• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Yea, so my timing belt is on its last legs I think...

Lord Stanley

Hard-core CEG'er
It is getting loose enough that it is hitting the side of the lower timing belt cover when the engine is cold, which never happened before... Even with this warmer weather it is still making noise with a cold engine, when before it never used to do it unless it was below freezing (and even then it would only barely tap the top cover)...

So, I guess I have two options, because there is no way I can do this by myself (I do not have the tools or the know-how)... Option one is to find a good mechanic in the area... Does anyone know of any mechanics in the southern NH area that actually know their way around a Contour, so there may actually be a chance that they do the job right?

Then option two would to have a mini CEG meet I guess... If anyone who has changed a Zetec timing belt before would like to help me, that would be great! Like I said, I have no tools or anything, so I would drive to you... I do not know how much I would be able to help though; it seems that I am always the one stuck holding the light :ponder:

So what do you guys think?

Mike and Kim would recommend Holtz auto in Merrimack NH. They took their '95 GL there for work. I got my SVT inspected there, Andy is very good and straightforward.

If you're good for a drive, highly recommend you PM Brapple or Aircougar.

its been some time since I have changed one, and when I did I was working with my father to get it done.

between greg and myself it will not be an issue.

make sure you get the kit so that all the pullies can be changed. also get a valve cover gasket.

Oh shiat I didn't see you had a 95. Chain driven non vct, very early zetec. Also do you live in Derry?

PS: The contour I did I bought (for this girl). Fixed up it, sold it to her and she totalled it! gr

Maybe ask Jeremy, jd2-98s. He's done 3 or 4 now I believe, including mine. Mine was doing the exact same thing/noise yours is.

I will be changing the timing belt next friday... and Brian might be coming up to the garage to help...

Funny thing is I have to do another one THIS weekend. It just came up last night! So I get to do this one for a 98 Zetec contour, and then Bosox's next friday... :)

Sometime between 10am and 4pm... :)

I am working on a zetec timing belt now, and taking my time I got down to the belt in just over an hour... just have to pull the water pump pulley off and I should be able to swap in the new belt.

the 95 contour should be much easier i would think... but it will be my second time in a week, so it should go faster, too...

Sometime between 10am and 4pm... :)

I am working on a zetec timing belt now, and taking my time I got down to the belt in just over an hour... just have to pull the water pump pulley off and I should be able to swap in the new belt.

the 95 contour should be much easier i would think... but it will be my second time in a week, so it should go faster, too...

No VCT to deal with. Not sure if you remember mine or not Greg, but I remember it was pretty easy.

No VCT to deal with. Not sure if you remember mine or not Greg, but I remember it was pretty easy.

Yeah, I couldn't remember if I did the belt on it or just the water pump...

This one with the VCT is a pain in the arse, because I wasn't given a new tensioner with the belt... the tensioner is crap and won't hold the needed tension on the belt to save its soul... 3/4 revolution and its fine, but that last 1/4 turn and it loosens up enough that I can tension the belt by pushing on it with one finger...

I was able to order just the tensoiner from Autozone for $40.00 and it takes 2 days to get here... at least we didn't have to buy the whole kit (even though the owner should have).

Well, everything went very smooth... ted showed up @ 11am, and was on his way home @ 12:35pm!

1.5 hrs to do the Timing belt kit from start to finish... easier than the VCT that's for sure!

I did not even have him look at it... Since the car still rides fine it is not exactly near the top of my list... I have to do the wheel bearing first, and I am also going to need new tires soon and maybe even brakes too... And of course my roll resistors are completely shot, ugh :rolleyes:

Everything went great though... I could not believe how fast Greg got the belt changed; he got the timing right the first time too... The bearings in the tensioner and pullies were starting to go, and one of them even rattled... Now I will not have to listen to that awful sound every time I start the car with a cold engine :cool:

PS: 1,000+ posts!

Back