• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

walmart platinum burners

mnewxcv

Hard-core CEG'er
previously known as pro burners. I got these for $20 at walmart. They seem to be stocked everywhere; my store had a handful of them on the shelf. Anyway, I picked em up, and I just want to share my experience. So far they have no been installed. First thing you have to do though, is remove the weather shield under the car. This is held on my a few bolts I removed with an allen wrench that happened to by on the garage floor when I pulled the car in, how convenient. there are 2 at the bottom of each wheel well, and 2 directly under the car behind the lower grill. There were 3 more, But in my case, these were not attached. I spent most of my time under the car trying to get the factory mounts OFF, because as stated in previous threads, chances are, the mounting screws are rusty and dont want to come out. fortunately for me, the mounts are made up of 2 pieces. So once you get the factory fog out of the mount(by bending the mount(its plastic, not metal) and popping the tabs out, unscrew the top screw. that one came out fairly easily for me. then there are some push pins that hold the top half to the bottom half. you pull the center pin out with needle nose pliers and the rest should just come out if you squeeze it together. When i got to the second push pin, I ruined it so badly with pliers that I couldnt salvage it. I really just wanted it out at that point, and didnt mind breaking it. The pins can be replaced and a set of zip ties or screws can be used to hold both mounting parts together.

with the top half out of the way, I found the stubborn screw holding on the lower half. I wd40'd the screw(including the back of it, which you can see from below the car) and let it sit for a few minutes, but I was unable to get it out with a screwdriver. Lucky for me, a 7/32 socket fit, and using an extension and some muscle, it broke free. with that out, it was time to figure out how to mount the new fogs. I test fitted it using duct tape around it to fit the opening in the bumper better, and kept the brackets that came with the kit lose, so that I could see where the mounting holes lined up.

It seems impossible to do it with just the equipment in the kit if you want to reuse the factory location, so I started looking at the factory mounts and tried to come up with a hybrid. anything this way was seeming too complicated, So in the end I just went to home depot and picked up some 2" screws and a box of washers and decided I would mount them the way they stock ones mounted. so after trial and error, I found the correct number of washers needed to make the fog fit the bracket, using the nuts that connected the bracket that came in the kit. this worked, but the fog was free to rotate, so what I did was, I put a nut on the screw after it passed through the bracket but before connecting to the fog, and tightened that up to the inside of the bracket so the fog wasnt free to move. the tighter the better guys. This also allows me to by using the inside screw, adjust the angle of the light(up/down) easily.

anyway, thats the plan at least. Like I said, I havent installed, and right now its dark, but tomorrow I will give it a go and hope for the best. in case you were lost in that whole thing, here are some pics. The bulb is a little crooked looking(not level to the mount) but I am hoping it looks ok when installed. If it comes out ok, I will do a little how to for it.

007.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

011.jpg

ok well I got one mounted and they look pretty good. I wont be able to tell if the alignment is right until night time. As for wiring, I have quite figured it out. I would like to leave the factory bulb attachment so that I could go back to stock at any time, if I ever wanted to, so I figured I would mod the factory bulb. So i broke the bulb off of the legs of the plug part(see photos) and was going to solder the wires from the kit onto them, but either me not being a skilled solderer or the legs not wanting to play, that didnt work out. I think I am going to keep the same plan but use heatshrink. here are some pics at least.

002-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

011-1.jpg

Its not good to handle the glass on those halogen bulbs. Your skin oils will make them fail.

hey guys. sorry been taking me so long. I got the right one mounted and wired. It seems to scatter the light a lot to the right side, so I assume the left will do the same and might blind some people. I am going to try and fix that by adjusting the mounts tomorrow. anyway, heres how I wired it. I took the factory fog bulb and broke the bulb portion off, and spliced the wires for the new fogs and hooked those to the leads of the old bulb using heatshrink tubing. Then I used electrical tape to insulate everything to protect from weather. heres how it came out.

001-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

003-4.jpg

so the wiring plugs on just like the stock bulb did, so i didnt have to touch the factory wiring in case i ever want to replace the stock lights.

i have those same fogs on my 97 i ended up just cutting a block of wood and finding two bolts and the holes lined up perfect in the bumper. they work pretty good. much better then not having fog lights.

I just got a free pair of these and ran the wiring independent from the factory wiring and taped off the ends of the unused plugs. Its a little bit harder mounting them on the SE bumper. I ended up pulling the bumper cover and using the factory brackets similar to you but attached it slightly differently. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Im too lazy to crawl under there and post pics. I mounted them from the bottom instead of the sides and used a nylon spacer instead of a pile of washers.

I love the idea of reusing an old bulb base so you don’t have to cut any wires.
A larger size of heat shrink tubing would be great for the bulb base to wire transition,
fill it with some sealant before shrinking the tubing and you should never have ant problems with the joint.
Some of the sealant oozes out when you shrink the tubing, no big deal just clean it up before it sets….
Also is there a reason why you didn’t cut down the bolts, so that you don’t have to use any washers…? Just curious?

Back