• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Welp, 3L time...

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
Hi all, been gone a long time, CSVT has not been driven much in the last year and a half but its time to get it going again. Love the car, just have not had the time for it at all... Anyway my issue with it right now is that the VSS shaft sheared off in the transmission and there is 0 way to get it out. The pin that holds the VSS assembly in the transmission is not coming out, I've tried everything short of drilling it out which will be the next step. That, however, requires the rear header to come off which means that I might as well do both headers which means I'm going to pull the motor as it is faster than doing the headers with the motor in. THIS means that if I'm going to pull out the 2.5L I might as well put a 3.0L back in lol. Yeah, logic...

Anyway, just in the R&D stage right now, trying to decide if I want a Hybrid or Port Matched (NPG adapter) or Full oval port. Also whether I want to drop the money on a Torsen/do I need a Torsen or not. I am not going to boost this motor so a Hybrid would not be out... and there is nothing wrong with my 2.5L so all the parts would go right on. I don't really care about keeping the SVT intake honestly and I like the option of the ST220 intake on the full 3L... Really want the fastest/easiest/least headaches swap. Probably means not cracking the heads for a Hybrid but who knows. I have a garage full of tools, a hoist, the shop manual on CD and I've done engine pulls before on Mustangs so this should not be too complicated hopefully.

Also been gone so long I forget half the stuff I used to know... ton of searching and research today. Debating between a Hybrid with 3L valves or a full 3L with a ST220 intake and my SVT cams swapped in... Knowledge is starting to come back...

I'm also amazed at how much new stuff has gone on in a year especially the recent 250whp all motor stock internal 3L... if that thing can hook up that might hit 13s...

a full 3L is prety simple. the only things you need to fab up, is the vacumm line, which is super easy just buy some tubes and hook them up. and a tb bracket. youl need to weld it up its a little more difficult, but definatly doable.
a portmatched with the npg lim would definattly be easier, but you dont have to throw the couple hundred bucks at it. plus i beleive the svt uim is too restrictive for the 3l.

if i were you. full 3L with st220 and 65mm tb. headers, true dual exhaust. short ram or cold air, and a dyno tune. also an lsd will do wonders!

throwing that couple hundred into a 65mm tb and an st220 uim will get you more power then a portmatched

how would a larger tb and a larger intake manifold not get you more hp? you guys are full of it when u say it isnt. larger is better, too a piont. and what i listed isnt too much

read manimillion's thread. he just dynoed 253 hp.

As with most things, the exception doesn't define the rule and I think at this point it's safe to say Manimillion is still currently an exception. If three or four people had similar or the exact setup as him and were all pulling the same numbers, I think we could say that that hybrid combo would be the best option.

i will beleive u if you show me at least one person with his setup. typically yes. all 3l's are around the same hp lvl, but more air is still better if you use it right. only a stupid highschool kid would downgrade a tb or intake mani because "it gains hp". lol

Lol. I totally agree. I will admit I'm partial to the port-matched setup and I think with a properly opened up SVT UIM/LIM combo, larger TB, and of course a good tune, numbers like the ones Manimillion posted can be achieved. But that's just my hypothesis. I completely agree with larger intake manifold and throttle body netting you good gains, but they will also need to be supported on the exhaust side as well with headers and a freer flowing exhaust.

... thus i said true duals exhaust.
also next time i redo my exhaust its either gonna be true duels. or 2.75 inch. because that whats recommended for 250ish hp

i will beleive u if you show me at least one person with his setup. typically yes. all 3l's are around the same hp lvl, but more air is still better if you use it right. only a stupid highschool kid would downgrade a tb or intake mani because "it gains hp". lol

Remember, it isn't all volume, it is also velocity of the air. By moving more air, you can also increase the total volume.

Yikes, did not mean to start another "which is better" war. I like the higher compression of the Hybrid with the 3L valves, but it is also my opinion that the SVT intake is somewhat restrictive. I come from Mustangland where the stock 5.0 engines (the old windsors not the new omfgwtfbbq ridiculous 5.0s) were so restrictive that it was pretty much impossible to go too big until you stepped up to stroker sized parts... even then. so maybe that makes me a little biased, I do realize that TOO big will lose torque and make the vehicle a dog off the line. Does not seem like that is the case with Manimillion's car though, that post really got me thinking hard about what I'd want from my combo. Basically what he has, a stock internal NA motor making the most possible power, great on the street, great on gas if you go easy on it (my 2.5 got 28mpg hand calculated last time I used it regularly as a commuter and I was not easy on it) and really fun to drive which is what I remember about my CSVT the most when it was my daily. I actually had more fun driving it than my Cobra I think. Sure the Cobra would press me into my seat off the line but it couldn't turn worth a damn and I had a lot of fun with exit ramps and winding roads with the Contour.

One thing I did learn from my factory CD, it looks like pulling the motor out enough to swap the headers and then dropping it back in is a morning/afternoon job if you plan ahead. Read some threads on here where experienced guys had the motor out in 45 minutes flat... not saying I'll even come close to doing that in 2 or 3x that time lol. My 2.5L is running great now, I may just pull it out, leave it hanging on the hoist, swap the headers, drill out that goddam pin in the transmission and replace it with something that I can get out easily next time. I just hope that green gear is still OK, if it isn't I'm learning I'll have a hell of a time finding a replacement...

Back