it for $500-$1999.

Thats what happened with the 2000 contour svt with 43,000 miles in Alabama. Bidding went to 6,300 with reserve not being met when the auction ended.
Originally posted by wa2tuff:
Originally posted by SVTDarin:

Here you go.

Session expired. Requires a password.

I don't know how else to post it.

If someone is serious about buying a Contour and needs a Carfax pm me with a vin and I will copy - paste the report in my reply. I think I have about 1 week left on my unlimited carfaxes.
I sold my car to a CEG member for $700 more than a Carfax offer. I didn't expect to get Blue Book, and the other Contours on AutoTrader near me are sitting.

I highly doubt I would have gotten more $$, and the buyers gave me a deal on rims/tires before, so I took the offer.
© CEG Archives