• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Waterpump...

tranceworld

CEG'er
We can get the pump out of the engine, but cannot get the pump out of the engine compartment, we tried wiggle and jiggle but can't make it fit to get it out... please help car is in the air as we speak.

Instructions per Autozone.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/c4/af/0900823d801bc4af.jsp

and per Pre98zetec, "the water pumps a PITA to get out, you will have the jack the motor out and take the coolant tank out to get it out, also have fun with the pin that hold the coolant hose onto the waterpump"

the autozone site does not really help. is the only way to get this out is to remove the crankshaft pulley?..... like i said, it is out of the engine, just not out of the compartment. it is just sitting stuck in there.

the autozone site does not really help. is the only way to get this out is to remove the crankshaft pulley?..... like i said, it is out of the engine, just not out of the compartment. it is just sitting stuck in there.

Did you even read and follow the instructions on the Autozone site?

After raising the engine a little,

"Remove the upper front engine support bracket retainer nuts, the bracket and the upper front engine support insulator.

If equipped, remove the wiring harness connector from the low coolant level sensor at the radiator coolant recovery reservoir.

Remove the radiator coolant recovery reservoir retainers and move the reservoir aside.

Remove the upper front engine support insulator.

Set the coolant recovery reservoir back into position temporarily.

Loosen the water pump pulley retaining bolts. Do not remove the bolts completely.

Remove the accessory drive belt.

Remove the drive belt idler pulley retaining bolt and pulley from the alternator mounting bracket.

Finish removing the water pump retaining bolts and remove the water pump pulley."

Did you even read and follow the instructions on the Autozone site?

After raising the engine a little,

"Remove the upper front engine support bracket retainer nuts, the bracket and the upper front engine support insulator.

If equipped, remove the wiring harness connector from the low coolant level sensor at the radiator coolant recovery reservoir.

Remove the radiator coolant recovery reservoir retainers and move the reservoir aside.

Remove the upper front engine support insulator.

Set the coolant recovery reservoir back into position temporarily.

Loosen the water pump pulley retaining bolts. Do not remove the bolts completely.

Remove the accessory drive belt.

Remove the drive belt idler pulley retaining bolt and pulley from the alternator mounting bracket.

Finish removing the water pump retaining bolts and remove the water pump pulley."

did you read the site you gave me? where on the site does it say anything about raising the engine? what about the wiring harness on the page you gave me? Don't ridicule me. It was a simple question. is removing the cam shaft pulley, (stated from ford cd-rom manual) the only way to do it? or was there an easier way?

did you read the site you gave me? where on the site does it say anything about raising the engine? what about the wiring harness on the page you gave me? Don't ridicule me. It was a simple question. is removing the cam shaft pulley, (stated from ford cd-rom manual) the only way to do it? or was there an easier way?
Yes, I did read the instructions. I am not ridiculing you. Just pointing out that you did not read and follow the instructions in the site, especially the part which states to follow the timing belt removal procedure. That was where I got the previously posted procedure.

Also on a few posts up,
....and per Pre98zetec, "the water pumps a PITA to get out, you will have the jack the motor out and take the coolant tank out to get it out, also have fun with the pin that hold the coolant hose onto the waterpump"

I am done with this thread.

Last edited:
The waterpump is hard to get out i just did one on the same car. It seems like alot of people think the water pump is in with the timing belt but it is in with the serpintine. We got it out without removing the pully. It came out kind of like a puzle threw the bottom it just took a little work to get it out.Think we may have even use something to bend the pully or whatever it was in the way to get it out just be sure not to damage anything by overdoing it lol.

The waterpump is hard to get out i just did one on the same car. It seems like alot of people think the water pump is in with the timing belt but it is in with the serpintine. We got it out without removing the pully. It came out kind of like a puzle threw the bottom it just took a little work to get it out.Think we may have even use something to bend the pully or whatever it was in the way to get it out just be sure not to damage anything by overdoing it lol.

for a pre98 zetec the timing belt runs in front of the water pump and needs to be removed to get to the water pump ...

yes the water pump is driven by the serpintine belt ...

for a pre98 zetec the timing belt runs in front of the water pump and needs to be removed to get to the water pump ...

yes the water pump is driven by the serpintine belt ...

its cake, just took off the cam shaft pulley, comes right out, didn't have to do anything with the timing belt cover, getting ready to fill it up and test it out.

ON a further note, I apologize if I offended you. I was told one thing and shown another.

How did the job come out?
well the propeller was undamaged, it was leaking from the shaft. So i didnt' have the nightmare of trying to find all the pieces. Its a quick job if you know how to go about it (now I do). Got the coolant flushed and back in and took it for a test drive, everything seems to be in good working order. I'll just have to keep an eye on the level for a little bit to make sure.

Back