• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trans question

svtique99

CEG'er
Does anyone know if a 5 speed trans from a 1995 contour would fit in a 1999 mercury mystique and the guy said th 8th digit of the VIN is 3.? any help wold be appreciated!

with the 8th digit being a 3 that means the trans is from a Zetec, so unless you have a Zetec the answer is no.

now, if you do have a zetec, it will fit but the 95-97 trans were rod shift which requires retrofitting the entire setup into the car as well (subframe, shifter, shifter rod, etc).

Replacing synchros is no big deal

Replacing synchros is no big deal

If the rest of the trans is in good shape and double clutching makes the crunch go away, why not just replace the synchros? If you have the tools and skills to pull the trans out, then you have the tools and skills to install new synchos. Not much money either.

I don't know why folks are so afraid of manual and especially automatic transmissions. They are not that hard. In many ways the manual is much easier.

i have the tools and skill to pull it but ive never cracked one open before. dont want to mess up ad then not have any trans or have to put out to much money to have someon fix it. if someoe can point me in the direction to some help on how to do it. I will give it a shot and where can i get new syncros and is there anything else i should put in while im in there and what type of clutch and flywheel does everyon recomend getting??

Information?

Information?

Plenty of books on the MTX 75 transmission, should have all the information you need. Call the dealer up and find out what a complete set of synchros cost. Other parts would be a gasket set, filter if used, and the input and output shaft seals.

As for clutch and flywheel, why not use stock type parts? It is plenty good enough for a stock motor and normal driving and as many on this web site will attest to, the 'performance' parts have been problematic. And it is cheaper.

there not that bad but im sure with everything else added on a rebuild by myself would be close to 400-500..might be cheaper to go the route of getting a new one. Thanks for everything

Back