• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

turbo svt

what i learnt running mine on the streets(sorry mods) is that many ppl just get too anxious to get going. its about strategy. take the already discussed cobalt ss for example. all u really have to do is reduce wheel spin in first n second by taking off at say 3k so that he's only a car length or two by the time u gain traction. by then, the full fury of the 3L turbo will be unleashed. only few can stand up to that rage. besides, for all the talk about how theres more traction on the tracks than street, my first experience last nite sure tells me otherwise.(reference to thread in dyno forum):)

How does taking off at 3K reduce wheel spin? What do you normally take off at? :shocked:

Even if you start from 0 rpm you will have wheel spin. He's probably going to want to baby it off the line in first and then if traction isn't an issue go WOT in second. No use burning the crap out of the tires when you can baby it off the line and get just as far if not further.

taking a loan for an SVT to put a 3L and turbo into it is stupid

I agree. Taking out a loan and paying interest on a car that's depreciating isn't smart imho. Double whammy! Save up your pennies and pay cash at least so your not paying interest. You still won't get your money back out of it when you do eventually sell it, but seriously, if you can't afford it now, don't buy it. I saved for 3 years for my project while I was working in high school and college.

And even when the project does get completed, i can guarantee the reliability of the car will go way down. Once things come off the car, they never seem to work quite the way they used to. It's fun when its working right, but mine was a money pit. I definitely spent more than I anticipated. I had plenty of electrical gremlins, idle issues, cooling issues, etc. It got so bad, I was just happy if I could make it somewhere an hour away. Mine was a daily driver, but I would advise turning it into one. Having an SVT that's completely stock and is reliable is a breath of fresh air. That's my 2 cents. :)

and it really isnt for the kids humilation it also for me for a long time.
CK

you say this isn't the case but because you said it, its more then likely that it really is the case.

you backed this up right here a few posts later

see here is the thing is i want make this kids car eat his ss emblems... he is out of the box preppy rich jackass, i'm more of the outcast gear nut.

who cares about what he things/does/says/does with the car his parents more then likely bought him ....

not a good idea to take a loan to modify a car. save and then do it after the car is payed off.

to get it to where you say you want it to be will cost a large amount. more then you can imagine.

as as others have said, your not going to have much luck dding a car like that. I sure will not, more so after putting the money into it.

I agree. How much is this "WOW factor" worth to you? I just bought an SVT that had $15,000-20,000 worth of mods done over the years... for about $2k more than a stock SVT would have cost. This is a major loosing proposition. Why don't you go buy a Mustang GT or even a older Cobra for $15k?

Why don't you go buy a Mustang GT or even a older Cobra for $15k?

based on what his age sounds like, maybe 18~19, I hope the co-signer is smart enough to not let him get a car like that. I know my parents wouldn't have co-signed a loan so I could get a car like that at that age.

since i finally found a co-signer for my $15000 loan. oh yes how i may joy the 250 a month for 5 yrs, but thanks to school loans it will be paid for next yr.

and how are school loans going to pay this one off in a year? normally school loans are paid directly to the school ...

How does taking off at 3K reduce wheel spin? What do you normally take off at? :shocked:

Even if you start from 0 rpm you will have wheel spin. He's probably going to want to baby it off the line in first and then if traction isn't an issue go WOT in second. No use burning the crap out of the tires when you can baby it off the line and get just as far if not further.

of course taking off at a lower rpm reduces wheelspin on take off. thats how i got the 14 time. i took off about 2800 rpm or so. the turbo kicks in at about 3700 or so. of course it'd be stoopid to floor it in first. the altima R was a car length already in 2seconds. of course that didnt matter as the time slip shows.:cool:

based on what his age sounds like, maybe 18~19, I hope the co-signer is smart enough to not let him get a car like that. I know my parents wouldn't have co-signed a loan so I could get a car like that at that age.

and how are school loans going to pay this one off in a year? normally school loans are paid directly to the school ...

Nope, school loans are distributed to the student or at least some of them are. I bought part of a 2002 Jaguar X-type with one of my school loans. I intended to use it for rent while I was going to school but I had a job that paid for rent and then some. I sold the car a few years later for only slightly less than what I paid for it.

in your opinion of course...:) getting a loan for an svt with fi'd plans is much more fun than using the same loan for say an accord or chevy malibu... or some other boring car.

hey bro. i'll have to bite my tongue on this one and go with the others. it is more fun. no doubt about that. but just not a good idea. most of us with fi'd tours dont use them as our daily driver. somehow 111R in cali is still rolling around in his everyday with little or no problems:). the capacity for them to develop problems multiplies abundantly when air is forced into them. so is it fun? Heck Yeah! practical? Nope. especially if u know u're not gonna have some extra money laying around to fix stuff that comes up after ur car payment every month!!!

I added up all of the receipts the other night and made some conservative estimates for the stuff I didn't have receipts for. All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't try to do it myself with my other ones. I've already put close to $1000 into it since I bought it too (assuming I can get the big LIM from the IC), and the plans aren't finished yet... I haven't even touched the wheels yet. :laugh: I do think though that you obviously enjoyed the car and modifying it, so like all hobbies, it came with a price. You could have played a hell of a lot of golf for that price though. ;)

Believe me, I know the power of the car...but that is just dumb...a house...sure...a new car when your old piece broke...sure. Don't go invest 5000 in a 8 to 10 year old car!

Do what you will

yeah now im cutting back on the dreams and just looking for high 200s low 300s so probably a fully rebuilt 2.5 and turbo'd or just start with a nice 3l swap which i more affordable and work my way from there

ck

I have a 98 mustang gt and a contour svt, and I tell ya what, they both can be money pits. I understand what the op is going through, it's nice to beat the loud mouths, but still, is it really a big deal? nope. 15sec 1/4 mile is going to be slow compared to a 14sec. a 14 sec will look slow compared to a 12sec, and so on and so on. let people talk their crap, and just worry about you.

And yes, do NOT take out a loan man. not a good idea (do what you want of course, hehe)

Back