• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tires

Rick

CEG'er
I need to get some new tires for my 98 SVT with OEM Borbett wheels.(16")
It is my commute car exclusively. In the past I have been partial to the BF Goodrich 215X50x16 KDW's even though they get noisey. Now that they are discontinued I am at a loss for what to buy. I used the Dulops but the sidewalls seem not near as sturdy as thre BF Goodrich tires. I do not drive it agressively or race it, what do you guys suggest. Is the Goodyear F1 still available in that size???

heard good reviews on the Goodyear Eagle F1's.

I just got some Falken 615s. great tire so far and have heard good reviews of the others.

Been a fan of the Bridgestone Potenza tires also.

suggest going to tire rack and reading reviews for the type of tire you want.

I love the RE-050A Potenzas on my G8, but that's a whole different story. I also definitely suggest going to tirerack and reading the reviews. I would get 225/50-16 if I were you. Much more selection in that size, and it makes the car look better, IMO.

Last edited:
Will 225's fit using Stock Wheels or must spacers be used? 205 X 55 X 16's were OEM for 98's. After checking I upgraded to 215 X 50 X 16's like on 2000's. They worked well, clearance was not an issue.

They fit for me...and many many others. I had a really fat set of 225/50-16 that rubbed just the slightest bit in the back when you went over a really big dip or something, but the car looked GREAT with them. Another member on here still has them AFAIK.

My 225/35-19s on 45mm offset wheels don't rub. My 225/45-17s on an unknown offset wheel rub on one of my cars, but not the other. :shrug: My other set of 225/45-17 on 49mm offset FSVT's didn't rub, but I never put them on the car that the other set rubs on. My 215/45-17s on 49mm offset FSVTs obviously didn't rub (stock size). My two sets of 225/50-16s on 49mm offset E1's rubbed a little as described above. My 205/55-16s on 49mm offset E1's definitely don't rub.

I've had a few sets of tires in less than 4 years... :crazy:

i ran 225/50/16 goodyears on E0's w/eibachs and had no issues other than a slight rub on that "bump" in the front inner fenders every once in a while. But as Tx mentioned they look good on CSVT's in that size

From what you described, 205/55/16 seems like the right size for you. I say this for a few reasons. First, if your not going to be driving aggressivly, you don't need the extra rubber on the ground. As a daily driver, your car will have more hydroplane resistance with the narrower tires. If it applies, it will drive better in the snow. Since the 205 is narrower and lighter, you will also get better fuel economy. And lastly, a 205/55/16 tire is cheaper than a 225/50/16 tire.

All true...except for maybe the price. You can get some pretty cheap 225's because they are so common, but I haven't looked into it lately.

Normally if there is a difference in price, it's small. Nothing to really jump up and down over.

Again, I don't race the car but I upgraded the tires to the 215's because it was a model year upgrade that Ford adopted, the little (very) increase in width and lower section height made it look a little more agressive. I had never considered the 225's thinking they would rub, I don't want to change wheels. I just like the OEM look that they have.
The car has been great, 180K easy commute miles, entirely stock, except K& N filter. It gets a fresh dose of Mobil 1 5-30W every 3 or 4000 miles and is still on the original clutch (It's due), replaced the struts once with new OEM units once and changed the brake pads twice, and front rotors once. I want to change the tires & clutch and keep on truck'n. I think it still has good styling.

Stock Springs.

I also have the 225/40/18 Falken 615's. Great tire, wear has been better than expected. It's probably the cheapest "R" compound style out there. Also one of the widest treads for the tire size.

Mine only rub on the driver's rear, due to the folded piece of metal where the bumper meets the body. Nothing major, just needs a rubber mallet :cool:

Honestly, any of the Falken line do great. Between me and my roommate, we have 3 different Falken styles.

I got a set of worn F1s I used for auto X and was actually surprised how good they were for everything else. The Nitto Neo Gens I have on my 17s have also been great. I hated the Flaken ZE512s I had, complete junk. I have had 2 pairs of 225s on my stock wheels and with stock suspension there was no rubbing. With the Konis I have a little bit inner tire rub on complete lock. The reviews on tire rack are very helpful.

Back