• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trans leak near the VSS

Ares

Veteran CEG'er
Been trying to track down a small trans fluid leak, V6 ATX. At first I thought it was from the dipstick tube grommet. I swapped out the grommet but now I can see the leak has been coming from somewhere above the VSS. It does not look like its coming from the half shaft seal. Any ideas appreciated? Thanks!

Don't rule out the VSS itself as the leak. I've seen them develop leaks, both the old style where the speedo drive flex cable plugs in, and the newer style that are only electronic. Depending on the trans, they're often right in the path of trans fluid that is splashed up by the ring gear, so they can leak even tho the fluid level is far below the drive gear for the VSS. The old ones would sometimes allow fluid all the way up the speedo drive cable and drip fluid inside the dash.

Wow thats crazy. It does look like its coming from there but I didn't realize it was even possible for fluid to reach that area or not. Thanks!

Back