• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

VSS (Vehicle speed sensor - serious problem!

Bacondoggy

New CEG'er
I removed the vss from underneath the car - problem is that the little extended "gear" (or whatever you call it that spins around to detect speed) was already snapped off inside. Its not like I twisted it and snapped it, it looks like it was twisting and snapped off. So worse, its not a square that can easily be removed. #1 obviously the location makes it difficult to try to remove it. I tried needle nose tweezers - no dice. #2 another problem is the ford one that about 1/8" thats snapped off is like a plastic/glass resin, unlike the aftermarket one I got that is metal. Any thoughts or ideas guys? My dad has been working on it non-stop, and from what I hear, he will get a very small piece out now and then, but this is BS. It throws an engine code and therefore I cannot get my car inspected! UGH

best thing to tell you is get out a small drill bit...and tap into it slowly then run a screw into it the opposite direction and twist it out... Hope that helps

I know there isn;t a whole bunch of room but short of removing have the engine b.s. to get to it..thats about it.

Ok fair enough. I think that's what he was trying to do anyways. There is like a greenish plastic(ish) stuff in the VSS hole, surrounding and keeping the broken bit wedged in there. This greenishstuff, can it be damaged, and how important is it (you can see pin marks from a close up picture my dad took)

No Title

ta-da! Fixed!

Attachments

• photo16081.jpg
    photo16081.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo16082.png
    photo16082.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 1
No Title

ta-da! Fixed!

Attachments

• photo16081.jpg
    photo16081.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo16082.png
    photo16082.png
    240.6 KB · Views: 0
.... that green stuff is the plastic helical gear which is driven by a tan colored gear on the final drive shaft.

Any damage to the green plastic helical gear may make the speedo jump if there is a loose location of the VSS drive pin.

You should check the VSS drive pin locates tightly ... if not, you may need to apply a little resin to the helical gear to make up for the missing plastic. Applying grease to the VSS drive pin will stop the pin from bonding to the resin.

You could try the sensor for a while before commiting to bond the VSS drive pin inside the green helical gear.

Worst case scenario .. strip the transmission to replace the green helical gear. These parts new, have become harder to find in recent years. GL ....G.

Back