• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

When Do I fish or Cut Bait ?

MadDog

Veteran CEG'er
I bought a 2000 CSVT on June 18, 2000. I now have 252K miles on it. Its been a great car, with relatively few repairs needed so far. 2 fuel pumps, the antenna, and the alternator. Not bad for 22 years.

The car still runs pretty well. However there are lots of little things that need to be fixed. The paint is shot. The leather on the rear seats is cracking. I had some window troubles and the clutch has to be pretty worn down. The power steering pump is slowly leaking. The AC is not working great. You get the idea.

At some point I will have to decide to let it go when it dies, or go for rebuilding it. I already rebuilt the dash and replaced most of the suspension. But I would have to pull the engine and replace it along with all the fixings such as the power steering pump and alternator, etc. Im not a Blu-Fuz or a CSVT-49. I might be able to get my wife to give up half the garage, but that still leaves a skill gap.

Am I kidding myself ? I got my moneys worth out of this car and then some, and I love to fix things, but I have to be honest with myself wondering if I could ever finish a project like this.

thanks,

Tom

I have done tons of car work over decades, engines, trans, paint work. The question is why would you do all this work for a car that is so high miles?
Then there is the same old car you always had, maybe you should get something different that does not need so much work. Is there any other kind of vehicle you might like to realistically own? I have an old 1994 Buick Roadmaster wagon sitting on the driveway, I replaced it with a 1996 Trooper 4x4 and a 2005 Ram diesel 4x4 4 door pickup truck. Even though the Buick works mechanically great, it has some issues, as in paint, old, got some dents, and a few interior switch light issues, and I feel less inclined to work on as time goes by.

I told my wife who inherited her 1998 Contour SE, if it broke down with major engine or trans problems, I was not going to fix it. Shes has 110,000 miles on it, but it is looking old, the paint etc...

Well, I do like the car. its fun to drive. Great cabin visibility. Lets face it, who wants to buy a new car now, and even used cars are crazy expensive. We have 3 drivers in the family (now, soon to be 4) so a third car helps a lot.

I know nostalgia is part of this, but I wouldnt mind learning how to do a rehaul. On the other hand, Im not made of time, space or money.

thanks,

Tom

When I shattered a piston (the second time) a few years back and was facing a $7k+ rebuild everyone said I was crazy. I told them find me another car as fun to drive and in as good of condition (other than the engine) for anywhere near $7k. Given yours doesn't sound like it's interior or exterior is in particularly great shape, but could be worth a respray and a Mexican blanket over the back seat. ; )

Well if you've got 250K out of the old girl, you've taken her of it, mechanically at the very least , & still enjoy drive it, then drive
it til it breaks. Instead now, just use it as a weekend car, and limit the regular driving. That's what i've been doing with my 98,
it's always nice to have a back up car as i call it.

Back