• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Washing your car

tredsvt98

Veteran CEG'er
Best thing to wash your car with....hand held sheepskin wash mitt.
i recommend starting with a foam gun to release alot of the dirt without you having to use a mitt and then go on with your wash. You want to pick out a good shampoo for your car. if you are planning on starting from scratch and put brand new layer of wax on your car or you want to claybar the car or do some paint correction use dawn dish soap to strip the current wax/sealant on your car (if you have tar or bugs still on the car use a bug and tar remover before claying/waxing/polishing) you will be down to the factory clear coat with no protection so at least put a layer of wax on your car after your final wash (if you are claying your car do not forget to clay the windows too because the same crap that was on your paint will also be on your windows). Now that you have a "fresh canvas" it's time to wash the car using a quality car shampoo there are many to choose from autogeek and chemical guys have some great shampoos, there are also some very good over the counter shampoos like meguiars gold class shampoo and conditioner and meguiars nxt generation car wash.(Always use the 2 bucket method...1 for soap and water and 1 for rinsing) put a grit guard in both buckets to continually clean your mashmits. I personally use 4 buckets and cut the car in half using one soap one rinse bucket per side. change out your wash mitts regularly. I go through at least 4. changing the wash mitts and water out regularly leaves less chance for dirt/rocks/grim getting stuck in the mitt and dragging all across your cars surface. When spraying the car do not use a heavy concentrated stream use a very gentle stream heavy streams like powerwashers or the "jet" from your nozzle are hard on your paint and can induce swirls and even chip the paint. Make sure you use a rubber firehose nozzle so you don't accidently bump your car with a metal nozzle.

Best thing to dry the car with....compressed air. To make car drying easier when you have washed the car take the nozzle off and just use a flooding method and let the car sit for a minute, doing this will flood most of the water off to make drying waaaaay easier. DO NOT use a towel unless you have to. If compressed air is not available you can use a micro fiber waffle weave and blot the car. I recommend the cobra supreme guzzler waffle weave http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html

Best thing to clean windows with....newspaper and some foam glass cleaner-although any glass cleaner will do. 50/50 water and alcohol will also make a streak free homemade glass cleaner. Newspaper doesn't streak or leave little white dust particles

Best thing to get bugs off windshield....a piece of steel wool (not brillo pad) in one hand with wash mitt in the other. The steel wool cuts the glass down making it smoother without scratching the glass. Make sure you use your washmit to keep the area lubricated or else you will eff up your glass:nonono:

Some points:

Best thing to wash your car with....hand held wash mitt. DO NOT use a sponge-this will scratch the paint over time. (Always use the 2 bucket method...1 for soap and water and 1 for rinsing)

I would recommend a sheepskin mitt. Those cheap synthetic mitts are just that - cheap. I have asked around on several detailing forums and while there are always varying opinions the overall feeling is that sheepskin is safe.

tredsvt98 said:
Best thing to dry the car with....a chamois (best one I've used is the absorber.) DO NOT use a towel.

100% cotton terry towels are just plain inefficient at drying but will not scratch your paint. Microfiber is also safe to use, but be careful because some manufacturers use threads to bind the edges which can scratch. If you're paranoid you can get something like this:

http://www.autogeek.net/red-white-microfiber-towel.html

Again cheap is cheap.

tredsvt98 said:
Best thing to clean windows with....newspaper and some foam glass cleaner-although any glass cleaner will do. Newspaper doesn't streak or leave little white dust particles

Newspaper is awesome on the exterior of windows, but if you have tint on the interior like I do, you must use cloth towels and no ammonia!

tredsvt98 said:
Best thing to get bugs off windshield....a piece of steel wool (not brillo pad) in one hand with wash mitt in the other. The steel wool cuts the glass down making it smoother without scratching the glass.

This one is relatively new to me mainly because I haven't needed to get that drastic. The makers of Brillo actually recommend using their pads on glass as long as there is still soap left in them. Why do you recommend against them in particular?

Also recommended is a strong concentration of rubbing alcohol on windows.

Best thing to clean windows with....newspaper and some foam glass cleaner-although any glass cleaner will do. Newspaper doesn't streak or leave little white dust particles

I like using microfiber towels and Stoners Invisible Glass (spray can foam kind)to clean windows.

Also, don't forget to apply Rain-X on the exterior windows, you'll wonder how you managed in the rain without it. Sometimes when we only get light rain I'll find myself not needing to use the wipers at all because the water beads right up and blows off in the wind.

I like using microfiber towels and Stoners Invisible Glass (spray can foam kind)to clean windows.

Also, don't forget to apply Rain-X on the exterior windows, you'll wonder how you managed in the rain without it. Sometimes when we only get light rain I'll find myself not needing to use the wipers at all because the water beads right up and blows off in the wind.
forget Rain-x, use Aquapel instead. its much better than Rain-x and you only have to apply it about once a year. Instead of just coating the glass, it actually bonds to the glass. Also, it makes scrapping ice off the windshield so much easier in the winter.

You can get it at Tirerack now. while its about $8 each, you can do a full windshield and the front windows on most vehicles (easily on the Contour). I rarely use my wipers during the day when it rains and almost never need to use them at night.

Best thing to wash your car with....hand held wash mitt. DO NOT use a sponge-this will scratch the paint over time. (Always use the 2 bucket method...1 for soap and water and 1 for rinsing)

Best thing to dry the car with....a chamois (best one I've used is the absorber.) DO NOT use a towel.

For me its a 5 gallon bucket with a grit guard, 2 gallons of No Rinse water and a microfiber towel folded in half. Then I wipe it dry with a California water blade which makes it quick and easy.

This one is relatively new to me mainly because I haven't needed to get that drastic. The makers of Brillo actually recommend using their pads on glass as long as there is still soap left in them. Why do you recommend against them in particular?

A friend of mine just had a bad experience with them I just have always used the steel wool and been fine it makes it pretty easy and gets rid of some small surface scratches on older windows

A friend of mine just had a bad experience with them I just have always used the steel wool and been fine it makes it pretty easy and gets rid of some small surface scratches on older windows

The windshield on my daily driver is starting to show its age and tends to chew through wipers now that it has 130k+ miles on it. I might give this a try to see if it smooths out the glass at all.

I'm loving the Mr Clean car washer that wifey got me a couple years ago. I think they still make them. I know it's not "professional", but sure is easy and fast for a quick rinse and blast of the undercarriage in the driveway between waxings. For a more thorough wash, I also use the Mr.Clean but put a soft washing sponge of choice on the other hand (looks like a sponge with dreadlocks, very soft, seems to work great with no scratching), and scrub away the harder dirt and dust that Mr.Clean doesn't get by rinsing alone.

Back