• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

window not moving..sort of...

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
I have a SVT with 252K miles on it. Its been an awesome car. In the last month, the passenger side window has been working on and off. It wouldnt work from either the passenger button or the driver button; however sometimes if I cycled the locks it would work for a bit. Tonight, it stopped working all together. So, I tore off the door panel, and swapped out the switch with the rear door, and that didnt do anything. I kept cycling the switch after pulling on the window up and down, and finally the window started working. The power lines seem to be in good condition and I could wiggle the window a bit, so it wasnt locked in place.

So, the motor appears to be working and the power lines appear to be good. Could this be a case of needing to lube the window tracks ? If I had more time and room in the garage, I would like to remove the door and tear it down and rebuild it.

thnaks,

Tom

If you’re swapping in a known good switch and still having an intermittent problem, that tells me your window motor is shot. You’ve done your process of elimination with the switch and verifying wiring is in good order, so the only part left to be faulty is the window motor. After 250k miles I would certainly expect a part like that to be worn out. A quick check on Rock Auto shows them in stock for as little as $31 CDN.

Mine on my Taurus, was giving me trouble one day, & won't got up , on day it was going to rain all night. So i stop at a body shop friend on the way home from work .
He bang on the door panel with his fist about where the motor is located, and started working again. He said it happens all the time, the motor is brushless & sometime
just sitting in 1 spot for a long time, cause it to get cranky & stop. It worked for years after that, til i got rid of it. I replaced the window motor on my SVT, it's easy,
as a bang on the door panel didn't work , LOL

OK, I got the passenger window working, all I had to do was lube the track a bit.

Now the driver side doesnt work.....

I wrestled the window off the track guide, and the motor works a bit, but not very far in either direction. The isnt much of a load on the motor with the window off, so Im not sure what the problem is.

I never new that the motor turned something like a wire pulley system, I always assumed it was a gear in a toothed track or something. Looking at some pictures of parts for sale, I guess that is something to do with the mechanical wire pulley and not necessarily the motor. Is there any sort of adjustment I can do, or should I just punt and replace the whole thing ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

EDIT: further searching seems to indicate the replacements is not too bad...any gotchas people have run into ?

Last edited:
Also watch the window track inside the door doesn’t get bent or twisted. If you have issues with the glass falling out of the track or when you roll it up it gets stuck and you have to guide it up, that could be your issue.

When I painted my car I had removed the window track, which is one big piece of trim and a pain to remove and reinstall. I bent the front front of it when reinstalling, causing the glass to fall out of the track when rolling the window down. When rolling up I would have to push the glass back into the track towards the rear of the door and help it up. Once I took the door panel off and watched the glass travel, I could see where it was falling out of the track. Bent it back into place and was good as new. Only had that issue on the driver door, all the others were fine.

Back