• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Top Gear

B3NN3TT

Hard-core CEG'er
LeBlanc was fine. Evans was trying WAY too hard.

Not sure why "Extra Gear" is necessary. Seems to me they could easily combine the best parts of both shows, and eliminate a bunch of garbage, and have one relatively solid program.

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
They really should have ditched the previous crews style. They SHOULD however go back to the roots of the magazine, reviewing cars. Watching the Vette chase the Viper, Boring. Reliant cars. Boring and not funny.

It just doesn't work for anyone but them, like us top gear it stinks.

gorman

Hard-core CEG'er
...... it's not just me then.

No original ideas .... just loads of, look we changed it slightly so it's not the old top gear. Lame.

Top Gear was the banter between the guys.

Chris, you need to make your own show like the guys did back then .... that's where the credibility lies ..... G.

BrApple

No Life But CEG
Maybe there will be a transition period. If the show came back completely different then people might want to watch it less than they do now.

What comes to mind is when John Stewart took over the Daily Show. As I recall he very slowly changed the show and made it his own.

B3NN3TT

Hard-core CEG'er
And Top Gear US really changed its format over time as well. If you'll recall, the early episodes were beat-by-beat copies of the UK format, with the in-studio banter, the "reasonably priced car" segment and everything. Now it's an entirely different beast.

Ramon99SVT

CEG'er
I am definitely a fan of the old Top Gear. But, I watched it before Jeremy, James, and Richard, as well, and liked that one, too. It sucks that they had to change hosts, but that's how it goes sometimes. Those guys where getting old, the show seemed to enjoy torturing them, and I wondered how long they would stick around. Especially Jeremy, he seemed to genuinely hate the show towards the end. I like both Top Gears now, but the US version has been my favorite lately. They're all basically the same...shows about cars, which are my favorite things to watch, for sure.

gorman

Hard-core CEG'er
......just watched this week's top gear.

Chris has been getting stick in the media for his shouting presentation style ..... must say, the audio sounds like the guy with the boom mic. is standing in the parking lot. E-C-H-O-I-N-G.

Some good stuff, .new R8 and a 4 wheel drive Focus RS .... I'd like that car as a DD, but more sleeper stylee .... G

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
I agree with pretty much all the sentiments here. They need to change the format totally. Not give us a remix of the previous version. Perhaps they need more time together. We'll see. For now, the show simply sucks. And finally, they really coulda done better for the very first episode. It's the worst of all so far! Tsk tsk tsk... As the boys on nfl countdown would say: C'mon man!

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Just made time for finally watching the new episode off the DVR. Yep, quite a let down. You would never be able to tell that they're actually car guys because they were too busy trying to be funny. Every car review was ruined by the plot they had cooked up. I hope they find their way. I was pretty bored and disappointed.

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Yes actually I just got to watching episode 2 and 3, and both of them were significantly better than the first episode. I'm feeling quite a bit better about the new show.

B3NN3TT

Hard-core CEG'er
Ep. 5 was decent as well. They are scaling back Chris Evans, which is nice. I don't think he needs to be GONE, but if we can just have a little LESS of him (or maybe a LOT less of him), that would be fine. He certainly shouldn't be "the face" of Top Gear.